Plastic repair/welding

1. Dcal Member

Don't be expecting miracles.
    It is welding and you wouldn't expect to weld steel and have an invisible repair with no further work.
    Plastic is the same and you need to dress the excess plastic from the weld area.

Only photo I have to hand is of the tig welding rod holders I made and you can get a reasonably tidy joint.
    This is ABS and the filler rod was cut from the same pipe

IMG_8936.JPG

Turbo likes this.
  2. Migmac

Migmac Member

My mate got a complete set of plastics for not a lot of money, they were brand new. I’ll see if he remembers where he got them from.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  3. Migmac

Migmac Member

He got them from Cheshire ATVS

4. magicgrotto Member

5. DAPPH

DAPPH Member

Near to Cross Hands Llanelli SouthWales GB
    In the mid 1970's I had to study for a course on plastic welding. The welder what was basically a simple gas welding torch with a copper lance similar to those used for lead melting work with a 1/16 or 1/32 th hole in the end slipped over this copper pipe was a 150 watt soldering iron heating element and a thermocouple , variable resistor controlled panel with a LED number display that indicated as oC from 90 to 300 . ( In fact it was matched up to a soldering iron temperature control station
    We welded with inert gas , Nitrogen IIRC , you simply put the nitrogen on turned on the heater and slowly took the temp up to around 140 oC to find the melting temp .Played with a couple of the cut sticks to get them to satisfactorily fuse . setting the heat and gas flow to optimum setting

We cut strips of plastic as wide as the plastic being repaired was thick of where it would not be noticeable for a lot of plastics have a unique formula and might not weld so well as the original plastic . Then it was very much like normal rod and gas welding but a bit slower .. Watch out for fumes and be aware the hot melted plastic stick to you as well as causing nasty burns . we managed some really flat fills that penetrated well on both edges of cracks or around inlet patches .

Turbo and slim_boy_fat like this.
  6. In the end couldn't be bothered to faff so did the repair with technology I understand:whistle:..... Its all a bit stretched so if I see a S/H fender on ebay cheap IL get it....Although wifey has now claimed it for playing Forman on so it might get a few more prangs! ..... Not a bad swap for 2 sheets of weld mesh.

20191012_120937.jpg 20191012_120955.jpg Thanks for the reply's

Turbo, Anguz, Kayos and 2 others like this.
Advertisements