Outlander prev opinions

1. rkde

rkde Me called Richard

Solihull, UK
    Had one new and kept it for about a year, feeling was it's an ok white goods car but there was so much I hated about it so it had to go.

Fuel was good when it was only on electric, long trips the fuel was low 30s but much better than my other cars.

Engine was gruff, noisy and low power, would have been better to have a turbo. Didn't like the way the hybrid system kicked in an out especially using ice when you wanted to pull out quick as there was no pure ev on the first version.

Build quality of the car is bad, much lower than something like Vauxhall's Ford's etc with vibrations and thin hard plastic with clunky buttons. Sat Nov and audio system was appalling.
    Brakes clunked as the pads moved in the caliper but this was an early issue now resolved

There cars do come with a lot of equipment, towed well even on electric. Great car if you only used it for short trips or your not bother by tech or build quality.
    Seats were comfortable and it did drive nice and the family enjoyed it

For me it was just depressing, boring, slow, built badly and the tech was really budget.

I changed to petrol again and I'm getting a van next, I work where a ulez is coming into play but euro 6 cars are fine so why bother? 2015+ petrols are fine and the hybrid cars are not always better than just ice in ulez areas.

Take one out and make your own view, others I know go through liking it and hating them. Quite a few of us got them for tax reasons...

stuvy likes this.
  2. stuvy

stuvy Member

I will say a vauxhall is a lower build quality than the ford she tried a good few cars before buying her new fiesta st line x thankfully it’s not like the new BMW’s that have it written across the rear bootlid and now the front wings!

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  3. sako243

sako243 Member

The biggest hit you'll take on battery range is when you add weight and inefficiencies, therefore going the toy-off-roader route is going to massively impact the range
    If this is your justification for a 4x4 / off-road variant then I'd say don't bother with a high-riding pseudo off-roader and I'd strongly consider an estate variant. Will probably have more boot space, easier to load and a flat floor as well as being more economical.

Realistically how often do are you likely to get snow and stuck because of it? I mean this was me earlier in the week in the Highlands on a private estate road out deer stalking and realistically a 4WD estate with about 4" of ground clearance could make it up that track, a 2WD with a little exuberance would probably make it up too - but it would be easier without the snow because you could pick the route more easily. Vans make it up regularly (albeit not in the snow) to check the hydroelectric scheme that's been going for years but they have a little more ground clearance.

And yes I do realise the photo shows a Defender bonnet there - but that was taken up because it was towing an Argocat and I also had to drive it off the side of the road and down the hill for a bit to winch the Argocat up a steep bit of hill it couldn't get traction on.
    DSC_0001_4.JPG

4. stuvy

stuvy Member

@sako243 whats the argocat like in the snow? It’s on my list of vehicles to own

5. sako243

sako243 Member

PM inbound to not clutter up the thread.

stuvy likes this.
  6. Bladevane

Bladevane Member

Electric only range varies on driving style, season (whether heating or heated seats used), speed etc. I’ve not noticed battery range deterioration, still shows around 29 miles when fully charged although this can’t be achieved in reality.

slim_boy_fat and stuvy like this.
  7. Bladevane

Bladevane Member

These are not true 4x4 vehicles and cannot be compared to LR or others. The rear axle is driven only because the electric power (80kW) was too big for one motor. Transition between electric and ICE is pretty seamless. Ground clearance is also not in the true 4x4 league. Essentially these are hybrid cars with a SUV body, which works well for me, maybe not so for others.

stuvy likes this.
  8. sg66 Member

Thanks for all the info, lots to consider.

I Def want a hybrid, that rules out petrol and diesel only, most of the journeys will be under 20mile, anything over that I'm prepared to accept low mpg but to be honest my idea of low mpg is 12, I've a v8 90 and a v12 xj so 20+ on the odd occasion ain't no big deal.

Build quality, well the disco 2 is hardly strewn with quality plastic and certainly ain't quiet.

Will go have a test ride and see if I can work out how to get it into electric only drive.

stuvy likes this.
  9. Bladevane

Bladevane Member

You will find that you can't "force" it into electric only. Good ways of encouraging it into this mode are switching off heating in cold weather, pressing the ECO button, switching off heated seats and not pressing too hard on the throttle. If the electronic brain decides it wants to start the ICE it will, if only to circulate fuel after a prolonged electric only period. Hope it goes well.

sg66 likes this.
  10. stuvy

stuvy Member

that’s your best bet to see how you find the interior

I will start a new thread but I’m loving my new v8

sg66 likes this.
  11. sg66 Member

V8 what and where is the thread?

12. stuvy

stuvy Member

patient’s!

I need to get some good pictures first

sg66 likes this.
  13. sg66 Member

Bad pics better than no pics

Ruffian and stuvy like this.
  14. EBME2 Member

I had one for 5 years did around 120k miles in it, I would echo comments so far got about 40 mpg out of it. Only issue I had was rear brake callipers but this was subject to a recall. It is one of the few PHEVs that has the rapid charging plug if that is a consideration.

I have a Mini Countryman PHEV now, smaller but way more fun. Still liked my Outlander though.

15. dobbslc

dobbslc Forum Supporter

What was the rear brake recall about? I have some knocking from the rear at the moment although it sounds like the roll bar. :thumbup:

stuvy likes this.
  16. EBME2 Member

The rear calliper handbrake mechanism seized, for me the handbrake cable was not under tension as the spring didn’t return it and the cable knocked about under vehicle. Both sides of mine went, first was before the recall, mine was a 2014 model.

stuvy likes this.
  17. dobbslc

dobbslc Forum Supporter

Thanks, I think that's been sorted on mine :thumbup:
    Probably means there's a worn out Bush at the back then!!!:(
    Just to say the car has 57K on the clock and had a very bumpy lane to drive down every day so I can't really blame it...

stuvy likes this.
Advertisements