Sgs sc100v woes...

1. Myles1970

Myles1970 Member

Hi folks.... been having problems with my compressor. Bought from UK company SGS Engineering, inside of warranty but the cost of sending it back from deepest darkest Eire would be prohibitive.
    Anyways, it's been taking longer and longer to reach pressure and shutoff, so I had a look-see. Turned out 3 head bolts were a little loose. Tightened to no avail so opened her up. (I could feel the hot rush of air but had suspected it was from the fan but no).
    So gasket is breached.... IMG_20200629_153620.jpg
    The offending article...
    IMG_20200629_152515.jpg
    ....the offending gasket....

Anyone else had similar? Any suggestions? I'm going to contact SGS obviously...

fizzy likes this.
  2. Seadog

Seadog Forum Supporter

Only on a 50yo Ingersoll-Rand.

20200331_185519.jpg

Myles1970 likes this.
  3. Myles1970

Myles1970 Member

At 50 years old it doesn't owe you much

Got a response from SGS, said they'd have the parts out to me midweek

4. Jbo2231

Jbo2231 Forum Supporter

Same situation for me roughly.
    Very poorly built machines, nothing torqued correctly and shoddy workmanship. Warranty less than helpful as like you said they want you to send it back and wont even let you drop it off.
    My suggestion would be to start saving!

Edit: I have one with a burnt out motor and the same situation with the gasket. If you want the pistons or capacitors or any spares let me know (you cant have the tank as it's an extension of my new system) it will be going in the skip in a few weeks

Myles1970 likes this.
  5. Myles1970

Myles1970 Member

Cheers pal. In fairness they've said they'll send on the parts, tho I'm looking into gasket material to make them myself just in case they don't follow through.
    I'll let you know if I need anything ;)

6. Seadog

Seadog Forum Supporter

I wish. I bought it last year for £20. It must have cost me around £250 in total, and I've not finished it yet :D

But it's a beautiful beast and very quiet.

Hopefuldave and Myles1970 like this.
  7. Myles1970

Myles1970 Member

Forgot about updating this; anyway I got fed up waiting for the gaskets from SGS and got some gasket material locally. Soz no pics, but suffice to say it's sorted and has been good as gold ever since.

SGS were true to their word and I have 2 spare gaskets here just in case. Compressor has been working fine ever since if a little loud. I've been using it to run cheap tools including a small cut-off wheel, a 10mm belt sander, mini DA sander, air shear, air hammer, air body saw and a flanger/hole punch (but not all at once ;))

Unfortunately, the thermal cutout switch self-destructed when taking the cover off so I'm on a wing and a prayer safety wise :whistle:

roofman likes this.
Advertisements