Show us your lathe

1. pressbrake1

pressbrake1 Forum Supporter

essex england
    Dsg came with three fixed steadies and a travelling. Had to make one for the lang and the monarch came with a broken one.
    Tbh most of my work is geo technical or hydraulic so big stuff only so no need for a travelling steady ,fixed only is the order of the day

spencer 427 likes this.
  2. spencer 427

spencer 427 Member

uk colchester
    I like this

3. spencer 427

spencer 427 Member

uk colchester
    Could be

4. dobbslc

dobbslc Forum Supporter

Cheers @spencer 427 that's my first ever post on the forum!

spencer 427 likes this.
  5. Reman

Reman Member

I had to go to the freezer in the garage earlier. I had my phone on me, and as my little lathe is one of the few things that isn't buried IN junk (Just surrounded by junk. :( ), I got a couple quick pics to put on here.....

[​IMG]
    It's a pretty little 1930's/40's "Willmott Ideal" that I got last year. It's officially got a 3 1/2" swing and 18" bed, But you could easily get an 8" face plate spinning in that gap. So far it's only has a light recommissioning, mainly just the bearings and ways checked for trouble, and a couple of little tweeks. The biggest change was to kludge together a countershaft and swinging motor mount to hang off the back of the stands legs. I didn't like the looks of the original motor (A 1hp single phase monster made by "Higgs Motors"), To me it looks way too much like something the fire brigade would eventually pull out of the smoldering remnants of the garage saying "Well, That's what started it all mate", So I didn't even bother testing it. I just went out and bought a new 3/4hp jobby to make the spinny bit's turn. It needed a couple of wick oilers, So I made some cheap and cheerful ones from plumbing pipe caps, some heating pipe, and copper brake pipe. The mounting pipes go up through the middle so the fiberglass wick goes around in the chamber then loops up and through the center turret to sort of slow motion syphons the oil into the bearings. They slightly over oil, But they work fine for now.

As I didn't get any change gears with this I've also started adding a wiper motor to the lead screw to have at least some power feed......

[​IMG]

I've built a control box for it with a PWM speed controller, reverse switch, and as it's a wiper motor, another switch so I can choose to run it using the high or low speed windings. Haven't used that in anger yet as I've found that I've got a rather annoying unforseen problem with the 12v wiper motor doing all kinds of weirdness when the lathes motor earth is connected. Haven't a clue WHY it does this, But I'm not going to do the simplest fix of running the motor without a ground!!! It would probably be easy enough to make some nylon top hats and washers to isolate the wiper motor from it's mounting plate, But I just haven't got around to trying that out yet.

It's got some wear I need to address in the top slide, The half nut handle needs fixing, And the compound slides bearing mount is in need of a little TLC, But all in all, I still think it was a pretty good buy. Once it's all back to 100% I'll strip it down and give it some cosmetic love. :)

Reman.

Arc Tourist likes this.
  6. MBB Forum Supporter

No pics.

7. awemawson Forum Supporter

Take the lathe OUT of the freezer, THEN take the pictures :clapping:

8. mr migwire

mr migwire It's more fun with metal.

further to post 397 i moved the boxford under drive lathe on and kept the rear drive A model, i have cleaned up the workings and the ways etc and the lathe sees ocasional use, the problem i had was the compound slide slot for the tool post had been damaged and repaired and so the tool post height was off meaning you could only use small tools etc. happily i have now purchased a replacement compound slide so i may get the finger out and and start on the restoration / repaint.
    next on the shopping list will be a quick change tool post and i will be pestering the membership here for advice....

20200408_131908.jpg 20200408_131918.jpg 20200416_181434.jpg 20200416_181442.jpg 20200416_181448.jpg 20200416_181524.jpg

Hood, slim_boy_fat and Rannsachair like this.
  9. Reman

Reman Member

Lathe.jpg

Lathe PLS.jpg
    Did that work?

Edit - it looks like it's worked from this end, But inserting Google photo hosted images on some forums has always been a little hit or miss for me.

10. Lazurus

Lazurus Member

One for the woodies, a VB36 - 36" over the bed, 5` 9" with bed bars removed. 2-1/4" main shaft runs on a thin film of oil. Smooth quiet and heavy.

• VB36.jpg
    brewdexta, Maker, Dcal and 3 others like this.
Advertisements