Seen TIGgers using bare hands - how dangerous?

1. Ouch

2. Liquid Metal

Liquid Metal Member

Most of the tig welding i do is from about 75 up to 180 amps. For long periods of time too, ie feed in a full filler rod before stopping sometimes.
    Higher amperages are gonna cook my fingers so gloves all the time for me lol

Hopefuldave likes this.
  3. Carl Wilson Member

When I see people on YouTube etc tig welding with no gloves, it makes me wonder as follows.

How come they don't understand that you can buy as many pairs of gloves as you like, but you will only ever get one pair of hands?

4. Stingray Member

On the Tv the personalities filmed for about two seconds welding just for the camera, Joe Bloggs will finish it off, they’re usually in America and that explains a lot...

5. tim-ber Member

I used to work in a thermal spray coatings Dept hand spraying at times, when you got a flash off a 600/800 amp plasma gun you stung a bit necks and cuffs were the common area !!!. The bloody thing would find the slightest gap

6. PSweeney Member

Herts
    had neck and bicept flash burns a few times, always use long sleeve now.

7. Tom_ERST_S2 Member

Got lazy yesterday as it was sweltering in the workshop and didn’t put a long sleeve top on. Arms are a bit pink today now so will definitely have my arms covered in future.

8. Carl Wilson Member

There is a folk song by Karine Polwart, all about the guys who worked in the Glasgow Shipyards who then all ended up with industry related injuries or conditions:-

"You can float a boat of steel upon the ocean,
    You can fix it up with nuts and bolts and toil,
    But you can't weld a body when it's broken..."

cianh91 likes this.
  9. Carl Wilson Member

For the curious, and those with an interest in the social and economic history of The United Kingdom, here are the full lyrics to this beautiful song:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/radioballads/2006/ships/lyrics_cantweld.shtml

This comes from a series called the Radio Ballads. The original ballads were produced in the 50s. A reimagining of them in the 2000s saw songs like this recorded. They tell the history of our country from the perspective of the actual men and women who made it. The lyrics of the songs are based on interviews with actual shipyard workers, munitionettes and so on.

Rustwelder likes this.
Advertisements