My Wolf Dakota 90L 14cfm 3hp compressor and dryer setup

1. Lazurus

Lazurus Member

I did a similar revamp to my compressor recently but also added a precooled , basically used a generic oil cooler and AN10 hose and fittings put between pump outlet and main tank and situated so the air flow from the motor cools the rad...... huge difference in temperature between the inlet and outlet on the cooler and far less water in the tank.

Pilzy and optima21 like this.
  2. dai

dai welsh and proud

Check the pressure rating on plastic!!

Badger1bear likes this.
  3. indy4x

indy4x Forum Supporter

I have already, thanks for the reminder tho :thumbup:

4. Pilzy

Pilzy Member

Liking the idea of that. Just need to throw down a base, build the garage and move my 150litre ABAC from the shed, plumb in some 20mm copper pipe and THEN add a pre-cooler.

Living the dream...... would just love to be living the reality!!!

Lazurus and slim_boy_fat like this.
  5. indy4x

indy4x Forum Supporter

After some buying of bits n pieces and a few evenings work I now have my setup nearly finished.

Did it in plastic with push fittings, 16mm pipe for most of it with 1/2" BSP fittings

Box of bits

IMG_20190326_210122.jpg

Took the bung off the end of the compressor tank which was conveniently 1/2" BSP and fitted an elbow, tap and big PCL coupling

IMG_20190408_205051.jpg

16mm plastic pipe to the water dessicant thingy and off to the regulator and hose reel for general air tool stuff plus T off to separate filter for plasma cutter

IMG_20190408_205128.jpg

Have also ran a 12mm plastic pipe to the workshop extension so I can have air by the lathe and mill

IMG_20190408_205149.jpg

Still need to sort out the dessicant pot, have a brass? filter and am going to machine up a housing for it to stop the dessicant getting blown into the airline

• IMG_20190406_223751.jpg
    Farside and optima21 like this.
  6. indy4x

indy4x Forum Supporter

Ah, not sure what happened there, last pic is of my el cheapo plastic pipe cutter which broke, local Screwfix had a Rothenberg in stock

Yeah I know, buy cheap buy twice but in my defence I originally purchased it to do the airlines on P38 Range Rover so it has done some work, guessing the 16mm stuff was a bit too much for it

7. indy4x

indy4x Forum Supporter

Quick update on how my setup is working out. Still not done the dessicant bit yet but have been using the compressor air tools and plasma cutting. Happy with it performance especially with the plasma cutter. The reduction in dross on plasma cuts is significant. The grey filter unit at the bottom of the picture came from R-Tech and seems to perform really well.

IMG_20190408_205128.jpg

optima21 and chris pruteanu like this.
  8. chris pruteanu Member

Looks good, time will tell if it will last ! What pressure your compressor is ratted at ? Cheers !

9. indy4x

indy4x Forum Supporter

Compressor shuts off at 120PSI, all fixtures and fittings are rated higher than this

10. brightspark

brightspark Member

wind up reels aren't very good as they collect water in the bottom of the coils not to bad if you pull it all out and keep it strait

11. indy4x

indy4x Forum Supporter

That's a very good point, am hoping once the primary water trap is built and the dessicant dryer finished that water wound be too much of a problem. There is also a water trap in the regulator.

But saying that, I don't have a water problem ATM, have a dehumidifier in the garage

For plasma cutting I don't use the wind up reel, separate air line goes into the grey filter

brightspark likes this.
Advertisements