Question related to welding cutlery

1. TechnicAl

TechnicAl Member

In a nutshell........the stuff that doesnt attract a magnet will give you the best results.....so avoid knives..........and check all the bits as some are made from 2 different grades ie the handle and the blade

BirdmanJohn likes this.
  2. BirdmanJohn Member

So ... the additional of nickel makes them easier to weld? and that's generally the cheaper generic kind of mass produced school canteen cutlery type? right? Have I understood that correctly?

Ok now I see your magnet reply, ty, and the nickel etc?

3. BirdmanJohn Member

This weekends (unfinished creation) a Jackdaw, my favorite bird. Many thanks again to all who have given me advice and tips. As always, alot still to learn, but i'm getting there. To be able to put something like this together after just a few weeks is amazing. Thank you!

Part 1 -
    Part 2 -

Each video is a minute or less :)

J

4. Great work, very impressive

BirdmanJohn likes this.
  5. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

Beautiful.

BirdmanJohn likes this.
  6. TechnicAl

TechnicAl Member

Brilliant....looks great....i can see the knives and spoons

BirdmanJohn likes this.
  7. oddbob

oddbob Forum Supporter

Good work. I've seen a fair bit of 'stuff' made with cutlery over the years, mostly just hammered, bent and pop riveted together. You seem to have a very sympathetic feel for the 'material'. Amazing for a first attempt ...waiting with interest to see what you produce next ;o)

8. BirdmanJohn Member

Wow thanks so much for the nice words, genuinely a bit humbled by them, cheers. Great website Robert, high praise indeed coming from yourself. Further inspiration for me!

If it's not spam to keep doing it I will post more build pics here when I can, otherwise, feel free to subscribe to my you tube channel, I will definitely upload future projects (and this one when its finished).

Thanks again, have a nice evening

J

9. BirdmanJohn Member

Ok, i'm going to call this done. Could be neater ... will get better.

outofthefire, anto44, oddbob and 4 others like this.
  10. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Love it!! :thumbup:

BirdmanJohn likes this.
  11. MikeJT New Member

Impressive work. Well thought out :) I like it!

BirdmanJohn likes this.
  12. arther dailey Member

absolutely great work.:) looking forward to a pheasant !

BirdmanJohn likes this.
  13. hairymel Forum Supporter

uk essex
    lovely things - anyone can weld with practice, it takes real natural flair and talent to make scrap out of the kitchen drawer actually look like a bird.

im a bit jealous really :laughing:

14. BirdmanJohn Member

Ok. So, few new things but I'm going to stop just filling this thread with them. I have made a new youtube channel specifically for the purpose ...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqRcyXuyQRlY0n-W6fNFqkg

.... and because the feedback and other encouragement and suggestions have been so many, also Instagram and Twitter. Literally the feedback has been incredible and I'm blown away by it. I will be doing much more of this in my spare time and already pipe dreaming about maybe being able to take it somewhere. Watch this space.

Many thanks again for all the advice, feedback and nice comments so far, I'll be back for more advice I'm sure of that!! Until then, it would be great to have you come visit the channel and follow how I get on. Feel free to tell anyone (and everyone) you think might be interested about it. Thanks!!

Have a great Christmas

John

Geodawg and slim_boy_fat like this.
  15. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

Impressive creations from household cutlery, what are you going to eat the dinner with now ?

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  16. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

Doesn't need to worry about that, the Jackey ate it all :)

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  17. BirdmanJohn Member

Hi people. I wonder if I could trouble you for some feedback ...

I've been trying to find a good way to capture what I am creating for youtube. I've toyed with time lapse and narration and using still pictures but now I'm trying heavily edited real time footage and talking while I'm working. If any of you good people have a spare few minutes perhaps you could give me a bit of feedback.

Here is a Dolphin done with time lapse -

and here is a Kingfisher done with real time footage -

What do you think? Which is better? What can I improve on to make this more watchable?

My gut is telling me that the real time footage is much better and with the short 'few seconds at a time' clip after clip I think it helps to captivate the viewer?

Thanks!

18. BirdmanJohn Member

Latest piece

Part 1
    Part 2

part 3 uploaded later today.

I actually need some advice too ... on finishing.Specifically on tidying up tack welds in hard to get to areas. I have a fake dremel which is ok but because of my lack of experience I am just not really familiar with the kinds of tools I can use with it.

Pretty much everything with detail (like hands etc) in this build was done with some cheap diamond cutting discs from ebay (not ideal!) but i need something more accurate, something with a point maybe. I saw a video on carbide burrs ... is this the kind of thing I should be using?

Any advice / suggestions welcomed, thanks.

Equally, any comments on my video editing also welcomed, I really want to make this as engaging and watchable as possible, thanks.

J

hairymel, Hood and minimutly like this.
  19. AndySV1K Member

Wow, you have amazing artistic talent. I'm very jealous!

What do you expect the total time to be on something like that predator piece?

I've subbed to your youtube channel as it's fascinating to watch.

Andy.

20. Muckmagnet

Muckmagnet Forum Supporter

Brilliant.

Advertisements