My bodged 69 Vw Bay

1. ajpepe72 Member

688B8E18-F782-4488-A422-FF04512B63A6.jpeg 1B042701-5DA9-4010-9549-B738A9DA0F4E.jpeg 05541715-A508-4635-A27D-78E688EEDD1A.jpeg ADE26143-37A2-4AF6-9786-3F44C442AA37.jpeg A773923C-5EDA-4AE2-A953-CD522DE35D2D.jpeg D7988278-E0B8-42B2-A35B-5003CB37BB23.jpeg Bought this last year, uncovered the bodges and cut loads out, working on my back is not for me though so making a rottiserie for it.

jpmillermatic, andy_v, dazza and 8 others like this.
  2. Ashley Burton

Ashley Burton Member

3. zx9

zx9 Member

Flipping heck, I thought my Rangie had a lot of filler but it was just a skim in comparison :) Good luck and keep the pictures coming.

4. garethp Forum Supporter

sw scotland
    I feel your pain although mine doesn't look quite as bad, more like 80% ;)

Patches that were only painted on the side that could be seen, then patched again as they rotted through, by the time I got it the patches on the patches had rotted...

I think you might have also beaten me on the amount of filler - 6mm clagged on the A pillars / front deformation panel / arch step area.

5. ajpepe72 Member

Front panel and chassis are really good.
    Got sills and both rear sides/corners and roof to do.
    Won’t be a quick project by any means, the plan is to turn it back into a panel van and slam it on its arse.

Olderisbetter likes this.
  6. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

:o Was the previous owner a major shareholder in 'Rivets R Us' ?

Ashley Burton likes this.
  7. ajpepe72 Member

I wish he was, wouldn’t have all his crap 1 inch welds halfway up the rear panel running the full length to contend with then.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  8. monky harris Member

Schofields in glossop do good repair panels...:thumbup:

Here's my 72..

image.jpeg

A wile ago it's had a bit done since then...

Exuptoy, andy_v, garethp and 3 others like this.
  9. ajpepe72 Member

Yeah, I’ve already spent about £600 with schofields, not much for them they don’t do.
    Unfortunately the pleasure of owning a rhd uk Bay is offset with the amount work they need !

garethp likes this.
  10. HopefullySoon

HopefullySoon Member

I love watching Splitty's and T2's being restored .

I was looking to buy one before i bought my MG but decided against it on a couple of fronts ... 1 i couldnt fit it into my garage so that would make it an outdoor resto (im getting old and weather protection is good lol ) , and 2 I couldnt justify to the mrs (myself im convinced) that 7k on a splitty wreck from Brazil was a good investment !

looking forward to watching this progress ...

Malc

Burdekin likes this.
  11. rcx132

rcx132 Philip

Keep the photos coming.

12. ajpepe72 Member

Here’s a little repair I did on the rear corner, where the bulge/swage had rotted out.
    This is my first ever bit of proper fabrication and tried my best to replicate bulge but don’t actually have any forming tools so rounded it over on a hammer shaft, then welded the return edge on after

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jpmillermatic, decca, nickk and 6 others like this.
  13. Mark E Making it harder than it needs to be.

God I love seeing shiny pieces of metal where once there was rot.

Happy New Year!

14. ajpepe72 Member

The other side is worse and the d pillar looks a bit ropey on this side so think it will be a case of removing this whole corner when the time comes, that will be after I’ve managed to roll the shell and get the underside tip top though.
    [​IMG]

15. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

Love em, real funky vehicles. Obviously the big thing with them are the big flatish sides, you see so many bodged which is a shame as they look horrendous bodged but glorious when done right.

16. wookie Member

It can't be the bus a guy I used to work with restored as his was a splitter lefty but the quality of the "repairs" is the same, tack a bit on tin sheet on, tons of the filler, then wack a coat of paint on and sell it quick before the rust reappeared, he also did a early beetle in the same way.

Someone is gonna be happy when I die as they'll get some old vehicles that have been restored properly rather than the bodge+filler vehicles that I bought.

slim_boy_fat and Burdekin like this.
  17. monky harris Member

Have a look on "the late bay" (tlb)forum ,
    some great restos and info on there...:thumbup:

Burdekin likes this.
  18. ajpepe72 Member

I’m on early Bay.com but will look on late Bay

19. ajpepe72 Member

Chassis is mostly really good, small section needed replacing where it’s closed by front jacking point, and inside of leg has a badly tacked on patch that I’ll cut out and do properly, but from the underseal I’ve removed from rest of chassis it’s looking pretty good.
    Once it’s turned on it’s side I can tackle it better.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. monky harris Member

It's similar ..
    but busier and full of banter...:laughing:

Advertisements