Opinions on Cebora Arc Welder?

1. Andy Gregg

Andy Gregg Member

Hi all,

I've been after a used arc welder, and a Cebora 210 dual voltage has come up for reasonable money. I have been using my Cebora Boxer mig for odd jobs, but found that I wasn't getting enough penetration when I tried welding a bracket to my trailer.

What's the consensus of opinion on used arc welders. Do I just need to avoid and invest in an inverter?

Any help much appreciated!

2. gaz1

gaz1 Member

arc welders are for anything upwards of 5mm depending on your mig welder that you have

i have the cebora 195 mig welder

i also have 2 arc welders a sip 90 old thing and recently an oil arc welder

inverters are ok but for me they are more of new tech wont last as long as my sip 90 arc welder

Memmeddu likes this.
  3. Andy Gregg

Andy Gregg Member

Cheers gaz1. I've got the 155 which is fine for car body stuff, but I need something heavier for the bigger jobs. You reckon £55 for an old Cebora arc is ok?

4. Munkul

Munkul Jack of many trades, Master of none

Yes. nothing wrong with transformer welders if they're good quality.

Not sure if that model is AC or DC, assuming it's an AC buzzbox at worst, but that's ok... it'll be one of the better ones.

Ideally DC for stick welding, it's just smoother and nicer IMO. And you have a wider choice of rods for positional work.

Memmeddu and Andy Gregg like this.
  5. gaz1

gaz1 Member

im a skin flint so 50 to me for something old isnt a good thing

i would with an oil arc welder but that is not transportable you leave it in one place

like i said i bought an oil welder weld all day with it with no cut off cool down time on it

ive bought often enough at car boot an arc welder for 10/20.00

Andy Gregg likes this.
  6. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Stick welders are cheap as chips I think....I'd be inclined to just buy a new one and have the benefit of the warranty. I think for less than £150 you can easily get a descent new one with a 2 year warranty that is very compact and portable?

Memmeddu likes this.
  7. Andy Gregg

Andy Gregg Member

Fair enough! I'll have a look around...

8. Munkul

Munkul Jack of many trades, Master of none

If you're upping the budget that much, then you may as well get a 160 amp DC inverter. Really smooth to use, and can run up to 4mm rods which is enough for nearly anything you'd want to do.

https://migtigarc.co.uk/xts-163--mma-inverter-arc-welder-795-p.asp Something like one of these.

If you want to keep it budget then there's not much to actually go wrong with a good old branded AC machine like the Cebora.

Or you could buy a chinese inverter off amazon for under £50, but they aren't exactly a quality product.

9. Memmeddu

Memmeddu Member

Buying today a new inverter arc welder I would like to go with this
    https://www.weldequip.com/parweld-xts-162.htm
    Because it's cheap and cellulose capable
    I didn't knew that when I bought my stamos S-MMA 250 IGBT that it's cheap "Chinese?" Welder but it's a kind of lovely one
    I bought that stamos just because being a pro series from stamos it comes with 8+8meters welding leads 25mm² it's actually copper but the insulation isn't the best rubber quality in the world maybe it can be also pvc or polyethylene .
    But after changing electrode holder , ground clamp and after almost a year of use the powercord it's a good little cheap welder
    I love it

10. Andy Gregg

Andy Gregg Member

Oh ok... food for thought, I'll have a look, thanks! What's a good mid range make you might recommend?

Memmeddu likes this.
  11. Andy Gregg

Andy Gregg Member

Shame you had to change a few things, but I do very little so I'll have a look, thanks!

Memmeddu likes this.
  12. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Memmeddu likes this.
  13. Andy Gregg

Andy Gregg Member

That'd looks pretty good, and I've got no problem spending the money for good quality gear. You also can't go wrong with such a good warranty.

Have you found that's it's pretty much 'plug and play's, or have you had to customise it to make it perform, as seems to be the case with others?

Memmeddu likes this.
  14. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

My hyundai unit I just plugged it in and dialed in the amps and was good to go....nothing needed modifying and the cables were descent on the one I got (200A model).

I don't do alot of stick....but now and again something pops up like a broken gate that needs it as the mig isn't portable needing the bottle.

Memmeddu likes this.
  15. Memmeddu

Memmeddu Member

I you can afford it , you can go with a fronius transpocket 150
    But I you need to use only 7018 ,6013 and stainless rods a cheap inverter it's a great investment
    I wrote a review in this forum about my Stamos S-MMA 250 IGBT
    I paid it 140+34 Euros , and despite the problems I got with the electrode holder,the ground clamp and the power cord ,it returns the investment in less than 2 months and I'm an hobbyist ,I don't use it every day .
    I used it to repair gates, farm equipment,small heavy equipment (skid steer buckets) , build things , cut H beams using E6010 and full power
    I repeat it is a "Chinese" (made in Poland) electronic mess into a box , but it's a kind of lovely one

16. Andy Gregg

Andy Gregg Member

Yep, won't be spending £1200 on a fronius. I meant a BIT more ;)

Like you, I only need it for occasional jobs. The Hyundai might be worth a look I think!

Memmeddu likes this.
  17. Andy Gregg

Andy Gregg Member

Good to know, thanks. I'm going to look at their website later on!

18. Memmeddu

Memmeddu Member

The fronius transpocket 150 Is something like 600 euros
    Not to much expensive considering what it is

19. Andy Gregg

Andy Gregg Member

Oh. I found one on eBay and it was 1200 squids. There was a second hand one for £800!
    I'll have to have a look around...

20. Memmeddu

Memmeddu Member

It's not the TP150 but more likely the TP180 full optional

Andy Gregg likes this.
Advertisements