SIP Drive motor

1. Mattycoops43 Member

Hi everyone.

It's been a long time since I have been on here, I did all the mods to my SIP topmig 130T a couple of years ago and have been using it very successfully ever since.

Today I just finished a job and the wire stopped feeding, the drive motor has given up the ghost. I tried cleaning it out with some WD40 and it started again, but then caught fire. :D

Is there a better alternative than a SIP spare, (assuming I can get one), It is just a standard small electric motor. I have not looked yet to see how the drive is attached? I am assuming it is interchangeable.

Does anyone know the size of motor I need? Can I put in a motor that will run a bit faster as on high settings I am running out of wire speed.

Thanks.

Matt

2. skotl

skotl Forum Supporter

A long, long time ago @mike 109444 had some spare motors - dunno if he'd still have one.

That said, it is just a ~20-24VDC motor so you should be able to swap it out as long as either the shaft or gearing matches.

Mattycoops43 likes this.
  3. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

You can get a motor and feed combined on eBay for about £20, cheaper if you can wait for post from China. Just put mig welder wire feed motor in the search.

Mattycoops43 likes this.
  4. Mattycoops43 Member

Thanks I'll have a look. I was searching too specifically and getting nowhere. Probably a good chance to dump the rubbish roller set up which needs bracing.

Matt

Sean likes this.
  5. mike 109444

mike 109444 Member

uk Bristol
    If you are any where near the Royal Gwent hospital next Thursday (working in there) then I can chuck a couple in the car if you want to give them a try FOC.

• 06092012352.jpg
    • 20150106_195217.jpg
    • 20150106_195103.jpg
  6. skotl

skotl Forum Supporter

Very generous, as ever, Mike :thumbup:

7. Sean Another 602 fan

Edinburgh
    Watch the shaft diameter id looked in to replacing the motor on mine but finding a motor with the small spindle was difficult

Ebay £20 wire feed assembly would be my route

(Might still do it even though ive fixed my welder problems by buying a thermal arc 181i)

8. Mattycoops43 Member

Thanks for the very kind offer!

I already had one on order, I got the £20 gearbox and motor off ebay. Fitted it this afternoon. Bit of a job as I had to recess it down by 13mm into the welder but it's welding SO much better. Only thing I need to do now is change from a 20v PSU to a 24v as the max speed is a tad low. Ok up to setting 4 but not enough speed for 5 and 6. I think the previous motor may have been a lower voltage, which would explain it burning out (although 15yrs is not a bad stretch)

I picked up a 2.8kva generator today for next to nothing. I am hoping it will power my 130A mig at least up to half power? Going to have a play tomorrow. At least being able to weld thin stuff in the middle of nowhere will be useful.

slim_boy_fat and skotl like this.
  9. skotl

skotl Forum Supporter

Glad to hear your welder is moving on! I found that all of the fiddling and fettling meant that I ended up knowing way more about how welders work, than I did at the start!

As for the generator question, it's been asked many times on here; just search for "welder generator" or, more simply; "generator".
    The first point is that you need to ensure that your genny has an AVR (auto voltage regulator), which is a half-mechanical/half-electronic bit of trickery that pushes the generator's RPM to supply the required voltage. If your genny doesn't have an AVR then you shouldn't try it with a welder, or any other inductive load, otherwise you could damage the generator and/or the welder.

Next thing is that an inductive load needs two-to-three times its stated load at startup. Assuming a 130A (at 50VDC) welder at full tilt then that's 130*50 = 6500w. Add the inductive startup requirement of 2-3 times then you're at 13KVA to 19.5KVA (I'm assuming watts == KVA, which is probably close enough for this).

If we work backwards from your 2.8KVA generator, then that suggests a maximum supported load of 56A at 50V. Divide that by two or three and your welder might start at 28A (for 2x) or 18A (for 3x).

Log story short; if your generator doesn't have an AVR, then don't plug a welder into it. If it does, and it's rated at 2.8kva then you shouldn't push your welder beyond 18 to 28A indicated.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  10. Mattycoops43 Member

Thanks.
    My idea was basically to try the welder on the lowest power setting, see what kind of load it is putting on the generator and try the next setting etc. It has a voltage gauge on the side and when the seller demo'd it, he plugged a kettle into it, and the voltage stayed the same but the engine note changed so I am pretty sure it is regulated.

My thoughts are probably to leave the mig in the workshop and look at one of these small inverter arc units for mobile stuff., but again, only for thin material

Matt

skotl likes this.
  11. mike 109444

mike 109444 Member

uk Bristol
    Good to see you got it sorted Matt.
    You might want someone watching the generator while you strike up with your mig just in case it does not like it! Or set up your mobile phone to record the display on the genny while you weld.

Mattycoops43 likes this.
  12. Mattycoops43 Member

Good call. I can rest my hand on something, and get the gap set up, then hit the trigger while watching the dial. Just like tacking without a visor! :D

13. Mattycoops43 Member

Just an update for anyone who is interested. Today I finished my mig off, I had done the drive motor, but then I fitted an adaptor of the correct 24v to power it, as it was running on 20v before.

HUGE difference. It now welds beautifully on all power settings, I have never got it to weld properly on full power before. now the wire speed is so stable I can turn it right down so I get a beautiful stable arc, almost no spatter. Now I have a welder that is actually welding properly, I need to do some proper practising to refine my technique rather than just splatting weld on. I had a play today found the perfect horizontal weld speed would just drip off a vertical weld, but a much higher setting worked really well. Previously I have not really messed with speed setting unless I changed power, but I think I was just running it all too fast.

Sadly a 2.8kv Generator is no match for a mig even on setting one, It would try, but the gen was pulsing up and down trying to keep up as the arc formed and exploded. No probs. The genny was a bargain and I can sell it for what I paid. Put the money towards a DC welder.

Sean, skotl and slim_boy_fat like this.
  14. skotl

skotl Forum Supporter

Good work - pleased for ya :clapping:

It's really satisfying when something like this works out, and it makes such a difference!

15. martinez

martinez Member

west mids uk
    My Cosmo has never really welded well. I think the motor/gearbox wire feed piece of *NO SWEARING ON THIS FORUM* has always been faulty and isn’t a patch on my big welder. Like others I only use it for thin stuff like cars but it’s never been smooth and seems to speed up and slow down in a sort of slow oscillation. Which replacement parts did you buy off Fleabay ? Seems a cheap fix worth a go
    Cheers

16. Mattycoops43 Member

I got one of these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-24V-1...e-Feeder-GB-/223425869945?hash=item3405383879

Except I found one the same for about £12 from memory. Made a big difference. Fitting was very fiddly, because the output was too high for the torch fitting, so I had to actually recess it into the top plate of my welder, but that's goin gto depend on your machine, and some of the adverts have full dimensions I think so you can check.

Matt

17. Stotty23 Member

United kingdom - East Midlands - chesterfield
    I have a cosmo 145 mig welder what's really annoying me is that is the that the power control that goes from 1 to 6 if I say put it on 6 and say wire feed on 0 the machine acts like it's on power 1 the more I.turn the wire feed up the more volts/power the welder gets if that makes sense it's like the wire feed is like a power setting as Well say I leave the wire speed control at 0 and put it on power 1 wire comes out dead slow then go up to power 2 wire comes but faster power 3 wire faster power 4 wire faster up to power 6 were it comes out even faster etc what I'm trying to get at if this all makes sense and anyone can help is does the sip/cosmo mig welders wire speed control determine the power/volts as Well as the power setting and same other way round does the power setting make the wire come out faster etc like is there like a auto wire speed for different power setting as I can get it to weld etc but it's putting cold welds down like there not enough power on setting 6 for the amount of wire coming out but if I turn wire up it also makes more power but still in same boat were it's now got plenty of power but wire comes out far to fast I've tried to turn ahust the little screw thing on the main board but it's not really helping it's stressing me out lol

18. Mattycoops43 Member

They do that, WFS control does not change the power, it is just the other way round. Power switch changes wire speed. idea being once it's set it is somewhere in the ball prk.

Fit a separate PSU to power the wire feed, it removes that effect and also gives much more stable wire feed.

If it's chucking too much wire out on high power settings, just turn the wire feed down, it does not reduce the power.

Matt

skotl likes this.
  19. Stotty23 Member

United kingdom - East Midlands - chesterfield
    Can you tell me how I would fit a separate PSU to the unit at all I have photos of inside my welder if that helps I'm not great with electrics I'm a welder not a sparky haha but I'm not daft like as I do rebuild bikes and cars etc so I should be okay if I get some sort of photos and what parts etc are required thanks

20. Mattycoops43 Member

There are various threads on here about upgrading SIP welders. It's all in there. Have a read through the SIP welders section. There are other mods that work well too.

Advertisements