SIP Drive motor

1. Mattycoops43 Member

Hi everyone.

It's been a long time since I have been on here, I did all the mods to my SIP topmig 130T a couple of years ago and have been using it very successfully ever since.

Today I just finished a job and the wire stopped feeding, the drive motor has given up the ghost. I tried cleaning it out with some WD40 and it started again, but then caught fire. :D

Is there a better alternative than a SIP spare, (assuming I can get one), It is just a standard small electric motor. I have not looked yet to see how the drive is attached? I am assuming it is interchangeable.

Does anyone know the size of motor I need? Can I put in a motor that will run a bit faster as on high settings I am running out of wire speed.

Thanks.

Matt

2. skotl

skotl Forum Supporter

A long, long time ago @mike 109444 had some spare motors - dunno if he'd still have one.

That said, it is just a ~20-24VDC motor so you should be able to swap it out as long as either the shaft or gearing matches.

Mattycoops43 likes this.
  3. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

You can get a motor and feed combined on eBay for about £20, cheaper if you can wait for post from China. Just put mig welder wire feed motor in the search.

Mattycoops43 likes this.
  4. Mattycoops43 Member

Thanks I'll have a look. I was searching too specifically and getting nowhere. Probably a good chance to dump the rubbish roller set up which needs bracing.

Matt

Sean likes this.
  5. mike 109444

mike 109444 Member

uk Bristol
    If you are any where near the Royal Gwent hospital next Thursday (working in there) then I can chuck a couple in the car if you want to give them a try FOC.

• 06092012352.jpg
    • 20150106_195217.jpg
    • 20150106_195103.jpg
    skotl likes this.
  6. skotl

skotl Forum Supporter

Very generous, as ever, Mike :thumbup:

7. Sean Another 602 fan

Edinburgh
    Watch the shaft diameter id looked in to replacing the motor on mine but finding a motor with the small spindle was difficult

Ebay £20 wire feed assembly would be my route

(Might still do it even though ive fixed my welder problems by buying a thermal arc 181i)

Advertisements