Picked up a Clarke 151TE - a few basic questions

1. Yamhon

Yamhon Member

After recent discussions on here; I found an affordable used welder locally which I was able to pickup today. Hoping this will put me on until I can purchase the GYS I'm after.

I'm hoping someone can help me with a few basic initial questions I have.

As I have an existing welder already, numerous leads, clamps, etc and now the Clarke I would like to build a custom welding cart to improve mobility and organisation. The Clarke 151TE however comes with two wheels on the back and a protruding handle at the front, is there a means to remove these - while keeping the unit stable, so that it could sit on a custom made cart so it would be higher up?

I've now got several disposable gas bottles which I plan to use up, when using these with the mini regulators, I noticed there is numbers on the regulator I picked up today should I just open this full, half way... what is recommended?

When I'm done with each disposable cylinder, is there anything I need to be aware of; or can I just unscrew the regulator and screw it onto another disposable cylinder, until there all used up?

The return lead on the Clarke 151TE is quite short and doesn't feel very robust, as I replaced the leads on my Stamos machine and added Dinse connections, I'd quite like to add Dinse connections to the Clarke so I can use my much longer and robust return lead I've already made up. Having had a look inside the door opening, the "tails" for the return lead enter into this portion of the housing and then disappear into the other side where all of the electronics are. I've not had an opportunity to remove the cover yet; would replacing these "tails" be a straight forward and easy to access process once the cover is removed? There might be enough slack to add a Dinse panel socket to the existing section of cable inside the machine (these I refer to as "tails"), but it seems better to me, to replace this connection in full, which is what I did with the Stamos.

My local recycling center accepts empty spray paint cans as metal scrap, can used disposable gas canisters be treated the same way?

I very briefly tried the new Clarke at the garage when I got back and it didn't trip the breaker straight away like my Stamos started to do so I suspect the problem with the Stamos machine lies within that welder. I also noted that the ka setting on the MCB's within the garage sub panel are 6ka, so I'll replace the 6ka 16a b type with a 6ka 16a c type when I get chance to hopefully avoid any problems down the road.

Thanks everyone.

2. gaz1

gaz1 Member

theres 2 screws in handle to remove that longer handle is on mine

back wheels come off easily only a push fit i believe

its fully open wont last long contract is better for gas boc or sgs gas or hobbyweld a new regulator then

slim_boy_fat, Parm and Yamhon like this.
  3. Yamhon

Yamhon Member

Will get a proper cylinder asap, already have a separate cylinder trolley.

4. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

A friend of mine used to use a 151 on small disposable cylinders and he turned it off after every tack to stop it running out so quickly. He always used the Co2 cylinders as they held a lot more than the Ar/Co2 mixed disposables.

Yamhon likes this.
  5. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

arther dailey, Parm and Yamhon like this.
  6. Yamhon

Yamhon Member

Firstly need to figure out how stable the Clarke 151 will be when I remove the wheels. My Stamos machine was clearly designed to retain its casters, when one broke I had to remove them all and fit wooden skids so it'll sit upright on the floor and not fall over.

Thanks for the reminder about that thread; I'll have a look through this evening for ideas.

7. slim_boy_fat

When I had my 151TE, I had it on the Clarke trolley and it was OK - the Clarke job was imho a bit 'shoogly'. I sold both when I had no safe place to weld, but now that I have the R-Tech I built my trolley, which is much more stable. :thumbup: [I still have to weld outside though, since my cave is wooden. :(

Yamhon and Parm like this.
  8. optima21 Forum Supporter

Parm, Yamhon and eLuSiVeMiTe like this.
  9. Yamhon

Yamhon Member

Will read through that thread; might be a little more "drastic" than I'd like... another option would be to cut off the existing lead and mount a cable socket to plug into... not ideal, I'll think on it.

Had hoped it would be as simple as what I've done before, installing the panel socket itself seems simple enough, but the back end here seems more complicated.

Thanks for the info.

10. KTSwain New Member

UK
    The wheels are held on to the spindle with push nuts so you just need ti prise one off.

I left the wheels on my 151 (and made the cart fit inside the wheels if that makes sense) so I can use it easily either on or off the cart.

Yamhon likes this.
  11. Yamhon

Yamhon Member

I've had a look through a product manual I found online, and if I'm reading it correctly the welder comes supplies with wheels and back plastic feet. So I'm assuming my welders previous owner opted for the wheels and took or left off the back plastic feet - in which case I don't have them.

I'll have a look at the welder; see if it'll stand without wheels and without modification, or see if I can work around leaving the wheels in place. I've already contacted Clarke about obtaining spare rear plastic wheels and have a quote for just under £10 delivered... so there's that option too.

12. Craig-SM

Craig-SM Member

The wheels fit through the rear feet supports assuming it is the same as the 135TE. If it is then it will be very stable as I never fitted the wheels on mine as it was always on a trolley

Parm and Yamhon like this.
  13. Yamhon

Yamhon Member

That would be great; I should have an opportunity to test it out tomorrow. I do find the wheels and the extended handle easy to move around, far more than the platform trolley I've been using up to now. I am looking forward to a custom trolley so I can have the welder higher up though.

14. slim_boy_fat

Just don't make it too high, or the whole outfit will be top heavy. :( A little extra width helps with stability. :thumbup:

Yamhon likes this.
  15. Yamhon

Yamhon Member

Will be keeping the broken welder underneath, side benefit of ballast I suppose until I fix it or get another welder.

Our drive is a right bumpy mess; will casters cope or can you get wheels which will swivel?

Thanks for the tips.

16. slim_boy_fat

Mhhh, the bigger the better in terms of castor - it depends on your definition of "bumpy mess" is, got a pic?
    How about something like this for the fronts, with fixed wheels at the back? [smaller might do, depending if your drive is or isn't like a relief map of the Himalayas :laughing:].

https://www.screwfix.com/p/select-braked-swivel-castor-200mm/7526p

Also, give some thought to securing the gas bottle inside and running a long supply hose to the machine - no point in dragging the heavy bottle around if you can avoid it. ;)

17. Yamhon

Yamhon Member

Got a security error when I tried to upload a pic for some reason; despite me posting the same pic somewhere else on the forum. The drives got a lot of damage, maybe caused by salt and bad winters, lots of pitting, etc.

The garage as a very good floor which is as smooth as anything would want, just if I need the welder outside that rolling it around might be an issue. The existing wheels on the 151TE didn't seem to mind it though.

I'm not a fan of a mix of fixed casters with only two that swivel; my platform trolley uses that approach and it's a bit of a pain to get it up to the wall when storing... which has resulted in the occasional shove - which might have upset my first welder that was sat on top of it.

I've got a robust gas cylinder trolley with two big wheels on that I plan to secure the cylinder to; though if I don't need to move the cylinder outside, it should be okay stood on that where I keep it by the wall.

18. The_Yellow_Ardvark

The_Yellow_Ardvark If in doubt ask. Same rules for everyone

As I learnt when I joined, as did others, pictures are good.

A picture paints a thousand words.

19. Yamhon

Yamhon Member

Building a welding cart that can traverse this would be helpful.

https://ibb.co/phThQq0

20. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Forum Supporter

Screenshot_20190815-204212.png

T0rnado69, slim_boy_fat and Yamhon like this.
Advertisements