Outlander prev opinions

1. sg66 Member

That would be phev dohhh.

Looking to replace the discount, as our city is going anti car a hybrid is looking more attractive.

Needs to be big, have a large load area, and have 4wd

This is the standby for when my Van is fooked.

Now I have noticed people slating the mpg but usually the disco does 1500 mile a year, think it had 70k on it when I bought it and it's got 75k on now about 4yrs or so later so mpg ain't really an issue.

It will be plugged in and will very often only get used for less than 20mile so the majority of that will use no petrol, the van only gets 30mpg so even on longer runs 25-30 without electric will hardly be noticed.

Benefits, 0 Road tax, can use it into city when clean air zone comes in, very little in petrol.

Downsides, a no doubt very complicated vehicle with expensive bits to go wrong.

Anyone have any experience of driving/owning one.

Cheers

2. stuvy

stuvy Member

@JLP looked at one

Parm has one too and I’m sure there are other people on here with them

Iv heard there not good on fuel but can’t personally say that

sg66 likes this.
  3. sg66 Member

The mileage I do that's not a problem, had considered a porsche cayenne but that's really not practical

4. sg66 Member

Will spend 90 percent of its life doing short runs, looking at a 2014/15

5. Shox Dr

Shox Dr Chief Engineer to Carlos Fandango

Friend of my dads had one, the mitzy dealer begged him to take it. (He’s been a mizty loyal customer for 40+yrs)

Took it back after a month. Fuel consumption was abysmal

6. bricol Member

N.Yorks, UK
    My boss was only slagging off his bosses version over brekkie at work this morning - terrible ergonomics, cheap plastics, terrible mpg and it only just about manages to get out the work gate on electric . . .

7. Bobtail4x4 Member

yorkshire
    I know a couple of people with them,
    one his wife works 12 miles away, does the return trip on electric, rarely goes further but says it drinks like a navvy when on petrol.
    the other mate had it 2 years, and cant wait to get rid, he had a diesel freelander before that cost him about 50% of the mitsi to fuel.

8. dobbslc

dobbslc Forum Supporter

I've got the diesel version, 7 seater 2015 2.3L auto. The interior is a bit plasticky but not to bad, there's plenty of room in the back for junk but not sure if the Durecell's would eat into that on the PHEV.
    It's a big old tank that wallows about a bit as the suspension is very soft. We have the GX3 spec witch is ok with A/C, leather seats etc but no DAB stereo. It has a full size (I think) spare wheel under the floor.
    My wife loves it, I prefer my 24 year old Toyota Surf!

eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
  9. sg66 Member

Thanks

I'm sure interior will feel like it's from 2030 compared to disco2

Also it can't be anymore wallowy than the disco, think Durecell version has no spare, I can live with that, the rear still folds flat, there is no 7 seat option on battery version but I don't think the rear storage is overly compromised

10. atomant48

atomant48 Member

Salisbury UK
    Hybrid XC90 an option ?

11. Bladevane

Bladevane Member

I’ve had my PHEV for just over 4 years and in that time have covered around 60,000 miles on local, short and long journeys. Overall petrol consumption is around 45 mpg but this does not take into account electricity usage. I got 53k out of original tyres, but then I don’t drive like my trousers are on fire. It’s spacious, a little noisy because it’s got a big space behind you and comfortable. In other words restful on long trips and easy to get into and out of. Would I have another one? Possibly. The newer ones have front ends that look like a transformer (not the voltage type) but so far I’m not thinking of changing it.

12. sg66 Member

deteriorated muchevane, post: 1494642, member: 25900"]I’ve had my PHEV for just over 4 years and in that time have covered around 60,000 miles on local, short and long journeys. Overall petrol consumption is around 45 mpg but this does not take into account electricity usage. I got 53k out of original tyres, but then I don’t drive like my trousers are on fire. It’s spacious, a little noisy because it’s got a big space behind you and comfortable. In other words restful on long trips and easy to get into and out of. Would I have another one? Possibly. The newer ones have front ends that look like a transformer (not the voltage type) but so far I’m not thinking of changing it.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, nice to hear from an owner, I'm happy with anything over 30mpg

What distance do you get on electric only, have the batteries deteriorated machine the time you have had it, is there anyway to tell the condition of the batteries?

13. Ruffian Member

Dad bought a brand new one last year.

He hates it and is looking at changing already and looking at alternatives.

14. sg66 Member

Reasons being?

15. Ruffian Member

Had a 3.2 did shogun before,

Says it's too small, poor range on electric (circa 20miles tops) doesn't think the petrol engine is overly great, eats front tyres.

I shut off listening to be fair as advised him against it for what would be best for him

eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
  16. willie.macleod

willie.macleod Member

Driven the commercial version a few times, not a nice handling vehicle - not good at going round corners and felt a bit underpowered. The Disco 2 is in a different league if yours doesn't go, stop and turn better than the Outlander there's something well wrong with yours! The interior isn't up to much either, doesn't feel logical and too many buttons on the steering wheel. Don't expect to get much in the way of electric-only range, take all numbers with a pinch of salt till you see for yourself. Best find an example and get a test drive yourself - ideally a few hours so you can check the real-world electric-only range.

17. sg66 Member

Was planing on a test drive see how far I can get on electric.

0 to 60 for the PHEV is 4 seconds quicker than the disco?

Speed ain't a concern, I want something big reliable with 4x4. I go through a set of front tyres on my Van every year, so tyre wear ain't going to be that bad. It also needs to be clean air zone compatible

I have bought Un popular cars in the past, usually they are cheaper than comparative cars

18. stuvy

stuvy Member

do it

Iv just brought a v8 to commute to work as it’s only 15 mins and Iv found myself taking the long way there and back

sako243, slim_boy_fat and sg66 like this.
  19. willie.macleod

willie.macleod Member

I don't think they are unpopular, looks like most hybrids/evs are making good money just now as clean air zones kick in. Your test drive to test max range on electric is a good plan. Maybe my expectations were set too high, but I wanted it to be better than it was as I was thinking of buying the 7 seater version for myself. Do you need to take it off-road or tow with it? Any hybrid or EV should have oodles of torque, but the Outlander just seemed to be lacking.

20. sg66 Member

It's backup for work for when vans dead or roads are white and clean air zone, need big boot preferably flat, not really off road as such but country roads hills and un tarmaced.

Had a legacy estate for 4yrs, that was ok and pretty unstoppable with snow tyres on, until snow got to floor.

Have been looking, but for circa 10k it's the only hybrid that ticks all the boxes.

I have other fixes for speed so that's of no concern, anything around 30mpg is fine, 0 Road tax is a bonus, did give serious thought to cayenne but Road tax and insurance ain't compatible for something that could do 2k miles a year.

stuvy likes this.
Advertisements