Press fit clearance?

1. Dcal

Dcal Forum Supporter

They both come with longitudinal front torsion bars (like a Minor or Marina) but a lot are converted to coil overs.

2. mtt.tr

mtt.tr Member

Essex England

Was thinking, if that's under the minor diameter it will deform the knurl and deform the sleeve but i get what are saying

I assume its just to give location as opposed to holding. i would be somewhat suprised if this required 50t to deform the steel id even suggest hes created a new special alloy

Here is an old bookmark which I've used in the past with success
    https://www.tribology-abc.com/sub23.htm

Last edited: May 8, 2020
  3. daleyd

daleyd Member

For info here are the Zeus tables - though it’s same info as already posted...

2B2E4030-9D10-431B-989E-F0DCBBB86C24.jpeg 449DF925-B565-43E8-AA8C-ECB7286094D7.jpeg

mm289 likes this.
  4. Seadog

Seadog Forum Supporter

I often flick past those pages in my Zeus and wonder "What's that all about then?" :D

Beeezer, zx9, Morrisman and 4 others like this.
  5. Morrisman

Morrisman Forum Supporter

Exact size per size is a hammer fit at best, interference just makes it harder.

With that spline involved I'd give it 5 thou interference as the splines will either distort, or cut, when it is pressed together.

And I'd not be surprised if that is the actual idea behind the splines: less precision needed when machining the hole, equates to less cost to manufacture.

pressbrake1 and dobbslc like this.
  6. Wallace

Wallace Member

That was covered in great detail every ruddy year at college, I would assume this position every time I heard "Selected ISO Fits, Hole Basis".:mad:

head.jpg

7. addjunkie

addjunkie Member

I felt the same when I was an apprentice, 25 years before I used it.....big fan of freezer and oven though, makes far less ooomph to push them together.

slim_boy_fat and pressbrake1 like this.
  8. pressbrake1

pressbrake1 Forum Supporter

essex england
    I’m not suggesting his application would take 50t to assemble.
    A thou interference fit on softer materials can cause broaching and galling on assembly and general dreadfulness.
    On hardish materials with good finish and the ‘female’ part to be substantial enough to have good wall thickness around the hole so not to stretch and yields great pressures to assemble can result with just a thou oversized.
    This isn’t wood , wood butcher :D

9. mtt.tr

mtt.tr Member

Essex England
    I would take the knurls purpose being to gall the part on assembly, thats the only use ive seen for knurled ball joints mostly on knckered 4x4s once the existing hole is errm for lack of polite word different

I dont like too tighter wood personally, you need a cooper for that. ;)

10. minimutly Member

That's not a knurl....

11. mtt.tr

mtt.tr Member

Essex England
    Be helpful, what would you call it?

nickk likes this.
  12. rory1

rory1 Member

It most certainly is . It’s a straight knurl

Morrisman likes this.
  13. Wallace

Wallace Member

It looks to me that the stud is used to keep the the joint in the wishbone and the knurl as an interference fit stops rotation. Is this a coilover conversion? The GM ones are an interference fit from under the wishbone with no mechanical fixing as they have the vehicle weight acting on the arm against the spring.

14. minimutly Member

I realised that after I posted it - but in my head the point I was making was it wasn't a knurl in the classic sense.
    The straight "knurl" is harder than the metal its going into, so forms it as its being pressed in, hence the accepted interference fits don't apply.

15. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Splined? :dontknow:

16. grim_d

grim_d Unlikeable idiot.

It's not splined, splines locate in one another and transmit drive.

IMO on that part the knurl serves two purposes aside from anti-rotation, it reduces the surface area of the interference making it easier to press the part in on-vehicle.

It's 2nd purpose is to allow for a difference in tolerance in the mating part due to corrosion or repeated fittings.

Morrisman, Wallace and slim_boy_fat like this.
  17. 8ob

8ob Forum Supporter

I got curious about this and had a google about, them Dang Merikuns who build a lot racers with these joints use a 10 thou interference fit. They refer to it as a "crush fit" trust them :rolleyes:

Bob

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  18. nickk Forum Supporter

Them damn Mericans like to use their own language,saves them having to learn proper English,think trump.

8ob likes this.
  19. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Noooo! :laughing:

20. mtt.tr

mtt.tr Member

Essex England
    I know these knurled ones for when wishbones hole is knackered.

Advertisements