Repurposing old propane cylinders disaster

1. TomCGB Member

And this will make it feel even better.
    Just goes to show even the most safety conscious can slip up occasionally.
    And no, I didn't go to A+E with one of those Christmas cracker jokes on!

[​IMG]

2. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Forum Supporter

UK London
    For large rounds I nail a couple of sections of an arris rail (triangular section) to a flat board and wedge the cylinder to that, using a tie down strap to immobilise it.

Kram likes this.
  3. chunkolini

chunkolini celebrity artiste

Well that nailed it.

TomCGB likes this.
  4. TomCGB Member

Believe me, I came up with every pun imaginable while there, should think the nurses were glad to see the back of me!

5. minimutly Member

The saga of disaster continues. I was cutting some scrap 4mm chequer plate to weld to the bottom of the melter tonight, using my up to now utterly useless GYS cut 20 (keeps cutting out and restarting). Now, for a change tonight it was working the best I've ever seen it, cutting at least 5 inches between er, cutting out. After 12 to 15 inches there was an allmighty bang, and that was it - one of the inverter sub boards in bits....
    Is it worth even considering repairing this pile o sh*te, or shal I use the pump, enclosure, etc as sledgehammer practice? Does anyone sell spares?

6. Screwdriver

UK London
    Set up an angle grinder on a pivot arm, fix the workpiece in a rotating frame, bin the plasma.

metalmelt likes this.
  7. minimutly Member

Yes, all that is a lot more work than following a marker line with a plasma, not to mention the dust.
    But at least my costs will only be thin discs....

Edit to add:- you can't cut a 2 inch hole with an angle grinder.

8. gaz1

gaz1 Member

you either repair it yourself or buy new

if its been trouble for you then is it worth it or get another keep the gun or sell it on your choice

9. Screwdriver

UK London
    You can cut two semicircles and weld the sheet back together. Or chain drill the hole and use a Dremel. I once did that in 1/4" plate though tbh, I wish I hadn't.

A modern Dremel wouldn't last long enough...

10. minimutly Member

Dremels are s**te...

11. minimutly Member

Quite honestly, it's been rubbish since I bought it, it was new but out of warranty, and I hardly used it anyway. Now it's gone bang I feel a bit relieved, so even though I would normally look into a repair, with this heap I'm tempted to chalk it down to experience - don't buy French rubbish that doesn't have a warranty (actually, any warranty is only temporary anyway, so don't buy French rubbish).

12. DAPPH

DAPPH as dyslexik as I'm daft

Near to Cross Hands Llanelli SouthWales GB
    That old engineers & sawmill workers saying.... " Never put your fingers where you wouldn't put you Co*k ". comes to mind on that one .

metalmelt, dyno-tron and Hopefuldave like this.
  13. Johnnybravo Member

That falls squarely into the category of ,” If you are stupid, you must suffer”. Exerience gleaned with pain is seldom forgotten. You won’t do that again ;)

Hopefuldave likes this.
  14. Johnnybravo Member

Old Sailors trick of pi$$ing on it and then encasing it in cigarette ash has never let me down....Never gets infected but,I must admit I use water as opposed to urine.....
    You cannot believe how quick ash stops the flow of hydraulic fluid out of one of your damaged digits....

metalmelt likes this.
  15. Parm

Parm Oh how I’ve missed my play pen this year

urine is also an old military trick, not one I’m prepared to try though

16. Johnnybravo Member

Can understand ash though,as it’s sterile and it stops leaks a treat. Think the urine bit of it was more likely the equivalent of “ wash out wound with clean running water”. Urine the next best thing, as , if you were on a ship and decided to clean a wound out on you pinkey finger with drinking water or rum, you would soon have bigger,more serious injuries to tend to....:laughing:

17. jerrytug

jerrytug Member

Don't P in wounds!
    It may be an army trick, my old soldier dad said the same, but urine is far from sterile and will contain bacteria which are not helpful in an open wound.
    It's worth finding some soap and water if at all possible for wound cleansing. Even if it not instantly available.
    Rum is better than P but the alcohol will kill any messy tags of flesh, so they will need snipping off because they are an ideal dinner for bacteria and it contains sugar, likewise.
    Better off drinking it!

18. DAPPH

There is a GYS dealership in Baglan industrial estate Swansea ...well there was 15 months ago . Look for welding supplies in Baglan .

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
    minimutly likes this.
  19. DAPPH

Urine is supposed to be sterile at the point of issue . Might be full of toxins though .
    Then it :-
    Turns Out Urine Isn't Actually Sterile | Smart News ...
    [​IMG]https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/turns-out-urine-isnt-actually-sterile-180954809/
    For decades, scientists have thought that urine is sterile and that patients who test positive for bacteria in their urine have urinary tract disorders. In 2014, a team of scientists from Loyola...

20. Keith 66 Member

Essex UK
    Friars Balsam is the stuff for cuts, My dad swore by it. Then swore as he put it on, It stings like billy oh so i always tried to avoid the stuff!

Advertisements