Rod recommendations

1. spaffmonkey

spaffmonkey Forum Supporter

Evening all. I am starting to do alot more arc welding over mig for work and need to order some more rods. I'm looking for recommendations on what to buy next.
    I mainly use the arc for doing welding on the hulls of narrowboats and often it's in upside down positions or vertical. I've mainly been using the 6013 bohlar rods from my local BOC. Last time I needed some rods i ordered some 6013 super6s and they have been terrible. Just wondering what you guys prefer for doing similar position works.

Memmeddu likes this.
  2. Paul.

Paul. Moderator Staff Member

When I worked on boats all the positional stuff was done with low hydrogen 7018, usually some BOC or Esab version, OK 48.6 I think was the Esab, it was a long time ago , all the downhand stuff was usually done with iron powder electrodes, you could get nearly 3 foot of weld from a 5mm one dragged along, you'll need some extraction with them though,

metalmelt, Parm, Memmeddu and 2 others like this.
  3. 8ob

8ob Forum Supporter

E6010 (fleetweld) is a personal favourite for anything positional but being a tightwad I normally slum it with 6013.

Bob

Memmeddu, mtt.tr and spaffmonkey like this.
  4. spaffmonkey

We have some of the BOC 7018s but itI find theycthey be stubborn to restart which in tight spaces can be an issue.

5. nickk Forum Supporter

Last few years been using Lincoln pantafix,downhand and v.up,found them very satisfactory.

6. Mick Annick

Mick Annick Member

thread hijack - my box of Phoenix (Bohler) 6013 2.5mm is coming to and end - any thoughts on replacements?

Country Joe likes this.
  7. James1979 Forum Supporter

I do a lot on rusty old rubbish in quarries, all positional work, so 7018s are my rod of choice. Selection here is limited but I am getting very good results with Bohler and try to get them when I can. I think theyre called super 7 or something I'll look when I go out to the truck in a bit.

8. 123hotchef Member

I like bohler and phoneix

9. Country Joe

Country Joe Argoshield Dark

More of the same - it's probably what I'll do when mine run out.

All the Best,
    CJ

Mick Annick and 123hotchef like this.
  10. davidjohnperry a different breed

I've been using elga wire and rods for the last year or so although I've never used 6013. There lo high are nice and there flux core wire is brilliant. They are not to expensive

11. metalmelt Member

I quite like the Murex rods and both Vodex and Super Fastex are good positional rods.

12. Feet 'n Inches

Feet 'n Inches Out of the rat-race at last

About the only thing (other than gouging rods) that created more smitch than someone vaping up a cloud. Great thing about iron powder was being able to strike up, rest the rod on the job and pour and drink a cuppa when doing fillets. Like Paul, I'd go for Lo-Hy rods for the positional work.

13. Steveblade

Steveblade Member

NU 5 used be the got to all purpose rod on mild steel when I was a sprog, they were excellent but Ive not run a bead of stick in 10- 15 years so Im not qualified to give advise, dont even know if there still available. Would be nice to have a half box of 2.4 though as they were so usefull.

14. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

OP probably won’t be able to run 6010/6011 on his machines, unless they have a cellulosic mode.

I don’t know why anyone would want to run 6010. It’s pig ugly, spattery, and has crap mechanical properties compared to a basic electrode.

I’d rather run some Fincord or FOX SUM. Nice smooth weld, fine ripple, good properties and not too bad in position.
    Vodex is very good but getting really expensive.

15. TechnicAl

TechnicAl Member

For jobs like narrowboats you need to be careful. There are some 6013s that weld lovely but give little or no penetration......you need something with a "bite"........those Super6 are just any old shyte they can buy as cheaply as possible....Id say if the Bohler youre using work....why change....get some more

I once worked with some narrowboat builders and we went for an iron powder 7024 to cap off the 10mm plate welds....gives a nice finish and they are quick and very easy to use....(All the Lincoln 7024s are still my developments)........but dont use them for the first pass as they also can suffer from poor penetration.

16. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

Too right. The Fincords can be a bit like that.

It makes me laugh when people say stick welding is the strongest. Cut and etch a MMA weld and then cut and etch a MAG weld and see what has the greatest depth of fusion. Americans are often of this opinion. Or with their E71T1 rutile wires. I wonder how many have cut and etched a fillet done in the downhand position. You’ll be looking at it barely nipping the root, maybe 1-2mm of fusion in the root.

metalmelt and TechnicAl like this.
  17. spaffmonkey

I found a little shop 5 minutes drive away from our new workshop today that stock welding supplies but it's all parweld stuff. Anyone tried there rods? Are they more rebranded crap or ok?

18. finyuk2005 Member

Orkney, Scotland
    used pantafix 6013's for basically everything at the shipyard i worked at, about the best 6013 rod ive ever used,
    was at collage at the same time and they used cheaper lincoln 6013, couldnt figure out why my out of position welds sucked at collage compaired to at work! crap 6013s can suck so bad!!

19. finyuk2005 Member

Orkney, Scotland
    had a box or two of parweld rods and they welded pretty nicely

20. TechnicAl

TechnicAl Member

yep...rebranded

Advertisements