Rock and Roll Bed Plans?

1. octo0072000

octo0072000 Member

that used to be the norm most of new vans was overloaded before you even set off but in the 90s a camper van was not classed as a commercial so no plated weights to worry about i used to have this argument about vans being over weight years ago, but told by dealers don't matter plated weights don't apply is a motorhome not a commercial.
    Sprinters now can be plated at 4.25 tons now for that reason on motorhomes so as long as you took your test before 1997 you can drive it on a car licence up to 7.5 ton extra test nowadays

2. madkayaker

madkayaker Pro sparkey Pro Welder

Cumbria
    I noticed last time I walked around a motorhome dealer that just about everything is plated 3500kg due to restrictions in licensing etc. the fact there not commercial vehicles carn't see that making a difference as weights still apply?

3. octo0072000

octo0072000 Member

weights are applied nowadays by vosa motorhomes never used to get pulled in the 1990s because of it's not a commercial so plated weights don't apply bit because of the licensing laws on over 3.5tons now very few campers come within this law
    again a friend after a divorce lives in a coachbuilt van nor for five years never been pulled by police for over weight been stopped for other things like sleeping over night in lay-bys etc he works in it so works from the van full sat-dish set up on van he's about depending on foods water etc 600kilos over plated weight only him and the dog lives in the van 4 berth

some of the sites I've seen over the years i used to be in and out of
    Dover -Calais twice a week when running Europe
    EastEnders wines place seen 2 blokes trying to put five pallets of beer into a transit Luton 60 cases to pallet 1 ton each pallet they filled the luton full then filled the back by the time i had been a swapped over trailers on the way back next day i called for a few more packs of beer as i had space on the trailer transit still there
    blokes trying to sell off the beer cheap as it couldn't move wheels sat on body
    but they was adamant because there was space i would go on it did :clapping:

4. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

So there is such a thing as too much beer :D

5. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    Our pop up trailer has a convertible dinette...the table becomes the center of the bed. There are cushions for where you sit, and a seat back. the seat back cushions fit perfectly where the table drops into place for the bed center. there is angle iron that acts as a shelf to hold the table level with the seat bottoms.

no hinges, very simple to set up and take down,ect....

JP

6. auldtam Member

Glasgow, Scotland
    Got it finished last Thursday but it's been non stop rain since so I managed to take some pic's today.

It's high enough to store my porta potti underneath and the seat can lift up to give access to the storage area. It's almost a flat back to save some more room in the van.

• RnR Bed 1.jpg
    • RnR Bed 2.jpg
    • RnR Bed 3.jpg
    andy_v likes this.
  7. octo0072000

octo0072000 Member

depends on your seat cushions your feet may be dangling in mid air
    you may need a step to put your feet on
    looks good

8. auldtam Member

Glasgow, Scotland
    Ive got 2" thick cushions and my feet are just about flat on the floor...

9. octo0072000

octo0072000 Member

you may want to double up on the cushions bit thin to sleep on 4inch is much better for sleeping on nothing worse than sleeping on a hard bed depends on how much alcohol us have consumed though :clapping::clapping::clapping:

10. auldtam Member

Glasgow, Scotland
    Well after building the RnR bed we decided we prefer the 'L' Shaped seat/bed layout I done earlier this year...

As it was too big to keep in the shed I advertised it on Gumtree...6 responses within a few hours and sold it...

Happy Ending!

11. BeeJay99

BeeJay99 Forum Supporter

Make anything on it? If so it sounds like you should be making at least 5 more. :clapping:

12. madkayaker

madkayaker Pro sparkey Pro Welder

Cumbria
    Like it looking for ideas for my new van to convert fiat scudo. Wanting to still be able to use as a van so hoping to make bed removable (thinking Uninstrut built into floor) purely for static use

13. Tris1 New Member

nice work. im looking to do one of these in the next few days. what thickness was the tube? have you got any ore pics>?

tristan

14. octo0072000

octo0072000 Member

this post was 4 years ago dates at the top left of post

15. auldtam Member

Glasgow, Scotland
    I used 20mm x 2mm box for that bed. I now use 25mm and 20mm x 1.5mm erw box. Ive also changed the design as the 20mm erw slides nicely through the 25mm erw box. Basically, a base box made from 25mm, a small rear seat welded to the box and 'A' shape hinged from 20mm then the front seat base slightly forward of the box base welded to 20mm box with a 3mm spacer in between. The two 20mm box sections welded to the top frame slide through the 25mm base box frame. Ive finished building RnR beds at the moment and havent any pics to upload. I will be startinf again after the new year and I will post some picks

Advertisements