Rod recommendations

1. Steveblade

Steveblade Member

From what I remmember ( and it was a long time back ) they were cheap, more than adiquate for the work and forgiving for us rather unskilled workers at the time, and you could stove, weld down ways with them. I dont think a long boat needs anything spectacular in the welding department, but Im sure someone will chip in with more info on prep and procedure if im wrong. I think design would be more important, any ship builders in the house?

2. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

Well the welding should really be carried out to a Lloyd’s or DNV standard like any other boat.

if someone wants an idiot proof rod I would recommend a 7016 Spezial from the likes of ESAB or Bohler. Comet J50 used to be the standard rod.

metalmelt and MichaelV like this.
  3. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

More rebranded crap mate.
    Did ESAB get back to you?

4. spaffmonkey

spaffmonkey Forum Supporter

I thought as much. Today was manic again so I only messaged them about 7pm tonight so hopefully I'll get a response tomorrow :thumbup:

Brad93 likes this.
  5. Robert Mullins Member

In ship repair, we used 'vodex' even on shell plate inserts, occasional problems could occur and we'd resort to 7018s but this was unusual, on one huge insert we had to fully weld the butt in 3 foot sections after the root kept cracking as we neared it's completion; this was all done with the Lloyds inspectors knowing and approval

6. Robert Mullins Member

BOC Vodex, exactly what they designed to do

metalmelt likes this.
  7. TechnicAl

TechnicAl Member

Agree....they might not be as smooth as some and they might be a bit spattery but you will get a good weld with enough pen..probably not as good as they used to be after they moved production....they never are as I well know.

metalmelt and Brad93 like this.
Advertisements