Paint chalking

1. KimB

KimB Member

Hi guys, so I painted the bi-fold gate posts this weekend. For some reason on of the posts especially has what I think is called paint chalking. Some areas it’s perfect and others bits it’s got powder like finish to it? Any idea?
    0767BBF0-27A5-41FF-B30F-87601B4C738F.jpeg
    Can be seen clearly below?
    F47D251C-C88A-4456-9F0A-AAF895D264B2.jpeg

2. Fazerruss

Fazerruss Member

West Yorkshire
    I've had this happen when painting in cold conditions. For me it tends to only happen with cellulose based paints and is obviously more visible on black rather that lighter colours.

andy28 and KimB like this.
  3. Shedendman

Shedendman Member

east sussex
    What paint did you use?

4. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

It’s too cold to paint at the minute Kim.

andy28, KimB and brightspark like this.
  5. brightspark

brightspark Member

called bloom in cold damp conditions

Windy Miller, Hopefuldave and Brad93 like this.
  6. Shedendman

Shedendman Member

east sussex
  7. arther dailey Member

if you are going to re paint get a hot air gun and warm the metal first, obviously not to hot to blister paint but enought to dry the metal and leave touch warm, infra red heater also good for this , paint , then apply gentle heat again. a faff but stops damp affecting paint.

Ian James, Parm, Hopefuldave and 3 others like this.
  8. KimB

KimB Member

Thanks for all the advice guys. Maybe that’s why the bigger one did it and the smaller didn’t. I had a heater in there but the thick post is twice as thick and twice the size so obviously requires more heat to get to a decent temp.

9. KimB

KimB Member

Any idea in the temp the steel should be to paint? Like I say I had a heater in there over night but it still went like that

10. Shedendman

Shedendman Member

east sussex
    What does it say on the tin,should have depending what paint it is at what temps are ideal to use in
    I take it,it was primed/undercoated 1st,or was it a one coat does all jobby?

11. KimB

KimB Member

No I primed it yesterday with grey zinc primer. I ordered it from paint4trade or something like that. I asked their advice before ordering and that’s what they sent but I’ll have to get a pic because I can’t remember what it’s called.

Ashley Burton and Shedendman like this.
  12. Shedendman

Shedendman Member

east sussex
  13. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

Minimum 10 degrees, that’s air temp, I’d personally want 15 degrees so the steel is at least 10.

andy28, KimB and eLuSiVeMiTe like this.
  14. KimB

KimB Member

15. Dcal

Dcal Forum Supporter

Theirs no need to guess, just get a technical data sheet for the paints they supplied. (They will be available from the manufacturer's website.)
    It will tell you the environmental conditions required for application and drying.

Reasonable application temperature is always better but some paints can be applied below freezing (most are two pack and have a winter or fast hardener for the application)
    The big problem is water or most probably in your case condensation and that depends on temperature and relative humidity.
    Relative humidity isn't that easy to measure without proper kit but if it feels damp in the garage or cold surfaces are damp it's below the dew point and you shouldn't paint.
    Usually manufacturers recommend 3 to 5 degrees above the dew point for painting.

Having said that if you had a heater in the garage and it was warmer inside than outside I'm surprised you had a problem.

Parm likes this.
  16. KimB

KimB Member

E50860B7-AAF0-4154-B0D0-49A1D5700190.jpeg 082F19BE-4936-4075-831D-FBAE1D072EA0.jpeg C525F57A-5C4A-4F7E-9F54-64938AC7DB7B.jpeg

17. sako243

sako243 Member

Did you have the heater on for a long period before starting painting? 8mm steel is going to take a long time to warm up to ambient. As it'll likely be cooler there may well be condensation starting to form.

If you're going to reapply it it might be worth using a blow torch or aiming the heater directly at the steel to get it up to / over temperature and then letting it cool back down to the warmer ambient.

I know you like keeping the house tidy but it's there any chance of bringing it inside to do the painting? It'll be warmer and dryer than the garage (hopefully).

18. Ashley Burton

Ashley Burton Member

Yeah I don't think you've got the weather for painting steel that thick. It's going to take some heating to get it up to a good temperature to paint if I'm honest

19. KimB

KimB Member

I might see if I can get a gas space heater. Maybe be able to do it then. I can’t get it in my house and I’m spraying it so defo won’t be doing it in the house haha.

sako243 and Ashley Burton like this.
  20. Ashley Burton

Ashley Burton Member

Only problem with gas is that it creates condensation

Just an idea, But could you bring it inside to get it upto room temperature, Spray it in the garage & bring it back inside to dry?

Ian James likes this.
Advertisements