Roofing slate - Brazilian Vs man made?

1. julianf

julianf Member

Not far off putting a new roof on the garage.

I don't really want it to weigh too much, so was planning on using man made (fake) slate. Even though it's always too uniform, it's visually better for the area than other options. (Original roof was corregated asbestos)

But looking about, it seems *more* expensive than the Brazilian stuff???

I worked on someone else's roof a while back and the price on the Brazilian was 68p / unit.

But it's thick stuff - it's kind of not like slate at all, but almost some rock stuff. Certainly not like thin Welsh stuff.

I was hoping that the man made stuff was lighter and cheaper, but it certainly seems no cheaper - or am I just missing something?

And I can't find any specs in weight. I'm assuming it's lighter, but not I'm not as sure.

Can anyone advise further?

Thank you.

2. Craig-SM

Craig-SM Member

Have you thought about recycled slate if you want light, cheap and quality.

3. Stueeee

Stueeee Old git

The two garages here have Redland Cambrian roof tiles which are made with rather than of slate. They are quite lightweight. You should be able to find some more info on them here: https://redland.co.uk/products/slate-range/cambrian-slate
    They're not especially cheap as I remember.

4. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

5. awemawson Forum Supporter

6. TechnicAl

TechnicAl Member

Prefer the Brazilian

barking mat and maz0 like this.
  7. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    You can often get good batches of reclaimed slate on ebay from private sellers.

A friend of ours did their roof with imported slate and from what I remember it was about 1/4 the price of Welsh.

Have you ruled out corrugated iron? The new plastic costed stuff looks ok and many places roll it to order now so one piece goes from ridge to eaves.It's cheap light and durable

8ob likes this.
  8. addjunkie

addjunkie Member

Ive just put 4600 spanish slates on my barn roofs, fairly uniform, but not a bad match to the welsh stuff.

Chinese stuff is really uniform and prone to cracking, if youve plenty slope and can use 18x 9s or 16 x8s there about 88p each.

I looked at reclaimed and couldnt get the quantity I needed in the size I needed due to a low pitch, price wise wasnt much different to spanish. But with reclaimed you waste a fair bit.

https://www.slate.uk.com/product/estillo-5-mid-grey/ this is what I used, but the 15 is slightly cheaper and a bit less uniform.

There are data sheets that will have weights on

9. brightspark

brightspark Member

depends on how original you want it to look and spend. I reroofed my house with the original slate. about 200 were knacked so I bought reclaimed ones in good nick for a quid each from the roofing company .there easy to check for quality .just hold one up and tap them with a screwdriver handle . if they ring they are sound. if just a thud there shot chuck it back and try another :laughing:

eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
  10. roofman

roofman Purveyor of fine English buckets and mops

New Spanish is your best bet...reclaimed Welsh can be a right pain to fit if they have been taken off by a general laborer with a blunt pick, you end up with trying to nail them with holes bigger than a 50 pence piece..in my eyes they are then scrap as they are going to slip out.

jenki, Parm and slim_boy_fat like this.
  11. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

im with roofman fitted many a used slate and new ones the price say is a 1.00 for used and 1.20 or 1.40 for new slates or close to there prices

many slates have been badly ripped off and can be a git refitting them sometimes your lucky and get some good slates used but thats rare

material cost is down to customer and my price is accordingly per slate type used slates are not guaranteed either many just snap in half or break off at the nails area or at edges there not grea to be fitted arnt used slates

roofman likes this.
  12. brightspark

brightspark Member

as I said its easy to check the condition of second hand slates. if they are sound they ring when you tap them and will not break when refitting .a dull thud and you can just break them in bits with your fingers . I realy wouldn't want my 150 year old railway house to look new and out of keeping. its no big deal fitting quality second hand ones

13. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

this one was fire damaged rip slates off best you can and save what you can and refit them

the building in the forefront

20150407_091953 copy.jpg

14. roofman

Any slates that have been taken off a seaside roof are normally nice to work with as the original nail heads have rotted in the sea air and more or less just lift off from a sharp rotted once nail and your left with a nice 5 pence size hole

Parm and gaz1 like this.
  15. roofman

nice sd1;)

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  16. brightspark

brightspark Member

taking mine off was easy . the wood had dried out and all the good ones just lifted up and off without damage :)

roofman likes this.
  17. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

theres 2 both are just rotting away sat there and one is a film car

slim_boy_fat and roofman like this.
  18. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    This pretty much covers what the guy who did my slates said. He said something about the Chinese slates being produced in a way that when crack they crack across which means water can get trapped or they come straight off the roof but Welsh slates normally crack split down their length.

After taking all the slates off and jetwashing/sorting we were stuggling to get enough to complete one side, slates that looked totally fine would fall apart in you hands. Apparently if you buy from dealers the slates they don't get sorted and there can be 20% wastage.

He said the Spanish slates were fine.

roofman likes this.
  19. roofman

wrong way round...dealers do sort them when buying in,its the roofers who are selling that get hit with the wastage;)

gaz1 likes this.
  20. brewdexta

brewdexta Member

Yorkshire
    That reminds me, when I took the blue slate off the existing single story extension to add a bedroom above, I put on a pitched grey slate roof so I ended up with two pallets of blue slate, presumably Welsh as the roof dated back to the sixties.

I keep meaning to sell them but not sure the best way to flog them. I don't fancy doing it via the bay, some numbskull will want them posting. I did offer them to the roofer who put the grey slate on. He said he would if I stored them for an indefinite period then he would pay me when he wanted them. I see why as he doesn't have a builders yard to store them but it's been 2 years now :) I may give him a nudge, I know he has some storage at nearby farm for his grey slate.

slim_boy_fat and roofman like this.
Advertisements