SDS bits for drilling in metal?

1. grim_d

grim_d Forum Supporter

Yes it will. I've done it.

It's definitely not efficient and not terribly good for the carbide tip...and you mostly rub your way through but in a bind it can be done.

Edit: just to make sure, I've just this minute drilled a 5mm hole in some 2mm sheet using a standard masonry bit. I wouldn't want to punch a 16mm hole in 10mm plate to be fair so I guess it depends on the situation and the desperation.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  2. Yamhon likes this.
  3. Yamhon and eLuSiVeMiTe like this.
  4. Yamhon

Yamhon Member

5. daedalusminos Member

Not sure what diameter hole you're drilling, but a step drill would probably be the best option if hand drilling.

6. mart

mart Member

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/7106062?&cmpid=GS001&_$ja=tsid:59156|acid:444-797-0832|cid:596310901|agid:28594123885|tid:pla-182969927125|crid:95887239565|nw:g|rnd:12861193723906577133|dvc:c|adp:1o8|mt:|loc:9046688&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIofyjmrWw4wIVzbTtCh3Y2gSWEAQYCCABEgLVBfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

In the reviews someone describes the forward/reverse lever as very flimsy & likely to snap off. Still, it is a 500 watt drill for 15 quid and a one year guarantee. If it breaks take it back. I wouldn`t have thought you would have much hassle with the staff at Argos. If it is online purchase only, then that is a bit of hassle returning something compared to nipping to shop.

7. The_Yellow_Ardvark

The_Yellow_Ardvark If in doubt ask.

You can get wood augers to fit SDS drills.

Not seen normal bits, but screwfix do a cheep adapter to convert.
    AVOIDE IT.

I just got lucky at Cash Converters, have a look you may get something in there.

8. Farside

Farside Badly Welded Man

I've been using an SDS drill with chuck to drill steel for years. Admittedly, usually clearance holes for bolts, and only very rarely something where a bit of precision would matter, like tapping holes, but I've had no bother with it. It's a hand-held drill, and if you're expecting precision from any kind of that, well, heh.
    Like everything, deep ends how you use it and how much you expect from it.
    For rough (ie, not precision) engineering, it's fine.

brightspark likes this.
  9. Munkul Member

Cumbria, UK
    I can't see how you wouldn't have a regular drill/driver for everything but masonry. Faster, more efficient, more accurate, lighter on the arms... I've never seen any craftsman only have an SDS drill and try bodging everything else :dontknow:

brightspark and eLuSiVeMiTe like this.
  10. mart

mart Member

For anyone doing a lot of steel drilling in their workshop, a drill press is very good. I found a drill bit will cut a lot easier than in a portable drill. I assume it is due to the bit being pretty vertical when drilling.

Advertisements