Sandrail Engine swap

1. Kayos

Kayos Member

I find wiring both frustrating and rewarding

When I used to do daft things to Vauxhall’s they always had a separate engine loom, even if you had to separate it from the main loom, about 5 wires to be connected to the new car and that was it

2. Wightsparks

Wightsparks Forum Supporter

This one is not too bad. The engine and ecu are on one loom with a 30 pin connection. The battery/alt/starter are on another with the main fuse box. Then unfortunately there are a few ecu inputs that come through the general loom with everything else.
    Must resist the urge to start cutting!

jpmillermatic likes this.
  3. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    resist! I hear ya....nothing like soldering wires back in place that you cut unnecessarily.....

;)

JP

4. PhillipM

PhillipM Member

Rotherham
    I wish the honda had had a loom like that, the bloody thing tee-d off in about 96 places into loads of little ring-main type setups. I ended up just giving up and chopping off the connectors I couldn't buy and binning the rest :D

Wightsparks likes this.
  5. Wightsparks

All getting a bit "Mad Max" :D

2018-05-12 18.32.29.jpg

Last edited: May 13, 2018
  6. Wightsparks

It... it... it's.... ALIVE!!

7. Wightsparks

Opened the loom.
    Seemed like a good idea at the time :laughing:

2018-05-18 14.26.01.jpg

8. Wightsparks

Gave up trying to remove the circuits I don't need and just looked at the wiring loom/ECU plug and the main fuse plug and identified what I needed. Removed everything else in one go! -
    Unfortunately the 03 US wiring diagram I had was not completely the same and a lot of stuff changed 02-03. Resulting in a stressed few hours trying to figure out why the ECU was not turning on the main relay - only to discover with a slightly different diagram that I had removed the earth for the main relay coil thinking it was for the headlight adjuster - which it was as well :ashamed:

2018-05-23 17.28.56.jpg

What's left over

2018-05-24 23.30.57.jpg

Now it runs but idle is low and slightly erratic so off on a sensor hunt - though I have not actually removed any except the speed sensor so that might be it.

Edit - yep the speed sensor, runs as before now

Last edited: May 24, 2018
    garethp and Kayos like this.
  9. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    glad you found it quickly.....nice to have only removed one sensor!

JP

10. Wightsparks

Removed a few, but that was the only one between running properly with full loom and running badly with the cut down loom.
    It's an odd one as it is a gearbox driven VR type that goes to the odometer computer to have its nasty signal cleaned up, then output as a nice square wave to the ECU and speedo.
    As I don't have the gearbox to drive it from I will need to see if I can get away with feeding a square wave in from a wheel sensor of some description, probably through an Arduino - if not I will need to hack the instrument panel tracks...

Thinking about it I have the ABS rings on the Porsche back end, along with the sensors somewhere, that might be do-able, could even make my life easy and use one of these http://www.dakotadigital.com/index....ct_id=126/category_id=-1/mode=prod/prd126.htm

Last edited: May 26, 2018
  11. Wightsparks

... Still wiring...

2018-06-05 23.49.29.jpg

Make it up as I go along loom...

2018-06-06 23.49.13.jpg

12. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    yes, but you make it up from a place of knowledge!

you should see what I make up over here..... :(

JP

13. Wightsparks

Found a neat solution for the Neutral switch. Unfortunately the thread on the switch is M14 very coarse thread that I could not find a bolt or tap for anywhere - so I cut out the bit of Ali gearbox it went into to hold it onto a bracket. Ground a groove in the shaft. Fine adjustment with shims... OK.. a washer and a flap disc:rolleyes:

2018-06-09 16.54.05.jpg

Then to my absolute amazement I switched it on, and so far it ALL works, lights, horn indicators, back lights, engine, fuel gauge. Fingers crossed for the clutch and shaft/bearings when I get that all spun up!

2018-06-09 22.03.47.jpg

2018-06-09 22.02.58.jpg

- Though it does have an odd mix of coloured bulbs for back lighting..

Then I "carefully" removed the handbrake as it was original - That's next to fix!:welder:

2018-06-08 18.06.48.jpg

And in other news.. It's Official ! The DVLA sent me a new V5 with the new engine noted on it :clapping:

14. Wightsparks

Got to love kit car insurance. 45hp Beetle engine ---> 135hp MX5 engine, premium increase ... £16.60

15. PhillipM

PhillipM Member

Rotherham
    To be fair it's less likely to leak oil all over the tyres, so....;)

16. Wightsparks

And it now has an immobiliser, rather than a Beetle engine, which, on reflection is pretty much the same thing.

Richiew, garethp and PhillipM like this.
  17. Wightsparks

Done. Goes forwards, backwards and stops - but it's raining so no proper test yet. Awaiting split conduit for wiring tidy and need a better throttle cable solution but that's it for now...

2018-06-17 17.49.52.jpg

2018-06-17 17.50.27.jpg

18. Wightsparks

Took it out for a tentative drive and nothing blew up, fell off or disintegrated so that's a plus! Goes like stink too :laughing:

I worked out the conversion factor for the SGI-5E to convert the Porsche ABS ---> Speedo conversion and it seems to be bang on - need to check with GPS

Need to re-locate the mirrors, adjust the handbrake and find something else just as interesting to do in the evenings or I will go mad!

• 2018-06-18 15.02.24.jpg
    • 2018-06-18 15.02.12.jpg
  19. Ruffian Member

Turbo??
    Or
    Supercharger??

20. PhillipM

PhillipM Member

Rotherham
    Don't worry, as soon as you do a few hundred miles there'll be plenty of work to do in the evenings :D

Advertisements