Seen TIGgers using bare hands - how dangerous?

1. Curiousgeorge Member

Hi all.
    In the various places I’ve been in the last six months I’ve seen lots of TIG welders not using gloves, usually only tacking up (but not all) and even cupping the arc so as to not flash others nearby.

It seems to me that this is dangerous due to the UV rays but how dangerous is it? Obviously any UV is not good but these guys are oblivious to the risks, it would seem.

2. Radiation burns, skin cancer, heat burns, all the usual stuff

stuvy, Parm and pressbrake1 like this.
  3. chunkolini

chunkolini celebrity artiste

Melted a finger nail.
    Agonising and smelly.

mike os, stuvy and Anguz like this.
  4. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

One of the most painful burns I've ever had was molten sealing wax on a nail, from the days when we used to seal packages of bank notes with the the stuff. :doh:

Don't try it at home.......:vsad:

fizzy and Wallace like this.
  5. earthman Member

Most of the programmes I watch on TV, guys welding with bare arms or no gloves etc seem to be a common thing,....I would have thought that the H&S bods would be able to clamp down on them showing this behavior, it's not setting a good example for newbies is it.

Hopefuldave likes this.
  6. Fazerruss

Fazerruss Member

West Yorkshire
    I'd be interested to know the science behind this. I know uv causes skin burn and is created from arc welding but I have noticed whenever I tack stuff together or do a small run with dc tig with Un covered hands (stupid of me I know) I don't seem to get sun burn like I would if I were to do the same with mig.
    To me a tig arc looks more like a plasma flow of electrons rather than a flash of arc jumping across two electrical contacts. To compare, is a plasma ball using similar principles to tig (pure electron flow in an inert gas)? And you don't see any warnings signs for uv on those when on display in science museums?

I could be talking bull here!!
    Just wondering?

7. ronan

ronan Member

dublin
    Tig Welding for over twenty years and rarely wear gloves, even the thin ones. Nothing has happened to my hands. I used to find it difficult to feed the rod with my left hand while wearing a glove, so gave up on them. I do wear gloves when sticking or migging.

8. Bladevane

Bladevane Member

Try TIG welding for an hour with an open necked shirt and you’ll soon find out how much UV (or sunburn) is generated. PPE is developed and specified for good reason.

johnik, backpurge, zx9 and 2 others like this.
  9. zeppelin builder

zeppelin builder Member

if youve ever had arc eye its a fair warning
    eyeballs ,skin dont take kindly to the blue light,
    insectocutors for humans ,we probably cant even see most of the dodgy rays ,it like sunburn but 100 fold worse
    Strange but mericans seem to be immune to it !

rory1 likes this.
  10. rory1

rory1 Member

I had a bad burn on my wrist not so long ago, tig'in at about 120amps, id lost my left hand welding glove so I used a normal short cuff rigger glove, I had a two inch stripe around my lower arm where the arc was shining upon my overall sleeve. very painful and it stunk like burnt bacon

11. Jlg

Jlg Member

I regularly tack and do short runs without when I cba looking for my gloves the worst burn I've had off it was on my thumb nail when I was holding a bit together to tack it and it blew though the metal

12. chris pruteanu Member

i use quality deer skin gloves, i find them comfortable enough to weld with however for really thick alluminium i usw thick gloves, i haave a few scars on my arms from welding along the years, some were really painful and took long time to heal ! As above, use PPE as its your bacon youre burning !

Bladevane likes this.
  13. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

I always wear gloves with Tig, for the UV but also because I seem to be very sensitive to electrical shocks, I even get shocks from disconnecting 12v batteries on boats if I am kneeling on the the damp deck, HF on Tig is 1000x worse :D

14. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

When feeding 0.8mm wires and below i sometimes dispense with the glove. Its very rare im welding that thin.

UV increases with the amperage. Worse burns youlll get are from spray & pulse mig and open arc wires.

I have been sunburnt from the tig before welding at 35-70A range for a day. Was so hot in the workshop and the job needed to go out. Had sleeves on and a tshirt. Got burnt from the elbow to the tshirt line. Agony.

15. Blackolive

Blackolive Member

uk lancs
    Argon emits strongly in the UV region of the spectrum.

These lamps give enough at 15mA to cause things to flouresce.

http://www.lamptech.co.uk/Spec Sheets/D G Ar GE AR1.htm

so Imagine the UV caused by an Argon Plasma in the tens of amps.

Its like anything else, clever ******* who are only fooling themselves, It wont give you skin cancer if you are wearing the correct PPE.

Hopefuldave and Bladevane like this.
  16. Curiousgeorge Member

Brilliant. It genuinely blows my mind why people take the chance (repeatedly, daily).

Hopefuldave likes this.
  17. Richard.

Richard. Member

Your hands are thick skinned and subjected to use everyday which toughens the skin and makes them more resistant to radiation burns than say your wrist neck or face which is why people can get away with it to a degree. They will burn though through that’s a fact. It just may take more exposure than other parts of your body.

Kent and WorkshopChris like this.
  18. Pete.

Pete. Member

Are you ginger? Might just be mega-static :D

Wallace likes this.
  19. Carl Wilson Member

More resistant to radiation burns? That's ok then...

Tig (or any other sort) of welding without gloves and you need your bumps felt.

20. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

Nope and bald as a coot now anyway but never had sunburn and that is not because of my location, just tan. :)

Wallace likes this.
Advertisements