Roofing slate - Brazilian Vs man made?

1. roofman

roofman Purveyor of fine English buckets and mops

The less you have the less they are worth regarding slate..plus they come in various thickness so if someone was buying say a 22x11 size and did,nt have enough for one full slope then he would have to find the same colour and thickness elsewhere to match yours.

addjunkie, brewdexta and brightspark like this.
  2. brewdexta

brewdexta Member

Yorkshire
    I see the problem, I'll have to count and measure them up. I think I have a few hundred.

3. brightspark

brightspark Member

I fell in lucky I was working on a job and they had about 200 slates just sat there doing nothing the same size as mine :)so I relieved them of 30 for spares for my roof :whistle::laughing:

Parm likes this.
  4. mcostello

mcostello Member

Lancaster, Ohio
    Our family farm has couple of hundred slates, are they any good when stood straight up setting on the ground? Across the pond.

5. Blackolive

Blackolive Member

uk lancs
    Money Pits those SD1's once you get started. Lucas electrics are finicky, and lots and lots of welding. you could halve your troubles and donate one to me :thumbup:

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  6. jimbo84 Member

Don’t know how true it is as they’re a bit biased but at the Welsh slate museum they were saying foreign slate will last about 60 years so most people go for that as it will see them out but the welsh stuff will last at least twice that.

brightspark likes this.
  7. addjunkie

addjunkie Member

But its more than twice the price new, would you pay 5 quid a slate when you can get others for 90 p

Advertisements