Picked up a Clarke 151TE - a few basic questions

1. Yamhon Member

May as well add an engine then you can hop on and drive to it to the job site lol

slim_boy_fat and eLuSiVeMiTe like this.
  2. Yamhon Member

Had another go with the Clarke Mig today; first experienced what sounded like a significant gas leak, which seemed to be coming from the junction between the 4mm hose and the push in connector on the disposable type regulator. Tried cutting the end of the hose, with no luck; so I switched to another regulator and that seemed to sort that problem.

I'm not keen on having a loose gas hose flapping about the back of the welder. My stamos machine is terminated inside the machine, on the rear panel via a type of panel connection, I may do something similar, so the new regulator for a larger cylinder can cleanly connect on to that; hoping it will help avoid the small gas hose feeding the torch from getting damaged.

Had a look under the welder and there does appear to be two rear feet, slightly smaller than the front, which I'm assuming is intentional and the wheels look like they just pop off; so I'm not experiencing any problems getting it mounted on a welding trolley.

Realized the gas shrouds are the screw on type and all the spares I have are the push on type; so I may replace the tip adapter, as I have another tip adapter which fits all the spares I've already built up for my other machine. I should then be able to use the spares I have, rather than buying in more parts straight away.

No problems with the breaker tripping after a couple of short goes on the welding since picking it up, even using an 8m 16a extension lead each time, so the problem with my Stamos welder must lie with that welder rather than the garage wiring as a whole... I'll investigate that again at some point, although I prefer the Clarke it'll be nice to be able to make use of the MMA facility on the Stamos machine.

3. Yamhon Member

Just had a look on Ebay and found this, it might be better at some point to use one of these without the push fit on the outside side - that's what I have on the Stamos machine, so I supose if need be i could always borrow that one.

I think this will make things neater when I pack up the welder and for when I start using a reusable cylinder... with the risk of adding an additional connection into the system; I think it's worth trying out though.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nylon-Pn...hash=item3f787201ce:m:mZMCZFyXhfj1mOQtqZBl0CA

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  4. Cobbler

Cobbler Codger bodger

There have been a few posts about fitting a bulkhead coupling in the rear panel similar to a quick release airline coupler, only smaller to allow the bottle to be disconnected. I can’t remember what make of coupling was recommended. Search the gas & regulator section, or put a post on there asking the question.

Edit found it, rectus 21 fittings

Yamhon likes this.
  5. Yamhon Member

I have a type of quick release connection for my other machine, it uses a quick release connection on one side and a female screw on the other end; might be able to make use of that.

Ideally yes, I'll have a quick release on the outside of the panel and then a push fit, or something equally sound on the inside of the panel, I've not found a bulkhead connection like that yet, though I'll have another look.

6. Yamhon Member

Advertisements