Recommendations - hobby mills

1. Dennis Aspö

Dennis Aspö Member

I was wondering perhaps we could have a thread were we could hash out suitable mills for hobbyists. Like what are good mills, good brands, with footprints that are not excessive? I've been researching this for a while now and have not come to that many conclusions aside from most of the mills for sale here are big hunks weighing multiple tons and would never fit in my garage workshop.

I am personally not interested in anything from the far east but I was thinking this thread might be suitable source of information for other people too so if anyone has anything to recommend they can do so.

I have so far found two interesting options:

-Deckel FP1 is a smaller german lathe that has a very good reputation from all I've seen, anyone here might happen to own one? Seems you can expect to give around 3200-3500 euros for the cheaper models that still look to be in good condition based on what I found on machine seeker.
    http://www.lathes.co.uk/deckel/

-Arboga U2508, a drill mill, combination drill press and mill, small footprint but seemingly very basic and at that it's not much cheaper than a proper Mill like a Deckel based on what I have found so I am not that enthusiastic about this as I was a few months ago.
    http://www.lathes.co.uk/arboga/

It does seem like Finland has little to offer except big beasts like Sajo UF-52s (bridgeport clones) or even bigger pieces, or chinese junk I won't touch with a ten foot pole. So I am looking in Sweden and also Germany, it might even be easier for me to get it from Germany as I know a german guy living nearby that actually imports machines from Germany so I could perhaps get help from him.

And this is all just preliminary research for me. If I live cheaply and save my money maybe next year I could afford something on a 3000-ish budget.... But saving up is harder than it looks.

2. tom-madbiker Member

In my opinion the Myford vmc is hard to beat about half the size of a Bridgeport but still uses the r8 taper dad's got one before I got my Bridgeport I managed to skim a mg midget head on it (just with all the limit stops removed)

3. MattH

MattH Member

The Deckel is an excellent machine and performs way above it's size.
    Although I had a variant of the Myford mill (626 from Taiwan) it's not in the same league, in fact it's not even the same sport.

If you can find a Deckel or one of it's clones (there were a few) then you wont go wrong.

Hopefuldave and slim_boy_fat like this.
  4. whm_fab

whm_fab Motorsport fabrication

whats the general opinion on Warco stuff for light work that doesnt have to be aerospace acurate? im in the same boat looking for medium size mill for making gerneral motorsport parts, brackets flanges, things like this. i know alot of chinese stuff is complete tat, but at the same time, i dont necessarily need something with micron acuracy

5. addjunkie

addjunkie Member

The other one that is the dogs danglies for the home workshop is the aceria f3 but make sure if buying one you get all the bits.
    http://www.lathes.co.uk/acieraf3/

When I was looking I viewed a myford 626 and it wasnt alot different to the warco / chester equivelant.

Ive had 3 mills first a harrison, probably a good machine, if looked after, this one wasnt. I was offered good coin for it, when I was moving so it went with out ever been run.

I then bought a used chester champion bench top mill. It actually wasnt too bad, but didnt like the round colum. I now have a Warco super major milling machine, works, does what it says on the tin. Not as chunky as a bridgeport, but it didnt need a rebuild when I bought it, like many others Ive seen in the past.

Generally Warco is the better of the imported stuff.

6. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

Depends on what you class as a hobby mill

SOme thing that doesnt take alot of space but can also mill something of decent size

NOw ive looked and in end it was cheaper to actual build one using some old tech and new ways

THen again I class a hobby one with a low price not one at 400.00 plus

eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
  7. Dennis Aspö

Dennis Aspö Member

I don't even live in a world were a mill is below 1000€ unless it's found at the junkyard and bought for the kilo-price of scrap. Which happens now and then to lucky people. I am seemingly looking at 2000-4000 for a decent mill barring some unlikely deal.

Other mills I have found to be of interest:
    -Schaublin 13
    -Mattsson & Zetterlund VF-600

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  8. addjunkie

addjunkie Member

You would pay that sort of money in the uk now for a decent mill, that you can get into a domestic garage. Yes you can get the 12-1500 jobs, but most are quite worn and need tlc. There are the odd bargin around, but again its often down to luck or word of mouth.

9. steve_s Member

Is It a possibility to hire a van drive to UK of else where in europe to buy a mill.

10. Dennis Aspö

Dennis Aspö Member

Might be difficult to justify that for me personally, the loss of income from not being at my 8-4 daytime job for multiple days + cost of travel (would have to take the ferry over to sweden, or direct route to rostock) + cost of rental could easily be more than what it could take to ship via truck.

11. MBB Forum Supporter

I've had Deckel Fp1 FP 2 and Thiel milling machines in the past. they are no better or worse than any other milling machines. The best milling machine I ever had was a Brown and Sharp mod O omnimill. It comes down to operator skill as how good your mill is. I've done good work on a Amadeal 25 mill which I still have.I still have an antique Deckel which can be seen here its the grey one at the bottom.

http://www.lathes.co.uk/deckel-early/

Hopefuldave likes this.
  12. addjunkie

addjunkie Member

Another thing to consider, is what you are going to make.....you dont need a 45x12 inch table if your only making 3x2 models. Spindle nose to table is another large consideration, or you end up making riser blocks. Alot of this distance is earen up with boring heads, vice etc

13. Dennis Aspö

Dennis Aspö Member

I don't have anything particular in mind, I don't do any model work but who knows what I might want to make, to be honest I don't think it's possible for me to accurately predict what I need without actually using a mill for a few years first. Catch-22.

14. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    We ship pallets to Finland quite often. Probably about £200 to £300 to ship to you.
    Of course there is a risk but i am always buying stuff off ebay,
    As long as it is palletised right - no overhangs and on a full size pallet you should be ok.

Perhaps a Marlow like mine would be the answer? Not too big - very reasonably priced. Only drawback is no quill.
    There is a chap on this forum who is thinking of selling his.

15. Dennis Aspö

Dennis Aspö Member

16. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    Here it us just after it arrived.
    Notice the big pallet for stability and bolts holding it down.
    Weighs about 400kg not as big as it looks. 20180920_165936.jpg 20180920_165922.jpg

barking mat likes this.
  17. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    That is an horizontal mill - you should be looking at a vertical or turret machine.
    And yes that is big - probably about 1500kg!

18. Dennis Aspö

Dennis Aspö Member

I thought most horizontal mill had vertical heads so they were able to convert between horizontal and vertical, like the Schaublin and Deckel mills seem to. I figured maybe that was what the attachment in the picture was.

19. Dennis Aspö

Dennis Aspö Member

I seem to be finding stuff now for some reason...
    Arboga U2508, 2000€
    [​IMG]

Way up north in Rovaniemi though.

20. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    Not most but they do. A lot don't have a quill though are aren't as useful as a proper turret mill. Of course if you are cutting gears often then a universal mill is a good idea!

Advertisements