No puddle or penetration on first weld.

1. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

most machines dont secure through the hole as its left loose only the bigger machines have a connector to disconnect from the machine to the torch

my advice strip everything off the gun lead and look at it that could be a modded lance and gun however might not have done a good job with it

2. hanvyj Member

It's certainly been "modded" but not by anyone with any care.

[​IMG]

I think the fundamental problems is that the hole in the body doesn't line up with the after market wire feed, and rather than modifying the hole someone decided to chop up the torch end so it kind of fit, even though it was still bent as hell.

Given th condition of the torch, I think I'll have to get a new one. Then expand the hole so it can line up with the wire feed, and then secure the brass torch end to the wire feed like it's probably supposed to be.

I tried manually pulling the wire through and it did not feel smooth at all, so that probably contributed.

Does anyone recognise the wire feed mechanism from a particular brand? Might make sens to get a torch that will fit the feed rather than the rest of the welder since that's the main interface.

3. hanvyj Member

I though you always wanted to feed from the side the feeder was on? So if it was high up like mine feed from the top, if the wire feed was low down feed from the bottom. Basically the way with the least "crossover" and bending?

4. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

5. hanvyj Member

Yeah, those were the ones I was looking at. Worth a go rather than just giving up and spending £200+ on a new welder. Just don't want to sink too much money into a lost cause...

Even if they don't "fit" fit I could probably fab a bracket for them to bolt into that uses the same holes as the feed so it's as good as it can be.

6. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

id wait until someone says there the type you need sip is generic so some parts might fit your model others might not

you could measure your thread and enquire

7. mike 109444

mike 109444 Member

uk Bristol
    You should be able to get that end of the torch "fixed" you need to take it to somewhere that does the hydraulic hoses as they will have the crimp tool. You will need to prepare the end.
    Be aware that there should NOT be an electrical circuit between the wire feed assembly (the braided cable in your post 47) and the chassis of the machine. Should be less of a problem with a plastic feed assemble.

8. gt6s Member

That torch lead is a total mess you need a new one.

Laurence

9. hanvyj Member

The lead is a mess, the end is a mess, the torch is a mess (tip wise, the guy who had this last ruined the threads trying to fit an M6 tip to an M5 tap).

Ordered a new torch. Hopefully I can make it work and it's not throwing money at something that isn't worth fixing!

eLuSiVeMiTe, gaz1 and gt6s like this.
  10. gt6s Member

Yeah I was holding back a bit. I did not want to make you feel you have a lemon, Yes that stuff can all be fixed but as you say is it worth it ?

Laurence

eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
  11. grimbo New Member

buckinghamshire
    Member 66062 likes this.
  12. hanvyj Member

Okay. Fitted the torch. I extended the hole so it's inline with the wire feed, and clamped the shiny new torch to the wire feed.

It seems to feed wire well now. It can consistently push a bit of wood along and firing it at an angle the motors push the wire consistently until there's too much pressure and it stops. Makes a nice curl of wire pushing it at an angle against a piece of wood.

The results? Still terrible!

[​IMG]

It seemed to start the "bzzz" of consistently working for a few seconds but most of the time, as you can see, the wire just pushed against metal. With the better wire feed you can see the times when it's not working (in-between the "zap zap... zap" of intermittent ark where nothings happening. As the wire is just bending into little loops until next time the welder decides to work.

Never seen anything like this on the "how not to weld" pics. I might try a completely different bit of metal and earth connection.

13. hanvyj Member

Yeah, I may have had it clamped down too much.

14. hanvyj Member

Woohoo!

[​IMG]

Changed the tip on the torch (but I think it was 0.8 anyway), lowered the feed pressure until I could stop it, and tried it on a higher power on a much thicker piece of metal.

Feel like that's something I can work with!

Just have to work backwards and see if I can identify exactly what I did to make it work.

Thanks for the help everyone.

decca and Member 66062 like this.
  15. mike 109444

mike 109444 Member

uk Bristol
    :clapping::clapping::clapping: :thumbup:

16. hanvyj Member

Still having issues with the wire feed. It's better with the new torch. I can get an inch or so of weld (sometimes), then I can feel a little "hiccup" and hear the motor not pushing wire for a half second, it's really messing up what already terrible welds I can manage.

The thing is, it feels perfectly consistent when I pinch the wire with my fingers. It pushes it out and when I pinch it it slows down depending on the pressure until I can force it to stop. I can't feel any skipping. Then I try weld and it's inconsistent. Could the issue be elsewhere?

The steel I'm using is new, completely scale/rust free so there should be a good earth connection.

17. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

by sound of it its sticking or your welding at time it welds back to torch jams for a second then releases

other one can be your line isnt straight enough to the gun can also cause wire bind and jam for a second

18. hanvyj Member

I'll try doing it with a really straight line. It didn't look like it's welding back to the torch, but I'll try out for it when I give it another go.

A lot of gas leaked when I was transporting the thing, could low gas cause such a problem? The welds themselves didn't seem to look like the "low/no gas" pictures I've seen though.

19. Ian James Member

It might be worth checking the wire feed speeds up and slows down at you turn the dial and for look connections within the welder some of those early pictures look othough you are loosing welding current allso try playing with the lower settings and see if it changes anything

20. hanvyj Member

This was something I tried while I was pinching it, the speed controller didn't seem to do a lot, but it was only an offhand test, didn't really put much thought into it. The thing seems to work better at higher settings. With the thick metal it was a lot less temperamental than the thin stuff I was first trying it with.

I've used multimeters but usually on low voltage stuff! I'm not very confident with mains voltage.

Ian James likes this.
Advertisements