Rifle rest

1. sako243

sako243 Member

The massive benefit of shooting for yourself and on your own family's / friends land. Forgot the two most important bits, the two dogs for company / hand warmers :whistle:. Do normally have a flask of tea / whisky in the Land Rover.

Beauty of the last time I went out was there was 2ft of snow on the ground and was a head shot so went back to the house for full fry up breakfast before going to deal with the carcass.

Although we do now have an Argo, but 10000 acres of Scottish peat kind of makes it a necessity :hug:

stuvy likes this.
  2. addjunkie

addjunkie Member

Be a long hard walk with out some mechanical aid.

Thatll be down to the "risk assesment" i assume. Next youll have to go in groups of 4, just incase you get scared of the dark. 1 to shoot, 1 to watch you do it properly, and the other two to audit the first two are following procedure!

stuvy and DAPPH like this.
  3. Migmac

Migmac Forum Supporter

Addjunkie, it has been muted that we may end up working pairs. The nearest other ranger is 30 miles away, the day this happens I quit. I enjoy my work as it keeps me outside doing what i love, hunting. Plus I really do enjoy working by myself, done it for 36 six years and don’t feel like changing that anytime soon. The H&S goons and office wallers who think they know my job are clueless. I can give you an example of H&S not knowing my job, years ago a boy had an accident whilst stalking. We had a meeting with H&S, out come for us. Wear hiviz jacket , carry the rifle in a slip whilst stalking( ok on the hill, we are forest stalkers where deer can just appear infront of you), before the shot give three short blasts on a whistle to warn anyone nearby that we are going to shoot.

H&S is important but they need to understand a job before making decisions

Shox Dr, stuvy, DAPPH and 3 others like this.
  4. Kent

Kent Member

Now that's hilarious but unfortunately I know its likely true also which sort of says it all about government jobs

5. Paul.

Paul. Moderator Staff Member

Jeez... I only wanted to show you all me rifle rest...

Shox Dr, stuvy, Wallace and 7 others like this.
  6. Kent

Kent Member

As reference the stand
    Imo good for mounting scopes and servicing. You will almost certainly shoot a different zero with a spring gun or firearm above 22lr
    When I competed in ft I used an indoor range 50 yards to check ammo performance off a simple bench and a few bags it's not hard to shoot a single hole

Bench rest shooting uses an adjustable front rest with a soft leather faced sandbag interior and a rear bag with ears to allow a clean straight back recoil (either hard into the shoulder or loose depending on what works best for the gun and shooter)

Tidy work and likely saleable to the right market

Jlg and Paul. like this.
  7. Migmac

Migmac Forum Supporter

Sorry, i’ll go stand in the corner ;)

stuvy likes this.
  8. Jlg

Jlg Member

Make sure you put your hands on your head and repeat sorry I've been bad

stuvy likes this.
  9. addjunkie

addjunkie Member

Its not just forestry, and goverment jobs that have this level of madness, thats wh I retired, had enough of trying to follow muppetry and procedures that make a simple job almost impossible.

I too think the stainless rifle rest may be a saleable item with a bit more padding around the rest and stock. Polished would help it sell.

10. Kent

Kent Member

The big money is in proper bench rest stands. It's quite easy to knock one up but a nice stainless one would have these punters beating your door down if it was real pretty and it's a sport where dropping less than a grand is considered minor

11. Paul.

Paul. Moderator Staff Member

Quiet afternoon today so knocked up a lightweight shooting rest to go with the large rifle rest, same style, I like things to match.

20181012_125551 (Medium).jpg

20181012_182814 (Medium).jpg

Shox Dr, stuvy, Wallace and 5 others like this.
  12. Bobtail4x4 Member

yorkshire
    you forgot the spade to bury the gralloch a metre deep.......................

13. Migmac

Migmac Forum Supporter

Just leave them out of sight and away from water courses. The ravens here will have them tidied before I’m home for breakfast

steviec_lj, ronan, Kent and 1 other person like this.
  14. DAPPH

DAPPH as dyslexik as I'm daft

Near to Cross Hands Llanelli SouthWales GB
    :hug: I always took plenty of the right ammo with me as well :whistle:

15. sako243

sako243 Member

If I can't hit a deer with 1 shot let alone the 5 shots in the rifle I shouldn't be allowed to shoot deer. If I shoot 5 deer I'll be spending 5 weeks dragging them all back!

stuvy and ronan like this.
  16. ronan

ronan Member

dublin

Agree 100%, shooting has become a "He who has the most toys, wins" childish game. Which is why i went retro, i shoot clays with an old side by side, Deer, foxes, targets with a single shot Ruger, and target pistol with an old Webley revolver. I do not want to have to go out every week and buy some latest piece of junk to be in the know.

Same with scopes, i see scopes on stalking rifles, that are completely over the top, 6.5-25 x 56, illuminated this and infra red that, attachments for laser's, lights etc. For years i used a fixed power schmidt and bender 8x56, it was great and all i needed.

DAPPH likes this.
  17. Migmac

Migmac Forum Supporter

I carry 20 rounds at a time whilst I’m stalking. Not cause I’m going to shoot 20 deer whilst I’m out but if I fall and break a leg or something firing the rifle can lead folk into you. The personal trackers we use rely on satellites, tree canopy sometimes blocks the signal

Shox Dr, Wallace, DAPPH and 1 other person like this.
  18. Bobtail4x4 Member

yorkshire
    I was pulled up on my level 2 for saying I stuffed them down a disused badger sett, no way could anyone dig a hole, even brock gave up.

DAPPH and ronan like this.
  19. Migmac

Migmac Forum Supporter

The S&B 8x56 is still one of the best scopes out there.

Kent and ronan like this.
  20. anto44

anto44 Member

Yeah you just need the basics
    images (2).jpeg

Advertisements