Narrowboat welding

1. Wozzaaah

Wozzaaah The wizard of woz Staff Member

Wiltshire, UK
    I’m not familiar with that brand but Parweld is a well-known name.
    You’ll still need to make sure your generator is up to it though, using one that’s not suitable could be a costly mistake.

2. transit01 New Member

Sorted. Taken your advice and bought that one plus the necessary PPE and 3.2mm rods and all for around £265.
    So tomorrow I'll be welding
    Slightly apprehensive about standing in a steel box that's floating on water and chucking lots of electricity about but nothing ventured...
    Worst case scenario is I get to have a Viking funeral lol

slim_boy_fat and Rig Pig like this.
  3. awemawson Forum Supporter

At least you known that the hull should be fairly well earthed by nice filthy conductive canal water ! (pure water is an insulator). Just make sure that your welder earth return is firmly bolted to the structure.

:sheep::sheep::sheep:

Hopefuldave likes this.
  4. Ashley Burton

Ashley Burton Member

I would definitely consider a Parweld Inverter Arc machine if your on a tight budget

5. Wozzaaah

Wozzaaah The wizard of woz Staff Member

Wiltshire, UK
    You said you only have a 2.2kw generator?
    I don’t think that’s anywhere near big enough to run a welder.

6. jimbo84 Forum Supporter

Agree, pretty sure 2.2kw won’t run it. My 4.5kva practically stalls on start up of an inverter on about 80 amps and anything over 85amps on my oxford ac trips the genny breaker.

7. jerrytug

jerrytug Forum Supporter

2.2 kw wouldn't run 3.2 milly rods anyway, genny or mains. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you need a MUCH bigger generator, or a petrol powerd welder would be ideal. They are easy to sell after your job is finished, so you will get your money back anyway.

Are you so very far from mains power, in MK? Try asking the nearest farmer or cottage if you can come to an arrangement to run a nice fat extension lead? They can only say no. Keep your little generator for the angle grinders, music and kettle ;)

Dcal likes this.
  8. frank horton

frank horton V twins are great but 4"s rule.........

I’d be getting a weld gen set. Forget Mig
    Apart from setting the inside alight u’ll struggle to get the metal clean enough to mig weld anyway....
    U’ll need somebody inside when u get cutting and welding
    Good luck

Advertisements