My Saturday night entertainment....

1. Myles1970

Myles1970 Member

So, thanks to this forum, I've gotten my Clarke 1160te up and running for about €200 including refillable gas bottle. After sedating the kids with pizza and chips I finally got a chance to use it...... IMG_20190818_010328.jpg
    ....I started at the bottom end, ran 4 beads and turned it around to try getting a straighter line.
    IMG_20190818_010352.jpg
    As you can see from the flip side, I wasn't getting much penetration (ooh matron!) on the first 4 passes, but seem to have corrected that afterwards.
    Power was set to 3 min.... Where I burned through I was trying 3 max, so I pulled back on the power. Still, I'd say the middle 6 were probably on the same settings.

The point is, I'm after criticism and direction. I know it's early days, and I feel I have a lot to learn as regards watching the puddle, listening etc.

Btw, it's on 2mm steel plate, cleaned the top side off with a flap disk.

Anyway, thanks again

Yamhon likes this.
  2. Yamhon Member

To help with straight lines; try running a french chalk or pencil line down with a ruller/square and then try following that line when you're running your beads.

Myles1970 likes this.
  3. Myles1970

Myles1970 Member

Yes I must try that.... The only thing is, I'm holding the torch in my right hand, as if I was writing, and dragging the wire along, which means I can't really see where I'm going...

4. Wonderweaver

Wonderweaver Member

Try keeping you head in front of the torch like looking down and backwards.

Myles1970 likes this.
  5. addjunkie

addjunkie Member

Push the torch, with your head infront, steady torch with your spare hand too

slim_boy_fat, Myles1970 and Wallace like this.
  6. Wallace

Wallace Member

Pretty good for a first attempt. Being close to the edge will have added to the blow through as the heat builds up quickly. As mentioned by addjunkie, to get better control, steady the torch with your other hand as in the photo from the Mig tutorial. That is assuming you don’t have a handheld mask!

upload_2019-8-18_8-30-55.jpeg

Parm, Myles1970 and Yamhon like this.
  7. Yamhon Member

If you don't already use one, I'd consider using a respirator; in case you find yourself leaning over your work trying to see what you're doing, you might inadvertently put yourself in a position to take in much of the fumes given off from the materials and process. Doesn't have to be air-fed or expensive just something that will filter out particulates and metal vapors, etc.

Myles1970 likes this.
  8. Myles1970

Myles1970 Member

Ah Wallace, that photo has given me something to think about.... He's holding the torch in his left hand ...
    .... I'll have to experiment a bit thanks for the words of encouragement

And yep I've been using a respirator type mask.... When I remember to stick it on. I keep the window open next the bench too...

Cheers guys

Yamhon likes this.
  9. Myles1970

Myles1970 Member

I guess going right to left instead would have the same effect... I'd be able to see where I'm going so to speak...

10. Wonderweaver

Wonderweaver Member

All you have to do is keep sight of the puddle remain steady but fluid if that makes sense and repeat what works.

Myles1970 and Yamhon like this.
Advertisements