SIP Drive motor

1. martinez

martinez Member

west mids uk
    Has anyone thought of doing a ‘Turn your Cosmo into a waste bin ‘ project on here ?
    I’ve just spent 6 hours trying to weld a patch into the floor of my berlingo. Sometimes it welded n sometimes it just stuttered and sometimes it just blew a hole. I’ll try getting a new drive unit and also doing the separate power supply thing, after that if it’s no better, it’s junk !
    My patch looks like it was welded by Stevie Wonder, I dream of mere pidgeon Flip flop !

2. martinez

martinez Member

west mids uk
    Oh yea, mine is a Cosmo 100 gas mig. Will it still be 24v or 12v ?

3. Mattycoops43 Member

I'm putting my SIP140 up for sale now I have upgraded. It has all the mods done and welds really nicely.

4. martinez

martinez Member

west mids uk
    So, I’ve got a Cosmo 100. Which voltage feed motor do I need 12 or 24 volt ?

5. martinez

martinez Member

west mids uk
    I’ve ordered a 24volt

6. martinez

martinez Member

west mids uk
    Have my Cosmo 100 welding better than ever. Using 0.6 wire n co2. Settings on high - max and speed set around 9-10 o’clock. It’s a bit much for thin stuff but welding 2 to 3mm it’s great. I’ve ordered a 24v wire drive from China. It’ll be weeks before it arrives so I’ll muddle on with this for now !

7. martinez

martinez Member

west mids uk
    AA549A60-DAEC-4F31-8AC1-E5E78A44C131.jpeg Well, the new wire drive has arrived. Seems very good quality and all for £24.99 inc post. Pity I actually finished welding the van today ! I’ll need to source a wheel for 0.6 wire, but it looks a very familiar type
    So looks like this’ll be another ‘round to it’ project. Perhaps someone else will bea me to it and I can follow what they did he he

Sean likes this.
  8. Sean Another 602 fan

Edinburgh
    ooh might blow the dust out the sip and fit one of those

i do like to tinker now and again

9. eddie49 Member

Note that these replacement wirefeed assemblies are metal, as opposed to the original plastic ones, and so they will have to be fully insulated from the metal case of the welder.

Sean likes this.
  10. Sean Another 602 fan

Edinburgh
    OOh good point!

11. martinez

martinez Member

west mids uk
    They do come with insulating kit (Basically some plastic bits) and fixing bolts as photo, also they use these
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MIG-Weld...-Wheel-0-6-0-8-Kit-30mm-030-035-/273777278965
    Or you can save money n buy from China for £2-40.
    They are fixed from the base so you’ll need to cut a 50mm hole for the motor to poke through and 85mm deep the other side. Bit of 25mm angle should do to fit it.
    The unit is 140mm high by 80mm wide and 55mm deep when fitted, but you’ll need to leave a gap between the unit and the welder or insulate it. Also the wire feed is 35mm from the rear of the unit.
    Hope that’s useful.
    I’ll put me tape measure back now then

Advertisements