regulator advice

1. simon. p New Member

i have just bought a used clarke 100e. and am thinking of using hobbyweld 5. i have oxy acetelene equip which is not in use and was wondering to use the oxy reg. if so what would i need to connect up?

2. Maker

Maker nEw mEmBeR

Just get an argon regulator, I'm pretty sure the fitting is different on an oxygen bottle so you'd need an adaptor/new bullnose (I don't think they're available), the flow reading will be wrong with a gas of a different density and, at the risk of starting an argument from another thread, the old oxygen reg is probably out of date.

Yamhon likes this.
  3. Yamhon

Yamhon Member

The Ultra size Hobby Weld cylinders come with a regulator already fitted, the next size down might as well; so it'll be worth checking what size you want as it might already come with a preinstalled regulator.

4. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

My big Ar/Co2 cylinder has an oxygen regulator on it and has been in use for years, works fine just make sure it's rated for the pressure in the cylinder and that it's the correct thread.

5. simon. p New Member

many thanks guys.

6. simon. p New Member

just picked up a hobbyweld original. (no reg) so i was thinking of trying it with oxy reg. (the regulator in the shop £38 + vat) looked the same other than the small outlet for the pipe) plus use a flow meter (which i've seen online for £9) but then i came acros this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Argon-CO...a=0&pg=2386202&_trksid=p2386202.c100677.m4598

but the outlet, although purpose made for mig. seems large, similar to oxy guage. also i get the impression that the small hose is just a push fit? so would i need another adapter of could I make something up?

7. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

Don’t use an oxygen regulator. The weight of the gases are different.

8. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

What difference does that make ? I've had an oxy reg on my cylinder for years and it works fine, it works on pressure not weight and the cylinder is filled to the same pressure as an oxygen cylinder.

9. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

Sure use them, your choice I can’t be asked to teach people on this forum any more.

dholdi likes this.
  10. T0rnado69

T0rnado69 DIY nut !!

personally i would use the correct regulator for the correct job.
    that way you know for peace of mind its going to work fine and have no hiccups.

Advertisements