Shall I start Welding?? (Please respond)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bourbon Member

the original OP has Got to be a wing up. I'm a FLT driver and on nowhere near 2 grand a month. As someone else said on here, Enjoyment of the job is way better than earning loads of dosh. IMO

stuvy likes this.
  2. Badger1bear

Badger1bear If your not on fire, then your too far away

0AF17D08-2AB1-494A-B864-64318AC94110.jpeg

I am job ?

Windy Miller, slim_boy_fat and stuvy like this.
  3. owas

owas Member

I usually do around £2000 a month, don't ask how many hours a week I work and how awful my body is already at 26 though :D

stuvy likes this.
  4. owas

owas Member

Here's an email I got the other day that made me laugh.

'
    • Working productively and as part of a team in a fast paced environment
    • High gauge pipe welding (MMA)
    • MIG Welding on mild steel
    • Working on up to 2m diameter pipes
    • Pattern developments, working from any angle
    • Reading from engineering drawings
    Experience / Requirements:

• You MUST be a skilled Pipe Welder with the ability to MIG weld (MMA)
    • You will take pride in your work and ensure that each product meets standards
    • A minimum of 3 years' experience
    • The ability to work to deadlines in a team environment is essential
    • Must be able to read from engineering/fabrication drawings'
    For £9.70 an hour! I can't imagine anyone's actually applying

steve t, brightspark, stuvy and 2 others like this.
  5. cianh91

cianh91 Member

If it’s anything like here they probably are getting loads of applicants. Biggest problem iv found in steel industry is lads working for next to nothin loads of big name engineering company’s here paying €10-€11 qualified . I honestly won’t get out of bed for that little but the fact so many will is causing a wage problem . As for original poster has to be a p****take no experience expected higher end money

eLuSiVeMiTe and Lordspectre like this.
  6. Hitch

Hitch Moderator Staff Member

Somerset
    £9.70/hr? Got a trainee at work on more than that :laughing:

stuvy likes this.
  7. owas

owas Member

They are starting to struggle now I think,
    Alot of the eastern European welders I've spoke to won't work for that sort of money now either, so I don't know what they're going to do?

stuvy likes this.
  8. stuvy

stuvy Member

Coffee makes 94% profit I’d go for that not welding

9. Lordspectre

Lordspectre If it aint broke, tinker with it anyway

ridiculous offer

10. Liquid Metal

Liquid Metal Member

2 grand a month, and approaching 4 grand a month coded welding pipe welding (working 10+ hours o/time a week) is definitely do-able.
    We get that on paye, dependant on how much overtime is on the plate. Not going into how much we clear on a flat 40hr week though, as to be quite frank, thats none of your business without being rude. Work has slowed up a bit over the last 2 months, so no overtime atm. But fair bit of work on and we're waiting for drawing to be released from the offices so should pick up a bit within next couple of weeks lol.
    But, that is for coded welding (asme codes) tig and stick welding pipework, carbon steel and stainless mainly with a bit of duplex, chromoly and monel thrown in every now and then. Dual-shield fluxcore every now and again too on 18" and above. Every job we do has at least 10% radiography. With quite a few, especially work for gas processing, needing 100%.
    Level 1 training isnt goinf to earn you much at all, especially if only in mig welding.
    An apprenticeship? Unfortunately thats the only way to not be seen as semi skilled, no matter how many tickets youve got or might get.
    Not going to earn that sort of money mig welding general fabrications or railings, or structural steelwork though, not as an employee anyway, settinf up your own business you might do though?

But to think you're going to earn that amount of money without 10-15yrs proveable experience of working to set standards behind you??? That is simply not going to happen.

Richard., steve t and addjunkie like this.
  11. stuvy

stuvy Member

Can this thread just be locked as it’s not going to solve the OPs imaginary problem

Bullet2012, Richard. and addjunkie like this.
Advertisements
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.