Removing and refitting glued in window

1. Edward Yemm Member

I tried to paint under my rear window. I paint only to keep repeatedly breaking through it whilst sanding. I even made up a wd40 type tube for my spray can in an attempt to flood the void with paint and give me a lot to sand back with. Nothing works. I can never flatten that paint. It’s gone on far too long now. So, I decided enough was enough. The window was coming out. Anyone know what substance/glue remover will remove the rest of this sealant?
    Also, what is a good sealant for refitting when I’m done? If it’s too awkward a job to refit I’ll ask a window fitter to do it. Thanks.

• 718C4178-1706-4BC7-AC93-74E575DBA0FC.jpeg
    • 313E5B1F-8D1B-43F3-9C64-145B7301D9E7.jpeg
    • 376C0074-7F1C-4D7A-B48A-844EF6B05BCF.jpeg
  2. Al Strachan

Al Strachan Member

if its modern style of bonded winscreen sealant, the advice i was given from a window fitter was to not to remove the sealant fully. scraping back with a sharp chisel/stanley blade will give you room for new sealant and the best key. Plenty on the 'bay and the like of frost restoration etc.

Any freshly painted areas will need to be keyed and primed with the primer that comes with the kits.

Oh, and it seems to be a sackable offence for window fitters to do "Homers" these days unfortunately. Well, the couple of guys i spoke to anyways...

Al

Edward Yemm likes this.
  3. Edward Yemm Member

Ok. Thanks. I’ll mask over the rubber that’s left then I think I’ll book it in for window fitting. Ill leave them to trim it back and re glue. I wonder how the hell they manage to cut the rubber out without damaging paint? As gentle as I was going I jabbed the knife into the paint in places. I really didn’t want to take this window out but it’s a last resort. Because it’s so bloody awkward to sand I cut through the original paint then had to re prime etc and I can never sand it without breaking through. I can’t wait until I’m working on the easier panels.

Al Strachan likes this.
  4. Al Strachan

Al Strachan Member

did mine with a v sharp wood chisel. on its back it's not too bad to skim the majority off, but yes, you do hit the odd panel join/spot weld in places!

Edward Yemm likes this.
  5. Matchless

Matchless Member

they do cut the paint, they just hope you don't notice! I once had a new screen fitted to my Cargo or LDV 7.5 ton truck, a week later pulled into Dover, braked a bit harder than usual as I was trying to fish my passport out of it's hiding hole, the screen tipped forwards, only held in by the wipers, drove very carefully to Essen and back!

6. grim_d

grim_d Unlikeable idiot.

Can always tell after a couple years which cars have had new screens fitted by the Stanley blade brigade. :vsad:

Edward Yemm likes this.
  7. Cobbler

Cobbler Codger bodger

I sold an old Volvo years ago & the new owner got keen polished it, cleaned the screen on the inside & pushed the screen out. He wanted me to pay for it! Bloody cheek, he only paid £100 for the car, knocked me down from £150. Cost him £175 by the time he’d done as the screen place wanted £75 to put the screen back in :laughing:

8. Edward Yemm Member

This sealant was rock solid. The amount of force I had to put on the knife. I even tried a pumpkin carving saw until the handle broke off. I think I might have to mask a line off the where the body disappears behind the glass and respray that strip just in line with the damage. It’s going to rust like hell otherwise. Or maybe I’ll just dip a brush in some primer, base and clear and do some spot repairs. Hell of a lot of extra work otherwise.

• ECBD47CD-A0E7-4B35-9002-98B401A6FF47.jpeg
  9. Edward Yemm Member

I just tried the window back in place. I’d see a line if I tape off the scratched area and only paint that. Looks like I’m going to be re painting the whole lot now. Or at least priming the scratches, spot spraying the base then re clearing the lot.

10. Migmac

Migmac Forum Supporter

Oh, and it seems to be a sackable offence for window fitters to do "Homers" these days unfortunately. Well, the couple of guys i spoke to anyways...

Al[/QUOTE]

I tried to get the AG fitter to do a chip on my jeep whilst he was there replacing my wife’s car windscreen. No chance.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  11. Edward Yemm Member

Going to re spray all damage now. At least I can get the sandpaper in now. That bloody screen was doing my nut in!!!!

• B5FAAB59-1437-4320-9CA3-0021453A2C32.jpeg
  12. keithski122 Member

uk
    One I spoke to the other day told truthfully "its not worth loosing your job for £15"

13. jsf55

jsf55 Forum Supporter

Get a local independent screen fitter to do it, the normally don't charge very much

Edward Yemm likes this.
  14. roblane65

roblane65 Member

You can buy a scaper/ chisel type blade that fits a multi tool cuts the polysulphide a piece of pee .
    many proper glass fitters use them in a cordless tool ( from the inside ) no paint damage !

Edward Yemm likes this.
  15. Edward Yemm Member

That’s the plan now when the paintwork is done. It was hard enough getting the bastard thing out. I wouldn’t know how much of that rubber to trim back before applying some adhesive and refitting the window. I know how to cut it out next time though. I found out you just poke 1 hole then thread a cutting wire through it and around the perimeter of the windscreen sealant. Then you sit inside the car and keep sawing using two handles attached to the wire. At least I know for next time. Good job I’ve got to respray this panel anyway, so the jab marks I made aren’t too much extra work.

jsf55 likes this.
  16. Edward Yemm Member

I think I would maybe have done even more damage if I was let loose with that . It’s bloody difficult trying not to go to far unless you can set the maximum cutting depth of the tool? I found a wire tool for cutting out the sealant. You make one hole carefully. Thread the wire around the windscreen rubber perimeter and back through the hole then use two handles on the inside to saw the rubber out. I know what options I have if I do this again.

17. Edward Yemm Member

Now I know what tool/s I should have used Oh well, I had to paint half that panel anyway. I’ll just paint the top half now as well.

18. roblane65

roblane65 Member

The right tool for job certainly makes life easier :thumbup: just we can't afford them all ! besides there'd be no room left in the garage for junk we keep.:laughing:

Edward Yemm likes this.
  19. armalites Member

Herefordshire
  20. roblane65

roblane65 Member

Beware if the glass has any sort of curve or shape the cheap ones won't stick !

slim_boy_fat likes this.
Advertisements