My bodged 69 Vw Bay

1. monky harris Member

Good work..
    It's nice to work on the chassis nice thick steel...

2. clarkey31 Member

looking good i have done more than my share of these had a bay with 3 rear corner over the top of each other a couple of years ago

3. ajpepe72 Member

3 !! Christ, well I’ve got both rear arches panels welded over top, lower rear corners and the front crossmember all welded over top, I mean I’m no expert but surely it can’t take much more effort to do properly, especially when you take the amount of filler on side panels into consideration.

4. mechman Member

5. Nice work. I also have a soft spot for these buses, mines a 73 crossover that had the low lights and the high lights fitted, probably due to someone fitting a late upper panel years ago but not removing the upper indicators. Not put a torch near mine in a few years now but once my new garage is done in the next year I'll be able to get stuck in without fear of ruining my bikes with weld and grinding spatter.

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/threads/gertie-the-73-vw-t2-bay-window.38835/

6. ajpepe72 Member

I did see that thread but none of the photos are showing due to the fact that photobucket are massive dicks !

7. ajpepe72 Member

Just had look on pc, fair play,some work gone into that, I’m hoping when I get mine on it’s side it’s not that bad.. but at least I know where to come for advise if it is ;)

See you have a t5 as well, I’ve got a t4 camper so like you this is just a project toy.

Exuptoy likes this.
  8. Cheers bud, every once in a while after looking at the work I've done I get quite enthused.....it usually wears off quite quickly. Haha. :)

9. ajpepe72 Member

Yep I know that feeling, I bought this bus on a whim in August 2016, took it to Garage I rent and started ripping it apart, but a four and two year old seem to sap all my time.
    Recently cleared the garage out at home so bought it home so I can nip out to Garage and do bits whenever I get the urge or kids get on my nerves

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  10. That's cool. My 98 R1 is up for sale now and when the garage base is finished I'll have the opportunity to park the 675 up on a hard standing behind some large secure gates so that means I can at least do some more work on it this year.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  11. ajpepe72 Member

That’s what this is going to be like I think, time/motivation dependant, want to do it justice so won’t be a quick project plus it’s all new to me.
    I built my t4 myself from just a van but a rusty old bay older than me is another ball game !

slim_boy_fat and Exuptoy like this.
  12. Olderisbetter

Olderisbetter Forum Supporter

I like the patina look, But all the old work and bodged repair work has got to be done so fair play to you for taking it on, Its hard with kids but just think of all the fun you can have after, Is it going to be a day bus or camper?

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  13. ajpepe72 Member

It’s just going to be a Day van type of set up, I had a Bay when I was 18 and always wanted to have a go at restoring one.

My t4 is a full camper so the bay will be just a bit of fun, I’ve built the t4 from a panel van to camper, did everything apart from elevating roof myself, custom bodywork, Paint,built units from scratch but this Bay will be a whole new set of skills to learn !
    My T4:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

dazza, Olderisbetter and slim_boy_fat like this.
  14. Olderisbetter

Olderisbetter Forum Supporter

I have been looking around for a T4 to use as a every day driver and also a day van. I need a bit of extra room so i want a long wheel base with barn doors, I think i am going up the caravelle type root.

Exuptoy likes this.
  15. Stunning van Pepe.

Here's mine now.
    IMG_5968.JPG IMG_5969.JPG IMG_5970.JPG IMG_5972.JPG

16. ajpepe72 Member

Long wheelbase t4 caravelles fetch strong money as they are the ideal base to convert but it’s all relative, although it may cost a fair whack to buy one they hold their value well and have definitely risen in price from when I bought mine in 2008.

Exuptoy, nice van, definitely nicer to drive the t5’s but I’ve got a special place in my heart for T4’s.

Exuptoy likes this.
  17. Saw a T4 camper advertised locally today for £11k. Mine is probably only worth £13-14k!

ajpepe72 and Olderisbetter like this.
Advertisements