nasty acidents!!

1. chuk

chuk Member

After reading about a few eye acidents in another thread thought it would be a good idea to get a "nasty acidents" thread going so we can all tell of the time were young, niave, horney, and didnt wear the correct PPE.

Note im still young @ 23 and horney!!!:laughing: Anyway here's one of mine!!

Being a little younger than i am now (last year) i though i would be a good idea not to wear gloves when rounding off a mount for the buggy on the belt sander. (can you guess what happened) YUP YOU GOT IT! It pulled my hand in and took all the skin and nail off the first inch of my thumb. OUCH!!!!!!
    It wasnt too bad @ the time, i think adreniline took over i just bandaged it up and had a sit down for a few mins witha cupa.

THATS NOT THE WORST OF IT!!!

Im a brickie so dust and stuff kept getting under the bandage no matter how leccy tape i wraped around it so i decided what i needed was some "plastic skin" product from boots. Anyway i bought it and applied lots to my thumb. I never swar som much in my life and i nearly passed out it stung that much, they was no way of getting it off only to apply more to desolve it and rinse it under the tap.

OUCH!!!! DONT USE THAT EVIL STUFF IT STINGS!!!!
    Unfortunatly the picys are on my old phone so i cant gross you out.

chuk

2. Drains

Drains Yeah, nah.

PPE? never had that in the old days...
    Trips to the eye hospital.... plenty
    Near misses - thousands! I was a wood machinist for a while - anyone familiar with White blocks (spindle moulder, no locating pins in cutters). So easy to forget that final tighten on the cutter holding nut. Turn the machine on and a piece of high speed steel whacks past you and into the wall.

Wood lathe - an almost finished 4" dia pedestal exploded on me, hit me just below the eye, broke the strip light and left a hole in the wall. Bit of a bruise and a cup of tea.

In another life as a pyrotechnician, I was experimenting with making bangers, or maroons as we'd call them. I knocked up a real big'un, put in the fuse and went to light it. As it lit I realised I'd used 1ft per second fuse instead of 1 inch per sec, as intended (idiot). Threw it away fast and it went off about 2 feet away.

There but for the grace of God go I......

3. rtbcomp

rtbcomp Moderator Staff Member

I was bench testing a wiper motor and got my thumb caught in the bellcrank. It stalled the motor and because of the worm gear I couldn't force the crank back off my thumb. I eventually bent the crank and got my thumb out. A mate who told me to drill the nail to let the blood out, NO CHANCE.

I lost the nail and it still hurts 2 years later when I clip it, it seems a lot tougher too. Holding a pen to write makes me feel sick (especially if I'm writing a cheque)

4. I used to know an old boy who lit his fag off welding rods before health and safety spoiled the party, iv had crushed fingers, endless eye problems, and nearly lost my thumb by falling against the workshop window, a few hours surgeory later they stiched the tendons back together and as good as new, the one that sticks in my mind was when loading a new spool of wire into the drive unit, on the big machine its got a 4x4 roller system with a motor the size of a breeze block and fast load button, without thinking i pulled the wire across hit the button with my finger still against the roller, it grabed pulled my finger in through the first set of rollers and half into the second set jaming it flat and leaveing me traped in the drive, after trying to pull my finger out for about ten minutes with no luck, i decided there was one thing for it hit the button again and feed it out through the second set of rollers, I now have the side missing from my ring finger,

One of the reps came around last week and was walking like, john wayne he then told me he had been gardening at the weekend he was pulling out some euphorbia then used the "gents" that evening a certain part of his body swelled to the size of his arm, when he went to the doctors they examined him in great detail untel in his words he was crying like a baby, AHHHHHHHHH

5. Unclefista

Unclefista Member

Bradford UK
    At my old place of work, I once found some externally threaded tube which screwed in perfectly to the end of my airline/blowgun.
    I found a few lengths of thin brass bar that fit the tube prefectly and dropped it into the tube and screwed it in, I then aimed at a workmate and pulled the trigger, luckily I missed, but it went straight through 2 wooden doors and was never found again ;) It worked MUCH better than I expected, but would obviously have maimed/killed him :)

Maker likes this.
  6. chuk

chuk Member

Scarey!!!!!!

7. Welderpaul

Welderpaul Moderator Staff Member

The latest one:
    Large 80mm box section gate, stood on hefty stands and leant against the bench to bring up to the optimum height for welding. Didn't bother tacking it to the stand cos i only had a few welds to finish, head in mask, happily welding away, then i thought me world had fallen apart: gate slid forward off the stands, trapped me by both shins. skinned me legs from knee to ankle. swore profusely, couldnt walk properly for days. Lesson learnt...for now.

8. MrFluffy Member

Working in a (dodgy) bike shop, we're moving bikes round in the showroom, and we had some homebrew display stands that you have to hoik the bike in the air onto. They were really stable up there, but a bugger to lift on/off...
    Anyway, theres a really pretty V&H tuned Fzr400 with fresh paint the lot in the window on a set, and someone comes in and buys it, so it has to be lifted off by hand uber carefully as its sold. I stood back and watched the other two animals grab the front and rear wheels, then a 3rd helper grabs the swingarm to assist. Animal2who's holding the back wheel has to put the bike down there and then, and somehow swingarm helpers's finger gets into the rear sprocket area instead of the swingarm. The wheel catches the rear of the stand first and rolls the chain round on the front sprocket and drags his fingers in.
    We gingerly lifted the rear of the bike and roll his finger back out. The sprocket has forced a tooth through the finger and out the other side, somehow managing to not crush the bone...

Another occasion someone threw a exaust heatshield at me off a C90 stepthru (theyre this hockey stick shaped bit of tin) and I ducked (we had a ... active working environment on friday afternoons). However it boomeranged due to shape and stabbed one of the other mechanics in the neck just behind his ear, opening up a artery and starts to bleed profusely. Quick trip to hospital in boss's van, only to be classified as non emergency by triage. 6 hrs later they gave up and came away with a blood soaked bandage wrapped round his head..

And finally, welding up the panels on a moggy van into one lump with a oxy/acet setup in a little outhouse. My brother watching from outside keeps tapping me on the shoulder and breaking my concentration, Ive got my noise on the job almost Im so concentrating on making a neat job. "WHAT?" I ask him and he mutters something, so turns back and carrys on. Taps me again "WHAT!" more agitated this time. mumbles again so back to it now severely annoyed. Then he taps me again, so I turn off the torch in preparation for chasing him round the garden in temper and wheel round, only to hear this woof noise. he says (quite clearly this time) "YOUR HAIRS ON FIRE"... Run out of shed in panic wearing a big yellow flame on head and pass a very alarmed parent and pad hair fire out...

9. chuk

chuk Member

Talking of things sliding off. about a month ago a roll on roll off skip full of hardcore weighing about 18ton got have way on to the lorry to about 45 degrees in the air almost on the lorry bed slipped off rolled into a corner of wall! i thought the building was gona come down feck knows how it didnt,If id built particular shop i would have been proub that day!! It must have been a 13" wall no way it could of held that if it were less.

DAM we would have been in the poo. It happened so quick it could have been very nasty for someone. I still think about that, i know i would never stand behinde one in that situation but there have been times where that could have easily kill us and/or bought a building down.

chuk

10. Hitch

Hitch Moderator Staff Member

Somerset
    Helping out a mate doing a barn conversion, knocked down a load of reinforced concrete, cut off the mesh about 2" off the ground.... a short while later i stood on it, and it went straight through my sole, and into my foot. Bleeding like hell, stopped took my boot off, tied my sock around it nice and tight then carried on workjing for a few more hours. Took quite a while to heal up properly.

One of the lads was replacing a 5th wheel plate on a trailer, tacked a lug to the new plate to crane it up into place. The stitch broke and the piece of 15mm plate about 1250mm square fell across his foot. He passed out.

"Mark, get an ambulance" In panic, he ran to the phone and forgot what number to dial!!! Then by the time they arrived, he had come back round but laid half underneath with his bad foot stuck out....In come the paramedic, pushing his trolley......
    STRAIGHT INTO HIS FOOT!!!:eyepatch: :eyepatch:

Another one that thankfully i didnt witness but a workmate saw it at a place he worked, a lathe opperator (VERY large lathe) reached over the lathe to adjust a radio and he got dragged in. Apparently the majority of him was cleaned up with the aid of a shovel and a bottle of whisky.

Be sensible people!!

11. SC_BK teuchter

Highlands
    Once I was burning some rubbish, I went in close to it to poke it about a bit. Didn't realise there was an aerosol agmonst it, blew off less than a metre from my face :eyepatch:

Deafend myself for a few hours and it also threw some molten plastic onto my face :rolleyes: :laughing:

Also we once nearly dropped a tree onto a live power line....:artist:

12. chuk

chuk Member

Ok last 1 from me (as you can probley tell construction industry= dangerous)
    Hewden came to collect a dumper off the job as he driving up on to the the waggon the skid slips!! 5ton dumper rolls over and traps him luckily the cage saved him by making contact with the ground first while one wheel was on the back of the truck he was only traped a little bit not by the full weight.

I shat myself i didnt want to look @first but me and anova brickie ran an eased it up with our super human strength :-) so he could get out.

chuk

13. Drains

Drains Yeah, nah.

Ah, fantastic thread. I hope all you people who work in banks are paying attention!

I forgot a recent lovely.

First fix carpentry on strange geodesic dome lecture theatre in hardknock London school (why?), nailing one piece of timber onto another, holding in place with left hand, nail gun in right. Pull trigger, nail through both pieces of timber and 10mm or so remaining for left middle finger, which was sandwiched up by another piece of timber, so unremovable. "Alan, can you get a crowbar, quick?" Ow. (There's still a teeny tiny scar 3 years later)

14. Ratty

Ratty Putting the She in Sheds

Pyromaniac I'd say - just like my dear friend P, used to be a tree surgeon before he grew up and if you ask me all tree surgeons are mad as a box of toys. Also into boats and when he had an out of date flare he wisely :rolleyes: decided the best thing to do was set it off in the garden with some mates. Duly poked into a milk bottle (or something similar) and fuse lit. Bottle falls over pointing in P's direction, P runs like mad and dodges around the side of the house whereupon mates hear screaming. They run after him to find him rolling on the ground, of course they cracked up laughing until eventually - when the screaming didn't stop - it was discovered he had run into his saw-bench and knocked his knee-cap around to the back of his knee.

Same man...thrashing around his wood with a chainsaw to cut some poles for my dog run (trained tree surgeon may I remind you..probably thought safety gear was for girls), came out limping and rather white...bit of a cut says he. I hauled him back to the house and made him remove his shredded jeans, only then did he nearly pass out at the sight of his very own flesh and blood oozing from a gaping 6" wound in his thigh. Still refused to see anyone though - at least not while I was there, he may have staggered off to A&E later. Box of toys have nothing on him.

As for me, nothing spectacular - apart from stabbing myself in the heart - only the usual nearly slicing off a finger with a chisel..then some years later the same finger with a stanley knife so I now have two 3/4" scars that meet at one end, only one more and I'll have a complete triangle (stupid thing is I knew both times I was asking for it...just one more cut then I'll be sensible...)...umm what else..formaldehyde sprayed in my eyes from a syringe parting company with the needle whilst injecting, plunging a 10a scalpel blade in my palm whilst foolishly trying to grab it when I dropped it - the handle hit my thigh and my hand went straight onto the blade...pulling it out was the worst bit.

One previous tenant's hopeless assistant (furniture w/s next door) came dripping blood to our door one day having run two of his fingers through the circular saw while his boss was out. We called an ambulance and as the stretcher bearers (no really - he passed out completely) came through our woodwork shop following his trail of blood to the house, one of them saw our completely innocent but ancient and guard-less saw bench, said in outraged voice.."Is THAT the offending tool?". I was mortified (but I've still got my finger tips so not too upset!:laughing: ) He gave up woodworking and the last I heard was selling used cars. Good job.

15. Hitch

Hitch Moderator Staff Member

Somerset
    Talking of dumpers, mate borrowed one to do a job, and it had no roll bar. Rolled over and squished his leg. Luckily, hes still got it and it works, but its a bit of a mess to look at!!

His brother, fell off the edge of a incomplete block and beam floor, broke both his legs and an arm. Bones came out the bottom of his leg and got infected. Eevntually they cut out the infected bone and rejoined it, then cut it again and put his leg in a cage to stretch it back to the correct length.

Their dad, his cement mixer ran out of petrol with a full load. Filled it up and started it going, but the belt was slipping, so what did he do? Grab hold of the belt and pull it round, very nearly took the top of his finger off. He wanted to cut it right off with his penknife and carry on working!!

16. SC_BK teuchter

Highlands

Trained tree surgeon?! Doubt it if he was wearing jeans! That's like sparking up a weld whilst wearing a petrol soaked boilersuit - suicidal

17. shepsy Member

many years ago, working in a body shop, a boat turned up for a paint job, being a young nosey yts had a look in the boat and found a rocket flare
    me and a m8 decide to go out back and set it off
    now we end up fighting who's going to let it off, so were in a tug of war and the bloody thing go`s off. the trouble was i had the wrong end
    my left hand contorts round the set off flare instantly, no matter how much i shake i cant get rid of it not for a good thirty seconds or more

cant describe the pain, went to hospital with a hand the size of a football
    first they think I'm going to lose my hand, then put it in a bag with cream and kept in hospital for 3 weeks, luckily it started to heal and after three weeks they cut off all the blisters and dead flesh.
    took over two years to sort it out properly

oh and i got the sack

sheps

18. Drains

Drains Yeah, nah.

Well you wern't going to be much use were you? lol

si

19. daf45

daf45 Member

Had a bonfire after my last annual gardening effort, but put a bit too much petrol on to get it going... Two nights in hospital with 6 or 8 % burns.
    I drove to the hospital with a wet tea towel on my head but they saw to me straight away when I got there (face still bubbling).

Only welding related one so far was the nasty burns I got from the arc when first learning without gloves... Sounds stupid now I know but I ignored the feeling of warmth thinking it'll be OK as long as I don't grab the hot metal. Back of my left hand was sore for about 2 weeks. Be careful and take the warnings seriously!

20. shepsy Member

er good point :laughing:

sheps

Advertisements