Second attempt

1. shorter_alexander Member

Hi guys,

this is my second attempt. I.bought some 3mm from eBay this is actually 2mm. Can someone critique these welds for me and tell me what i should look out for? I feel like they are ok and I’m ready to start sticking bits together. Thanks guys,

Alex

• F40328BF-E92E-4641-BA46-38A8D24A7E72.jpeg
    • 0C8B33C7-4B51-4A98-90FE-244338023204.jpeg
    • 282E05B8-5BF5-4939-BA50-27C7A5EA42FD.jpeg
    johnik likes this.
  2. TechWise Member

That looks pretty good to me for a second attempt. You'll get a better feeling for travel speed and penetration once you start trying to stick things together.

I would steer well clear of buying small quantities of metals online if at all possible. The pricing for most of it is astronomical. Get yourself to a steel stockholder and ask them to cut up the biggest piece of 3mm sheet you can affort. Hours of practice on good clean steel without paying inflated prices.

3. dobbslc

dobbslc Forum Supporter

Or give them a tenner and ask to rummage around their scrap bins.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  4. MoreWellie Member

Not sure what you are using in terms of welding process wire, gas,settings but

If using gas mig: The amount of splatter suggests you may have the wire speed a bit high

5. shorter_alexander Member

Thanks that’s great. I’m having to move quicker than I thought I was going to have to to stop the sheet from burning through. I’m practicing so that I can do some car body repairs. So will try sticking some of these bits together and then when I get a feel for speed and what I should be looking for, I’ll move on to the car. Thanks, this is a great forum!

6. shorter_alexander Member

Yep using gas mig. 0.8 wire and argon and c02. I kind of cheated and got a synergic welder so I’ll just creep down the wire speed a little and hopefully reduce some of the spatter. Thanks guys.

tom2207 likes this.
  7. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

You'll have to adjust everything when you get to the bodywork. Nothing as thick as 3mm, more like 1.00mm or even 0.8mm

8. angellonewolf

angellonewolf Member

the c02 is the reason you have lots of splatter is it not a mix gas?

i use pure co2 but dont realy do thin stuff its rare i can do it but its way harder

9. shorter_alexander Member

Sorry yeah it’s an argon Co2 mix. I started on some really thin sheet just doing the thin metal technique and then just to get a feel for welding it was suggested I should buy some 3mm, when I’ve got the hang of sticking them together I’ll move back to 1mm stuff but just wanted to get a feel for welding to start with really.

• A411F552-F9C7-4E2D-81CB-401DDE528FB6.jpeg
    tom2207, hunter27 and angellonewolf like this.
  10. Munkul

Munkul Member

Cumbria, UK
    That's very very hot and wet. I'd keep the wire speed high and turn the voltage down, possibly wire speed too.

Having said that, it's quite a heavy gas mix, would be less spatter on a 5% CO2 mix, but it will be fine anyway.

You need to run joints :)

Country Joe likes this.
  11. Country Joe Argoshield Dark

Or maybe not quite enough gas coming through.
    I generally tend to think of brown, sooty welds being a gas issue.
    It is quite spattery, though - but there may be a bit too much wire going in there too, I suspect.

Seems it is a mixed gas.

You may just need to turn the flow up slightly, or shield the area with something, if there are draughts about.
    1mm usually seems fairly easy to butt weld at the bench - it's just when you start doing it on a car that it becomes tricky!

All the Best,
    CJ

Wallace likes this.
  12. Country Joe Argoshield Dark

Yeah, I didn't notice that 82/18 mix, there!
    It'll be much spittier than argoshield light.

All the Best,
    CJ

13. shorter_alexander Member

Thanks guys, so basically too high a voltage and possibly too high on the wire speed? I’ll turn the voltage down a lot lower, gas up a bit higher and leave wire speed to see then post some pics and see what you guys think if that’s ok? Thanks so much guys it’s so very appreciated.

14. Al Strachan

Al Strachan Not Funny

^^ this.

personally i'd be going to the scrappy and getting hold of some old panels

15. shorter_alexander Member

Yeah that’s kinda what I thought. This was my attempt at 1mm

• 74CDD781-606D-4607-85AD-74B75FB1C715.jpeg
    • AD17F46E-D6FD-4AC9-851C-0179603E0094.jpeg
    • 41E55406-9141-4B30-A518-CEDF1DE75376.jpeg
    hunter27 likes this.
  16. angellonewolf

angellonewolf Member

have you got a pea shooter ?

[​IMG]

sets the gas better than the reg on your bottle and not waste gas

17. shorter_alexander Member

Sorry how do you mean?

18. shorter_alexander Member

Ah like this?

• 6178E2FF-79BB-4AB6-B5AE-785C3C276FA4.png
  19. shorter_alexander Member

Ok got two bits together. Guessing bolts too low though as no penetration at the back? Bolts were 19.1 wire speed was 4.4m/s?

thanks guys

• B35F0572-EF48-450E-8590-2C37288A6C40.jpeg
    • 45CC4FF7-6661-4A47-A639-0BF9A51E6867.jpeg
  20. Country Joe Argoshield Dark

Can't see too much in the first photo.
    The second makes it look as if you were welding vertically upwards - if so, you'll find it easier in a flat (i.e. horizontal) position.
    Still looks like not quite enough gas (the brown, sooty stains), but some of the spatter could be down to the "heavy" gas mix you're using - it does vaguely resemble straight co2.

Having said that, it's got a fairly consistent profile, so travel speed is quite constant.
    Regarding the spatter - are you holding a particularly long (or even a very short) arc?

I wouldn't know the volts & wire-feed speed on (assuming 3mm steel?) that thickness would be, without looking at the display while welding - and I think it changes constantly, so I'd only get a "snapshot" of the parameters as they were at the very end of the weld.

I could go down & find out for comparison, if you want - but I think it changes with arc length, and probably measures a few other variables, too.

Every welder seems to have it's "sweet-spot" where the spatter is minimal, penetration is good, and the weld profile generally follows - but repeating the same setting another time can be a challenge.

This is especially true on some welders more than others, though.
    I had a SIP MigMate for quite a few years, and you couldn't expect to replicate a weld from one minute to the next - but when you eventually fould the "sweet-spot" it'd be ok, but usually only for a few minutes - and you'd be back in that first cycle of "constant adjustment" again!

I'm sure yours won't be such a nightmare, though!
    I'm now hoping you don't have a MigMate, and I've missed this info, earlier in the thread!

What welder is it, out of interest?

All the Best,
    CJ

Nick DV likes this.
Advertisements