New 2018 Jeep Wrangler Chassis and Track Bar Welds

1. indy4x

indy4x Forum Supporter

I've had a dig at LR's more than once but certainly not anti LR, currently have 2 of the little darlings, both bought this year which brings the total up to 5 LR's I've owned

Not anti just pragmatic

2. indy4x

indy4x Forum Supporter

The current collection

D1

IMG_20180711_204016.jpg

D3

IMG_20180701_211937.jpg

MattH likes this.
  3. indy4x

indy4x Forum Supporter

Back on topic, if that was my Jeep it would be going back, how'd that get through QC

owas likes this.
  4. R-D-R Forum Supporter

Sounds like your doing all the right things I would push for your money back or a direct replacement with no additional cost to you.

FYI Land Rovers are no better, my current one had to go back at 2 months old for poor weld inside the B pillar, they ripped half the interior out to get it done - was a right mess. Its also had to go back for multiple rust issues!

ronan and BarrieJ like this.
  5. owas

owas Member

Only said it in jest, but it did make me get under and check the welds.
    Theyre all really good :cool:

Its amazing these are getting though QC,
    Id get the sack if i let something like this through our robot!

6. BarrieJ Member

My mates' 2016 Discovery is so happy being at the LR dealer, he knows if it's missing off the drive, the car's made its own way there.
    Latest is a failed key; fair wear and tear according to LR, £270 for a new one, I daresay some would say cheap but at least that includes reprogramming the replacement.

As to Brian Gilley's Wrangler, that's an excellent example of the complete failure of quality control and the accompanying cynicism of a company who obviously don't give a a toss about the longevity of their product or the safety of their customers, it needs international publicity and a lesson that Chrysler won't quickly forget.

Social media is quite a good route to disseminate unfavourable reviews.
    https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=jeep wrangler jl (2018+) owner's group

MattH likes this.
  7. R-D-R Forum Supporter

Mines a MY16 car one of the last ones and the build quality is terrible compared to our previous 2x discovery 4's and 2 x discovery 3s.~Mind you I say that but they all do like a trip to the dealers, D4 no1 had a new engine before its first birthday!

QC across all brands is hit and miss I think.

ronan likes this.
  8. HughF

HughF Member

Work: Dorchester, Workshop: Corfe Castle, Wife's place: Frome
    F-pace is supposed to be a badly screwed together heap of junk too...

9. ThunderHawk 32 New Member

Good morning. Was hoping to get some added opinions on this topic. We purchased a 2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JL at the end of July and were notified of the track bar bracket weld recall last week when our Jeep was in for service. Apparently notification has not gone out by mail yet. The attached pictures were sent to me by the dealership as what they were instructed to send to Fiat Chrysler to determine if the welds were good. I know nothing about welding. The email from the dealer appears to have gone to FCA customer care and the response to the dealer was one sentence “Upon further review of the welds, no further action is needed”. If they deemed there was a problem FCA would send welders to dealer. Dealers were instructed not to do anything but take pictures. As far as I know these are the only pictures used. Not sure if the problem is to one or more brackets, but can’t tell if these two pictures are for only 1 bracket. The picture with the 179 looks like the weld doesn’t overlap much of the bracket on left side? Could really use some guidance. Dealer, FCA and the company that manufactured the frame/weld are very non chalant.

• EBE136B4-1F11-4129-BA41-DC7180D80965.png
    • 568265BF-ADEA-4054-A056-95F29D0B7FEF.png
  10. HughF

HughF Member

Your welds look fine. If you compare them to the ones in the original post, yours do not suffer from porosity and as such do not require rework.

11. Seano

Seano Member

So, that's what welding looks like :scared:

12. Vaughan Thomas New Member

To be fair, I'm certain the QA/QC/Vision system would have picked up those awful welds but most likely a higher power said to let them through.
    Very poor.

bourbon likes this.
  13. eddie49 Member

The coppery-yellow colour - could this be MIG brazing with silicon bronze wire ?

14. HughF

HughF Member

No, those are silicone islands and a bit of rust underneath some black chassis paint

15. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

16. Kayos

Kayos Member

30k miles in my D2 last year, other than normal maintenance it needed a bit of body welding, a wheel bearing (I’d really class that as maintenance) and a steering box

Seems pretty reliable for a 16 year old car that gets used properly, loaded with gear and taken off road

17. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

Seems from the stats in the link you are one of the very few then as that is not the norm...

18. dannyp Member

A15F1DAD-5AFD-4C44-9C30-9F1029B31BE7.jpeg
    Ford Mustang. At least the weld seems manageable it not porous and the paint has stayed on it pritty it missed the joint. Again apparently not an isolated issue

19. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

Silicon islands that should be removed due to the silicon chipping and then rust pockets forming.

Still very poor standard of work.

I’ve done a lot of work on automotive wires for low silicon and high speed. Those welds are absolute carp compared to what we was achieving on a tractor, let alone a robot.

premmington likes this.
  20. Sean Another 602 fan

Edinburgh
    could post these pictures to Trump, and suggest this is why the Germans are doing so well when it comes to cars?
    :worms

LewisT, dcocks and premmington like this.
Advertisements