New DSG to me

1. pressbrake1

pressbrake1 Forum Supporter

essex england
    I’m torn
    The dsg from 50’s onward are very special and capable of earning a living and have decent spindle bores.
    But made in Yorkshire
    I love Holbrooks but painfully old fashioned (except Herbert holbrooks)
    Silly spindle bore and left hand drive.
    But made in London then ESSEX!!:D

Brad93 likes this.
  2. Hopefuldave Intergalactic pot-mender

Wouldn't call the model C old-fashioned - metric and imperial, D1 camlock, good speed range, micrometer stops. Spindle bore's a pain, but the spindle itself makes it worth it, seriously rigid - and the Model C were made in Stratford, so local to you ;)
    Mine has a label on i from the ARDE at Fort Halstead in Kent, local-ish for a Peckham boy like me, and funnily enough where my grandad worked as a toolmaker - I wonder sometimes is his fingerprints are on it :)

Dave H. (the other one)

mtt.tr, phm87, Seadog and 2 others like this.
  3. spencer 427 Member

Nice ol lump. Almost identical to mine. Mine being slightly shorter

4. phm87 Member

Did you end up getting the B17 pressbrake1?

5. mtt.tr

mtt.tr Member

Essex England

i thought holbrooks had a small spindle bore, strange

6. pressbrake1

essex england
    They have hence I said silly spindle bore

spencer 427 likes this.
  7. mtt.tr

mtt.tr Member

Essex England
    i was just acknowledging your comment, not contradicting it. my bad

I should have said, that confirms by thoughts that they have a tiny spindle bore

8. spencer 427 Member

Yer. Fkn big heavy machine with a myford size spindle bore

Hopefuldave and pressbrake1 like this.
  9. Shox Dr

Shox Dr Chief Engineer to Carlos Fandango

Is the small spindle bore, because it wasn’t intended as a jobbing lathe. Ie, the pieces to be turned would have been cut the length, opposed to poking it through the headstock and lopping bits off.?

10. Hopefuldave Intergalactic pot-mender

Pretty much, yes - they were more or less dedicated toolroom lathes, a DSG will hog off material faster, but less accurately? Holbrook fitted as standard things like micrometer dead stops (with gauge trays like jig borers used) with trips that repeat within a tenth of a thou" on the power feeds, the quick-withdraw of the cross-slide repeats to less than a tenth (still, on my C13 that's older than I am), came standard with native collet set, immensely rigid. I've never seen a Holbrook made after WW1 with a gap bed, as that would reduce the rigidity! Most of the models had options like relieving slides and secondary gearboxes to run the cams for making TOOLS: taps, milling cutters etc., with matching spindle speed reducing attachments to give 1/8th speeds - down to 3 RPM or so for relieving. Very versatile kit.

Dave H. (the other one)

slim_boy_fat, phm87 and Shox Dr like this.
  11. pressbrake1

essex england
    Accurate is accurate.
    Sorry I’d take the dsg every day

12. Hopefuldave Intergalactic pot-mender

Eee.... But you're in Essex - Traitor! :scared:

I'd take the Holbrook, but something more recent than the B - like my Model C?
    I was well peed off that the last workplace wouldn't let me buy the H17 they expelled from the mech' workshop, I'd have made space for that...

Dave H. (the other one)

phm87 likes this.
  13. pressbrake1

essex england
    I nearly got a h20 but seller changed his mind. Bit of luck really as I offered big money

Hopefuldave likes this.
  14. spencer 427 Member

You lot wona be thankful for what ya got !!

Hopefuldave and slim_boy_fat like this.
  15. brnomauser Member

Haven’t got a whole lot done but been chipping away at a few things. Converted a grease gun to an oil gun and forced oil through the grease that had been pumped into all the oil ports. Dropped the oil out of the main and lead screw boxes. Cleaned the filter - it’s a funny style with heaps of very thin steel plates clamped together that you rotate every week. Wasn’t filthy but had quite a few what likes like paint chips. After a long chat with the Castrol helpline discussing the original oil spec (460s at 200*F redwood) and some penciled notes I Have some AWS 100 coming for it...

Been waiting to clean it til after I finished lubing/servicing.

Can anyone tell me what this knurled knob is? It will turn, but is stiff. It’s not not a filler cap like I thought, or at least not threaded... seems like some sort of adjustment?
    [​IMG][​IMG]

16. brnomauser Member

believe me - I’m thankful

17. Carl Wilson Member

With the experience I've had so far on my Harrison Mill, I agree with the final statement 100%.

Hopefuldave likes this.
  18. brnomauser Member

Turns out it was just the lid handle - once I got cleaning I found it was an incredibly nice fitting inspection hatch. Gave it a pretty bit scrubbing with degreaser, rags and wire brush.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now it’s got fresh oil, cooling system tested ok it’s almost ready to go. Just need to give the race ways a final polish and work the main spindle bearings out... I’m wondering what to do hear though - someone (I assume it’s not factory) has put grease caps on the bearings. I’m still not sure if they’re plain or roller/ball. I thought being a 720 rpm (not an 850 or 1200) it meant plain, and under the paint it kind of looks like it has main caps. But now I’ve found a hand drawn diagram in the papers I have showing am opposed ball bearing system. Either way, not sure whether to flush the caps out with oil in grease gun then convert to wick/reservoir oilers, or just pump more grease in. If all the other lube points weren’t full of grease I’d think it was legit, but as in general greasing isn’t good enough for most lathe oiling I don’t see how it’s good for the most important points in the machine. Still haven’t got a dial gauge but putting a 4’ bar in the spindle and giving it a wobble nets no apparent play so I don’t think any major harm has been done...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
  19. northwest

northwest Member

That is turning into a lovely bit of kit.

brnomauser likes this.
  20. Pete.

Pete. Member

Grease caps could be correct for those bearings. It'll run hot if they are over-greased though.

brnomauser likes this.
Advertisements