Rifle rest

1. Kent

Kent Member

One day when you only have a few rounds you will likely slip up. Better to have than not..

ronan likes this.
  2. Kent

Kent Member

As is the 6x42 but today people ofyen tjink you need 32x and dial in to kill deer thst will be inside 200 yards.
    I just dont get how Jim Corbett or Bell ever managed to kill all those dangerous criters with open sights lol

ronan likes this.
  3. sako243

sako243 Member

At the risk of going slightly off topic I'd have to disagree strongly with you here (nothing personal). I'd never take a shot I wasn't confident of a clean kill on and I'm only stalking for food, not a trophy. The distances we're talking of here I'm not going to shoot more than one beastie before gralloching and usually retrieving the carcass (usually back to the Land Rover where there will be more supplies) a typical stalk on the small hill we have is a couple of miles each way as the crow flies.

I can cycle through the magazine pretty damn quickly (5 shots in the bull at 500 yards, 200 more than I would shoot on the hill, in about 20s at Bisley) so if there is a chance that a deer is wounded with the first then a second shot might be possible. If you can't hit it with that chances are it'll be at least a mile away in fairly short order. Red deer don't half cover the ground quickly when they know where they're running from.

Equally the challenge is in the stalk not the shot so the majority of my beasties have been shot from 50 to 150 yards but some have been up to 300 but I'm happy with my rifle, ammo and decent conditions (I.e. not blowing a gale) at that distance I'll put every shot into a 3" circle.

stuvy, Wallace and Jlg like this.
  4. DAPPH

DAPPH as dyslexik as I'm daft

Near to Cross Hands Llanelli SouthWales GB
    :laughing: It's even better to have the right calibre . I used to know several accomplished shooters of rifles , hand guns and shotties who have turned up at sessions with the wrong calibre of ammo … :D It takes a bit of living down till the next victim comes along apparently , especially when one guy told me he'd entered a local farm 12 bore clay shoot and brought a slab of 410 cartridges with him .. " OK. mums the word " I said ….:whistle:

stuvy likes this.
  5. Robbie260 Member

Guns can be things of beauty when not loaded to the gunnels wih crap. Went to faslane naval base as a vist with the boys brigade as i help out and my dad works there so he organised the trip. Went and visited the royal marines they brought in thier assault rifles, hand guns, gpmg ect for us to have a look at. Dont know if i can tell you specifics with aout breaking laws. Lets say they are very popular in america. But any way all they had was a simple scope one guy had a bi pod on his and they all had a torch and that was it as far as i could tell. If its good enough for them should be a good enough setup for anyone.

6. Wallace

Wallace Member

Just for safety, hands in the bumbag please not your pockets.

Migmac and Parm like this.
  7. Kent

Kent Member

You can as easy mess up a short one as a long one In fact i have seen some missed that you would not have believed possible (broadside at 50 yards by member of our British tactical rifle squad was a classic ) .. If you do need another and you aint got it then your in a bad spot for sure..
    Its ok saying oh i
    can shoot and take careful aim but i have seen an unseen branch get in the way twice. Once myself once a client
    If you never ever need all you take out your on the right path.. Five in the gun and twenty in the pocket is my way..
    As mentioned already getting help is normally three shots as sos even if you never have one for tge sake of a few extra s got to be worth it .

DAPPH likes this.
  8. Migmac

Migmac Forum Supporter

I’m a professional stalker, my rifle is my tool of trade. I use a £700, a Remington nothing fancy. A good quality bit of glass on top of it, a S&B. A bipod, that I don’t use very much now that I use quad sticks. A very basic set up. Clients I have had the very top range of rifle, 24K. Couldn’t hit a barn at 50m. The biggest laugh was he wanted me to carry it whilst we were out, not a chance of that

Robbie260 and Kent like this.
  9. Robotstar5

Robotstar5 Casanunda Staff Member

I suppose the next time he bought a porter with him?

10. Shox Dr

Shox Dr Chief Engineer to Carlos Fandango

Nothing changes. My dad was a stalker around Torridon in the seventies, I used to go with them sometimes, he always made them take a few shots before hand, some couldnt hit a barndoor if they’d been sat on the latch. He even shot a stag for a client, on the qt. so the fuy could tell his mates he’d shot it.:laughing::vsad:

11. Migmac

Migmac Forum Supporter

Think shooting deer for clients is more common than we think. I have done it at least twice. A father and son, father was an idiot. Had money couldn’t shoot, he made his son go stalking with him every year. The son hated it, preferred to sit in the truck and chat all morning.

DAPPH and Kent like this.
Advertisements