Sand Blasting - Cheap setup for cleaning brake calipers.

1. PJK12 New Member

Hello everyone.
    I see You guys have a big knowledge about sand blasting. I have few questions, basically Im looking for informations about right setup for myself.

Im looking to use sandblasting for brake calipers rebuilds and cleaning little car components like alternators housing etc, not constant use, just now and then.
    So far Ive got myself sand blasting cabinet like the one from that link:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Switzer-...316704?hash=item1c127dc560:g:wiUAAOSwCXRcyrGz
    Actuall my girlfriend bought that for me to encourage me to start reconditiong calipers and slowly getting rid of what I have left after repairs on customers cars, but thats all I have so far and now I want to take another step and get right compressor for that, people says its essential to get big compressor with big tank, but as I said at the beggining Im only looking to sand blast little components and not too often, thats why Im not looking to spend 400-500-600+ on a compressor. By the way I will add that it has to run from home garage power socket which is like normal wall socket.
    Then another question is comming up, dust extractor. Cabinet Ive got so far has one little paper filter on the side, wonder is that enough to filter dust from sanding calipers? If not I will probably look to build some kind of extractor myself as spending another hundreds wont make no sence especially when keeping in mind how often I will use it.

So guys please, could you advise me which compressor will be suitable for my needs?
    Dust extractor? Any experience with right media to do that job? I know its too early for that but might as well ask now...

Thanks in advance...

2. Lazurus

Lazurus Member

I have exactly the same cabinet as yours, I run it off a 50litre tank compressor, which will run it but does mean continuous running of the compressor whilst I am cleaning. not a problem for me and the compressor was £100 so a cheap set up. I run a small shop vac at the same time through the filter outlet and this keeps all the dust in order so i can see what i am doing. I am not a heavy user mainly small steel items and horseshoes but it does the job well enough. There are loads of mods on the internet you can do, the best I recomment is upgrading the medial pick up makes it a lot easier and i got rid of the steel grid on the floor as it was a pain. All in all for the money it will do a reasonable job.

Wany likes this.
  3. Wany Member

Lazurus has just described my set up. I have a 3hp 50l compressor. Blast for a bit, wait for a bit. I'd like a bigger setup but it works.

Lazurus likes this.
  4. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    You can never have too much air available for blasting but everyone has to draw a line somewhere. Small compressors will do the job but it will get very tedious if have to wait for pressure to build. This isn't an issue doing the odd job at home but from a sideline business point of view it's not practical.

Small cabinets can be made to work fine but if you want it more trouble free then don't ever put dirty/oily/wet parts in there. Once you contaminate the grit you will start getting blockages.

A pressure pot will make a big difference.

I've done loads of calipers and I really enjoy doing it but you really need to be aware from a cost point it's not always viable. Have a look at https://brakeparts.co.uk/ they list all the internals for calipers alongisde fully refurbed calipers and often buying new seals and pistons costs way more than the refurbished caliper and that obviously doesn't include you time and effort. They are in Rochdale too. There is value to be added if someone wants a specific colour but people like http://biggred.co.uk/ are the biggest player in that market and they do some lovely work.

Most people start the same way with blasting, home made cabinet or one of the mass imported units. If you then want to start doing it as a business you realise you to spend quite a bit more but that sort of kit won't always be viable in a residential setting.

Wany and brightspark like this.
  5. brightspark

brightspark Member

[QUOTE="
    Most people start the same way with blasting, home made cabinet or one of the mass imported units. If you then want to start doing it as a business you realise you to spend quite a bit more but that sort of kit won't always be viable in a residential setting.[/QUOTE]:laughing:my neighbour hasn't said anything about me running the diesel road comp and blasting gear . don't think he is that bothered about it :)

• DSCF1223.JPG
    Wany and gordon stephenson like this.
  6. brightspark

brightspark Member

7. PJK12 New Member

Thanks a lot for all your replies, I think 50l compressor will do for me, I don't mind waiting till it builds up the pressure, there is quite few different types on the market, which one should I go for, belt driven?
    I know I'm asking for too much but I will be very thankful if you guys could get some products from online shops.

Huge thanks to everyone
    Regards
    Peter

8. brightspark

brightspark Member

get a belt driven one there quieter and if anything fails on them you can buy the pump and motor separately

PJK12, Dcal and Lazurus like this.
  9. Dcal Member

For what you are doing a 3hp compressor will do the job and will run off a 13amp supply.
    Forced extraction will really help you to see what you are doing even if it's only a vacuum cleaner plugged in to the filter outlet.
    A cheap plastic vortex separator between the cabinet and the vacuum will really help take the dust load off the vacuum.

Wany and PJK12 like this.
  10. optima21 Forum Supporter

Wany and Dcal like this.
  11. “A cheap plastic vortex separator between the cabinet and the vacuum will really help take the dust load off the vacuum.”

Yes, that’s what I’ve got sitting on top of a Henry. Some extra led strips inside the cabinet are useful too.

Wany likes this.
  12. PJK12 New Member

Right guys, I was looking for some compressors and Im thinking of getting this one:
    https://www.sgs-engineering.com/sc100v-100-litre-high-flow-air-compressor
    Its not that cheap but for some reason I trust SGS company, what do you think guys?

Separator for dust will be right next on my shopping list.

One last question is material, do you guys have experience with cleaning corroded components? Which blasting media do You recommend?

Thanks a lot for all replies, feel like I know something now ;)

13. Dcal Member

That's a direct drive and it will kick up a hell of a din.

A belt drive compress will run at a lower speed and will be much quieter.
    I have a 2hp direct and I only use it to supplement my 3hp belt drive when I've a lot of blasting to do. I usually prefer to just use the 3hp and wait for the air to catch up (it is that noisy)

Any grit will do your job, I use Jblast supa-fine, which is copper slag, but crushed glass will be cheaper and will work fine.
    Some of the other grits - garnet, aluminum oxide etc will be less dusty but just get what you can locally and give it a whirl.
    Don't be tempted to use sand because of the health risks.

Are the calipers aluminum or cast iron?

14. bricol Member

N.Yorks, UK
    SGS only name them the same as everyone else I reckon - last time I looked, their direct drive was identical to the half the price Aldi one . . .

15. PJK12 New Member

16. Dcal Member

Any of them will be better than the direct drive.
    I'd go of either of the last two, they look identical so just down to price, delivery, warranty.
    People have said good things about the Wolf 3 HPs and they look look similar. I've no experience of them so can't comment one way or the other.

The first one might have been de-rated with the 110 volt motor and could well be on a par with the others now but why take a chance.

PJK12 likes this.
Advertisements