Finally a day off.
Overpaint cleaned off and start building it up.
Fittings and parts cleaned up as I go.
The pulley and its internal bearings are on the bench ready for stripping and rebuilding.
Still need to decide which apron im using then thats the top complete. Ish.
Cleaned the mount up then popped the pulleys on the bench.
Given I didnt know the age of the grease apart it comes.
Very nicely made. Beefy bearings and the shaft holes are grooved in a spiral to feed the inernal plain bearings grease as it heats up.
Stepped pulley that drives the spindle runs on ball journals internally. Would like to strip and service but its a puzzler.
Stumped me previously but wasn't until I tried again this evening I remembered.
The outer pulley drives the spindle via keys and key ways. The pulley internals are separated by bearings and fixed to the headstock rear.
3 cap heads visible down the small end locate and secure a ring. This cannot be removed via this end as an internal step is in the way.
2 keys are secured to this from exterior with machine screws.
Only other machine screw is for an oil fill.
On the large end the outer holes are for the spindle lock.
Medium holes secure the pulley inner to the rear headstock
4 small holes preload the bearings from the rear headstock outer.
1 further small blind hole that appears to serve no purpose.
Looking through the medium holes a few cap heads are visible but drilled on a wider diameter and cannot be accessed externally.
Got me stumped.
Drawings are not quite the same as mine. My rear has bearing races rather than the bronze bushings it has at the front.
I was looking at the notch on the large end. It doesn't correlate to anything on the headstock and can see no purpose to it.
Initially thought it may have been to undo something with a c spanner but the inner section appears to be one piece and there's no through holes to lock movement to allow undoing anyhow.
Motor and pulleys assembled and fited.
Pita but got there in the end.
Stepped pulley cleaned and fitted and the doors and slides primed for paint later.
Swapped the compound screw over but while the screws in good shape the bearing surface is worn. Will have to make a new mating surface for it.