No puddle or penetration on first weld.

1. hanvyj Member

Okay, that didn't go well at all!

I tried for the first time welding. It's really thin 1mm scrap steel. I was expecting a "puddle" of molten metal, but none seemed to form at all. I was just plonking on droplets of weld onto the metal. Zero penetration. I tried holding it in one place but it just started building up a tower of said metal. Fast or slow, the heat didn't seem to go into the steel to make a puddle.

The minimum setting should be good according to the calculator for 1mm but I tried the next one up (holes would be fine!) But didn't seem to change much.

I noticed, compared to videos I've seen the arc was not at all consistent. It was popping like a few times to once a second. Not a crackly bzzz, more a "snap snap snap... snap".

Any ideas what's gone wrong?

[​IMG]

(Note, due to a messed up torch I'm operating with a 4.5mm inset tip, so maybe there's just too much distance between the wire and the weld? I could shorten the shroud with a grinder!)

2. Looks like a poor earth connection or reverse polarity.

3. hanvyj Member

The earth was clamped onto the freshly ground metal I was attempting to weld (a few ft down the length), I'll check all the connections are secure on the welder, but is that normally sufficient?

I'll double check the polarity though, thanks!

4. gaz1

gaz1 Member

are you using gas or gasless if gas you may have run out of gas what type of bottle are you using ?

if a small bottle could have run out of gas or the regulator not working correctly

5. hanvyj Member

Gas, and I bought it with a none disposable gas bottle with regulator. But I got it so it made a hiss when I pulled the trigger, but I didn't actually set the pressure to anything specific! I'll take a look at it and check what is set it to.

6. hanvyj Member

Hmm. Was sure it was half full when I bought it, but it's looking pretty low. Maybe I wasn't screwed down properly :(

[​IMG]

7. gaz1

gaz1 Member

thats not a disposable bottle its a refill bottle could be a hobby gas bottle

what mig welder are you using ? as sometimes buttons or switches need toggerling a few times to get them to work corectly on the machine

another point for learning your gas is a little high right reg is your fullness of gas bottle the left is your output on those regs

8. hanvyj Member

Sorry, meant non-disposable. It's an SGS rent free hobby bottle, 95%, not sure the size exactly.

Yeah, the gas wasn't that high when I was welding I was just twiddling it to work out, as you say, which was the bottle (guessed the one that goes to 300 bar!) And which was outlet pressure. So it might have been too low prior to me twiddling it. I think it was about half that, more closer to the 10.

The switches seem pretty smooth. The machine is a "cosmo 130", which is a SIP 130 under a different brand. The wire feed has been replaced with something from a bigger machine I believe though. The welder seems in decent condition, from my amateur eyes, but the torch has seen better days:

[​IMG]

9. mike 109444

mike 109444 Member

uk Bristol
    Poor wire feed. Don't OVER or UNDER tension the pressure roller. Are there any kinks on that torch hose in-particular the wire liner ?
    You have not oiled the roller have you ?

10. hanvyj Member

Not oiled anything! Is the pressure roller the wheels contacting the wire to pull it through? If so, I didn't know I could adjust the pressure. I'll give that a go.

There may be some kinks in the liner, the torch cable (liner, gas pipe and wire) are no longer in a rubber sheath together and are just held together with a few cable ties. Doesn't look great...

11. mike 109444

mike 109444 Member

uk Bristol
    YES :clapping:

12. mike 109444

mike 109444 Member

uk Bristol
    Easy way to set tension of roller.
    Back off roller thumb screw so that it does NOT feed when trigger pulled.
    Point torch at a bit of wood and pull trigger. Keep trigger pulled until wire starts to feed then gradually increase pressure until wire starts to push wood. STOP adjusting. Now turn back about half a turn. Should now be set.
    When you need to load new roll then you flip the roller lever WITHOUT adjusting the thumb screw, load new wire and re-latch lever.
    Post a pic of the "NEW"? feed unit.

13. Davek0974

Davek0974 Arse!, Drink!, Girls!

Is the wire feed roll set for size of wire you are using?
    0.6mm groove for 0.6mm wire etc???

14. hanvyj Member

Definitely a problem with wire feed I think. When I watch the wire it's inconsistent.

Here's the "new" feeder:
    [​IMG]

I think the issue might simply be with the lovely job on the wheel thingy though:

[​IMG]

Presumably to make it "fit" with a larger wheel of wire?

15. gaz1

gaz1 Member

you have a problem with your front end on feeder that supposed to be straight not bent on the nut

16. hanvyj Member

Yeah, it's not the reel, I took it off and just gave it a bit of slack and I can feel it feeding inconsistently. Its kind of in bursts. Like maybe half the wheel is slipping, and half working.

I'll try take some of this electrical tape off and see what's going on with the torch connection.

17. Arclikeharrypotter Member

Always feed the wire from the bottom of the reel!

18. gaz1

gaz1 Member

look towards the front of your machine the nut and bolt piece is supposed to be a straight out feed not a bent down feed

19. hanvyj Member

Yeah, whoever put in the "new" wire feed really **Language** things up. This'll teach me for getting something second hand without seeing it first.

20. hanvyj Member

Removed the wire feed completely, and it seems to function smoothly in isolation from the torch.

The torch? This is what the electrical tape was hiding:

[​IMG]

I'm assuming the brass bit should secure the torch on a hole through he body, looks like the hole has been made much bigger here so it doesn't secure on anything.

Advertisements