New welder

1. shorter_alexander New Member

Hi Guys,

Sorry to be asking the same question you probably hear all day long. Is this a good welding kit to buy?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MIG-WELD...rentrq:c68955651710ad4ea1b59d2affd1d822|iid:1

Im going to be doing just car body work and I like the fact everything is included. I know its eBay but I like the fact it has auto settings and seems pretty easy to use. Are there any other kits that include everything needed that are better? Thanks in advance.

Alex

2. Bigjoe Moved to the country!

It's from Poland,which could cause problems,plenty of UK based suppliers

3. Craig-SM

Craig-SM Member

No experience of the brand. It seems a good deal but my only concern would be the support with supplier being in Poland

4. shorter_alexander New Member

Are there any kits like that with auto settings anyone could recommend?

5. shorter_alexander New Member

Thanks for your reply guys

6. Craig-SM

Craig-SM Member

Kemppi are the ones that spring to mind but twice the price.

stuvy and Pigeon_Droppings2 like this.
  7. mr haynes Member

Gys do synergic range

8. Bigjoe Moved to the country!

Lincoln Bester 190c or r-tech 180 are a similar price

9. Shedendman

Shedendman Member

east sussex
    Dont bother,for a start how they going to post a bottle of gas,and looking at the ad it says Gas bottle Ar/CO2 mix 8l with a CO2 reg,interesting
    Auto settings mean nothing plus 35amps at the low end is a little too high.
    Is £500 you max budget for everything?

10. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

I have the Kemppi 200 Evo...it's expensive but you get what you pay for.

This kit seems too cheap to me...but you never know I guess. If you can afford to take the risk?...but if it breaks what happens....or worse doesn't turn up?

11. Shedendman

Shedendman Member

east sussex
    Whats ATC feature for thin elements:dontknow:?

12. shorter_alexander New Member

Thanks guys, I don’t want to spend a lot more than £500 if I can avoid it. So you think this a no then? I’m not sure what to go for! Lost in a minefield!

13. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

There are plenty of cheaper welders I think with UK support...my only experience has been with migmate (rubbish) and Kemppi (excellent).

I reckon the main problem with the cheaper machines is that they "might" make it more difficult to learn if you are a total beginner. Someone with experience can get the best out of any machine so there will be plenty of people out there getting amazing results from cheaper welders.

Any machine with a low enough power level and continuously variable power settings (ie twiddle knob not switch selectors for the power) will have potential for car repair. At the cheaper end I believe there was a review of a backline machine on here which looked pretty good.

https://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/threads/blackline-200-amp-mig-mag-mma-arc-welder.94372/

14. Shedendman

Shedendman Member

east sussex
    IMHO I'd stay clear of it,looks like one of those to good to be true
    SO
    2nd market for you then on the welder side,say £200-£250 max if your lucky
    Gas hobbyweld £100 best bet
    Mask £25+/-
    Reg £20+/-
    Gloves £10+/-
    Wire 0.8 5Kg £20 upwards depending on quality
    That'll get your foot in the door,just,you've other tools to think about also,list goes on
    I guessing you're new to the art of car body work?

stuvy likes this.
  15. Munkul Member

Cumbria, UK
    People post gas bottles anyways. I've had them in the post before, the seller just doesn't 'fess up that it's actually full.
    Loads of regulators say CO2 or Argon, they're fine to use on a mix of both
    35 amps is fine for a low end, on MIG you're unlikely to find a good setting below 50 amps anyway

I agree though, it probably won't be a great machine, and whereever you buy you want easy UK support.

16. Shedendman

Shedendman Member

east sussex
    Post a gas bottle from Poland?
    Ad pic shows a CO2 reg,without an adaptor its not going to fit on a Argon mix bottle
    I've a TecArc 211 that goes as low as 20 amp at 14.5 V,not fully sure but a few of the cheaper low end clarkes are down to 30amps 17V about ish
    Yes indeed UK support:thumbup:

17. shorter_alexander New Member

Hi Guys, still haven't bitten he bullet can someone just clarify is a welder from 30amps ok for car body work or does it need to be 25amps ideally? Thanks guys.

18. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

I doubt 5 amps will make much difference.....what will make a big difference is continuously variable power control. Some welders have a switch setup (my old mig mate was switch based).....pressing various combinations of switches gave you various "power bands". Because the bands were fixed it was then down to wire speed to set things up....I found its a faff. So if the front panel of a mig machine is full of switches it'll usually be switch based power.

Welding cars you're rarely welding long runs....I spend most of my time spot welding (stop start technique)....this prevents burn thro but also allows you to limit the heat you put into the panel.

There are lots of techniques that allow you to cheat most of the time....using a copper plate behind the weld joint for example.

19. shorter_alexander New Member

thanks for the quick reply so 30amp should be ok? is 35amps a bit too high? looking at a few welders with power settings starting from 30/35 amps but just haven't had the confidence to press the button on them yet.

20. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

I was just looking up what my Kemppi goes down to....looks like it goes as low as 20A (in the spec). I can definitely weld down to about 0.5mm steel with it.

I think in one of the other threads they were saying that the lower range amps sometimes aren't very accurate in the specs so personally I'd go with a review from someone who has used the welder on car repairs and can verify...you could be discounting a welder because the spec says 40a ....but in reality it'll weld much lower.

I really like the synergetic control on the Kemppi...allows me to just dial in the steel thickness. It saves a lot of time...the thing basically welds itself I think.

So what is on your shortlist at the moment?

Advertisements