Rock and Roll Bed Plans?

1. auldtam Member

Glasgow, Scotland
    Has anyone built a rock and roll bed for a Campervan...I don't mean the old VW type made with plywood and rock and roll hinges.

I would like to build a double seat frame that slides out to form a double bed at night.

Any ideas, suggestions or links to a diagram appreciated.

2. andy_v likes this.
  3. andy_v likes this.
  4. auldtam Member

Glasgow, Scotland
    I'm not looking for RnR hinges like they use in the old VW's...

What I meant was, has anyone built a full metal frame that slides out into a bed..Ive just been looking on the auction site and downloaded some pictures to give me an idea how they are constructed.

Any further advice would be appreciated..

5. octo0072000

octo0072000 Member

6. auldtam Member

Glasgow, Scotland
  7. madkayaker

madkayaker Pro sparkey Pro Welder

Cumbria
    Sorry to be a pain but the proper beds have been tested for use as a seat for passenger use during travel yours won't so not sure if it will be legal to use for passengers? I've seen so real bad conversions claiming to be safe that arnt so it worth looking into that before you start

8. auldtam Member

Glasgow, Scotland
    Yes I wouldnt use it for carrying passengers whilst in transit...just as seating and sleeping on site.

I saw some on auction site that have seatbelts fitted but I wouldnt trust them.

9. madkayaker

Cumbria
    That's ok then as long as you have thought about it! The conversion that was in mine had a badly built side seat box and the seat belts were screwed with wood screws into the wood on the floor!

10. auldtam Member

Glasgow, Scotland
    Thats crazy! I'm not sure if Campervan rear seats are checked at the MOT?

I heard the MOT check changed last March to include towbars...about time too.

11. madkayaker

Cumbria
    The test involves a quick tug to see if it moves!

12. stuvy

stuvy Member

they check for 5 seat belts if fitted IIRC

13. agrimog Member

if the vehicle is submitted for the mot test with the bed in the folded down,ie bed, position, it cant fail, cos theres nothing to be checked, also seatbelts are not required on rear facing seats, and to the best of my knowledge, there is only one approved manufacturer of fold out seats to beds with seat belts fitted, and these are only for vw t4 and t5 vans, its all to do with the floor mounting points and crash testing of the components

14. auldtam Member

Glasgow, Scotland
    Picked up some 20x20x2mm hollow section today, then made a 6'x3' workbench out of heavy Dexion shelving and set up the welder for my first Mig Built Project.

The old arc welder has gone to the back of the shed now.

I'll start the build tomorrow, fingers crossed.

15. auldtam Member

Glasgow, Scotland
    Made up all the frames today.... Hopefully I'll finish it off tomorrow.

• IMG_0001.jpg
    • IMG_0002.jpg
    • IMG_0003.jpg
    • IMG_0004.jpg
    • IMG_0005.jpg
    andy_v likes this.
  16. octo0072000

octo0072000 Member

17. auldtam Member

Glasgow, Scotland
    That's interesting...My van is a 2000 Renault Master (Disabled Access) and was registered as a Motor Caravan in Feb 2012 after I converted it and MOT'd as a 3 seater. It kinda falls in between the legislation dates.

Not that I would have passengers in the rear seats, but technically I think I can. Not sure what the view of my insurance company would be though.

I wonder what a Traffic Cops view would be if you were checked?

IMO it looks like a bit of a minefield, probably safest NOT to carry passengers in the back. However, if a camper van hirer advertise there vans as 4 berth and not 4 seaters maybe that's how they get around it??

18. octo0072000

octo0072000 Member

seats

register on here should answer all your questions
    http://sbmcc.co.uk/forum/index.php?act=idx

side facing seats do not need belts still as far as i know if it's 4 berth or six berth it can carry said amount of people

so a family of six go on holiday are you going to take the motorhome for two or three people and the a car for the rest??

19. madkayaker

Cumbria
    there is lots and lots of vans out there that advertise as 4 or 6 birth that cant transport the same number of people due to lack of safe approved seating.

there is also lots of van that quite frankly are dangerously overloaded. lad at work lives in a sprinter van 6 birth coach built job and its plated for 3500kg gross. empty weight is 2900kg and thats before 150L water, gas and the like (possible half tank of fuel?) and 6 people. if he had 6 mates in he would be over loaded!

Advertisements