Moving stuff in a small workshop

1. mrsbruce

mrsbruce Forum Supporter

Todays adventure trying to move the milling machine onto its stand has made me realise that I’m not quite as young (and fit) as I was. I hate asking for help from my neighbours, who are more than willing to give a hand, but I do like my independence.

My answer is to get one of the following. A cheap engine hoist, although I really don’t have much space in my small hut, it might work, and I could move heavy stuff like toolboxes between the huts.

Or this motorbike stand. It may not be high enough to take things on and off a workbench, but could be useful for shuffling stuff about.

Anyone have any thoughts for us poor weak wimmen.:hug:

• 7468059B-4CEB-4B84-909C-7AEB11D775F2.png
    8ob and Yamhon like this.
  2. Yamhon

Yamhon Member

Something like this might be useful.

3. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Let them help, the job'll be done pdq and they'll get a warm glow of satisfaction ;).

I used to be like you, but I've learned that sometimes we all need a bit of a lift etc with something. Remember what goes around, comes around and I'm sure you'd be willing to help someone should the need/opportunity arise. :thumbup:

Parm, magnet, Yamhon and 2 others like this.
  4. mrsbruce

mrsbruce Forum Supporter

Sadly, my hut is teeny tiny, and I don’t think a gantry would fit (see attached image).

• 4C7761A1-0737-4129-A5B2-638B33B8FBA8.jpeg
    jerrytug, jenki, Yamhon and 1 other person like this.
  5. slim_boy_fat

I like that welding table! :thumbup:

6. colnerov

colnerov Member

Hi, Someone on here (I think it was @CompoSimmonite) bought a pallet truck and it went up to bench height when most don't. It might be worth a look for because they're easier to move things around.

Colin

bigegg and Yamhon like this.
  7. Carl Wilson Member

I have a folding engine crane that can lift 2 tonnes. Being folding it takes up less space when not in use. That said, it is still quite unwieldy and takes a bit of work to get set up.

It normally lives in my shed, not my workshop. However, it is currently folded and stowed in the shop as I am using it a lot during my ongoing mill restoration. I've cargo strapped it to my compressor so that it takes up the least amount of room possible.

My shop is slightly larger than a standard garage. When the crane is set up it takes up quite a lot of floor space. It is necessary to organise the crane moves carefully to ensure that once something has been lifted I can get it where I want it.

I have got a pallet truck too that has earned it's wages over the years.

It certainly isn't easy lifting and manoeuvring heavy equipment in a confined space. With care, careful planning and the right gear it can be done.

Yamhon likes this.
  8. awemawson Forum Supporter

I use a pump up trolley like that to put thick steel plates onto the bed of my plasma table. It's a god send, but I modified it so that all four castors swivel otherwise it's no use in tight corners.

Yamhon likes this.
  9. gaz1

gaz1 Member

with dealing with beams an engine lift is more usefull than you may think as you get older

can lift loads of things with them

Yamhon likes this.
  10. sako243

sako243 Member

Not for the same category but I've done four engine swaps on Land Rover's using a variety of methods.
    1. Dad's 3.5 tonne digger;
    2. Snatch block off a roof beam and another Land Rover's winch;
    3. Engine crane at @8ob's;
    4. Chain hoist off a roof beam.
    Of the four my preference was 4, 2, 3, 1. The chain hoist was the best by a long way the most controllable but probably more difficult to fit into your scenario.

8ob and Cobbler like this.
  11. slim_boy_fat

@mrsbruce If you buy any of these 'artificial aids' :whistle:, you'll then have the problem of storage when it's not actually in use - and from what you say, space is already at a premium. ;)

Parm likes this.
  12. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Forum Supporter

Good thing about my chain hoist. Takes up no room and can move it anywhere it's needed.

Yamhon likes this.
  13. gaz1

gaz1 Member

small yet home made

one thing i will say smaller can be better just make the wheel base wider so it can be spun around on the crane side of it

advantage less chance of tipping over compared to the engine lifts

jerrytug, 8ob and Yamhon like this.
  14. mrsbruce

mrsbruce Forum Supporter

Now, I had been looking at that mobile lifting crane, with the idea of fitting it to a decent base with big castors/wheels. After all, when I say ‘heavy’, the chances are it would be never, ever be more than 250kg absolute tops, probably way less.

Yamhon likes this.
  15. Maker

Maker nEw mEmBeR

They had a tidy little crane on a cart on NYC-CNC, might be ideal though I don't think it was cheap. DIY version perhaps?

Yamhon likes this.
  16. wyn

wyn Member

I wonder if the knot holding his two ratchet straps together is also CE certified.

I don't think they really thought that through as an advertising video.

He's talking Kilos but the crane seems to be marked in Lb's.

17. 8ob

8ob Forum Supporter

For many years I used a hydraulic pallet truck for just about all my lifting needs including engine swaps.

[​IMG]

Maker and Yamhon like this.
  18. addjunkie

addjunkie Member

I fluctuate between, digger, engine hoist, tractor loader, but have also used 2 acro jacks under a beam, chain block, in the past to swap out a 90 hp outboard, it was the old mans garage, and he was out!

I find with extra weight on the back of the engine hoist, and a slight extension it is farm more use full.

Parm likes this.
  19. magnet

magnet Member

N E UK
    Yamhon likes this.
  20. Arc Tourist

Arc Tourist Member

The size of wheels is an often overlooked important consideration when moving heavy items, especially if traveling over uneven or other than solid ground.

rtcosic, Yamhon and gaz1 like this.
Advertisements