Paint chalking

1. KimB

KimB Member

Haha my house isn’t that big

Ashley Burton likes this.
  2. Ashley Burton

Ashley Burton Member

Worth a try :laughing:

I had my motorbike in the house when I was painting it once!

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  3. Dcal

Dcal Forum Supporter

Got to agree, gas or diesel or kerosene won't be the best option unless it's the indirect type (routed through a heat exchanger) which can be hired.
    An electric blow heater would be a better option for you.

Can you drape sheets or covers over the steel to form a tent and put the heater in there.
    Also a good idea to get the paint in there to get it up to room temperature or keep the paint in the house until you are ready to use it.
    It's surprising how much heat you can build up if you reduce the drafts and the size of area you are trying to heat.
    Once it's nice and toasty take the covers off, paint it, let it get touch dry and put the covers back on.

Paints 4 "trade" have a pretty useless website.
    The paint they supplied you states it's for professional use only, so they are required to supply TDS and COSHH information. I'm sure they don't make it, just rebrand it but that's no excuse.
    The fact that you have to ring them to get technical information would worry you.
    They don't even link to the manufacturers websites who do keep a library or the information you require.
    Anyone know who makes the paint for them?

4. dobbslc

dobbslc Forum Supporter

What about a 2kw fan heater blowing through the inside of the box section?
    It's more focused and if the other heater is on too then that will warm things up. Just make sure the electrics are up to it.....:D

Ashley Burton likes this.
  5. Shedendman

Shedendman Member

east sussex
  6. Ashley Burton

Ashley Burton Member

@dobbslc doesn't sound a bad suggestion!

7. sako243

sako243 Member

Depending on how well insulated your garage is you could do what my Dad did when he was undersealing his Shogun in the barn. He built a little cocoon out of Celotex and scaffolding to enclose it and then had a diesel heater inside warming up the entire cocoon before he started work.

The important thing is to get the room up to a suitable ambient temperature and if the steel is at the same ambient temperature then condensation shouldn't form on it. How you achieve that is slightly irrelevant. I did think about heating up the inside of the box section, that will work for getting it up to temperature but I'd be wary of leaving the heater like that because you'll end up with localised heat near the heater.

KimB likes this.
  8. arther dailey Member

it box tube, use hot air gun down the bore, wait untill touch warm by hand at far end.

9. spencer 427

spencer 427 Member

uk colchester
    Yer that's definitely cold does that to paint.

10. KimB

KimB Member

This xylène paint is awful. I’m so fed up. I had it all really warm and it was still causing issues. I can’t see it being an issue to put into the ground. If the paint still looks rubbish I’m going to repaint it by hand. I’m so fed up with relentlessly trying to sort it but it just won’t paint right.

11. Ashley Burton

Ashley Burton Member

@KimB it can be very frustrating!

I feel your pain

12. spencer 427

spencer 427 Member

uk colchester
    It can be a pain. I have to warm up my work place for a fair while before painting. Even indoors my paint room is warm all the time.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
Advertisements