Moving a Bridgeport

1. Mr Fro

Mr Fro Member

A reasonable looking Bridgeport has popped up a couple of hundred miles away and I'm trying to figure the best way of moving it.

I'm half tempted to rent a trailer and have a crack on my own but I think it might be too much for me (sadly).

I shifted a few hundred kg lathe with an engine hoist and a transit which was hassle enough and I think arranging all the gear would be a huge headache or am I wrong?

I gather they are around 1000kg, 2.2m high, and 1.3m wide and deep. Does that sound about right?

Does anyone know whether it would be safe to transport it with the head at 90 degrees or is this likely to knack something? Also, does anyone know the height of it with the head tilted over?

Cheers,
    Fro

2. Munkul Member

Cumbria, UK
    We moved my uncles with a telehandler. Was definitely more than 1 ton.
    Slung it around the head ram front and back, was pretty stable. Sat it on my flatbed and strapped it upright. Was bang on.

I don't see what would be wrong with leaving the head in 90 degree working position. It has to be strong enough to take milling cuts...

3. mtt.tr

mtt.tr Member

Essex England
    Proper way to lift them is under the knee dovetail with a second sling the balance the head.

Personally if you can take the head off makes it far safer

Once unloaded with head off you roll it on rollers.

I very quickly built the gantry just so i could get it of a plant trailer, breaks down and will fit inside a trailer.
    IMG_20200510_105651_4.jpg

I did the beam calcs and measured the beam deflection, the beaver does weigh its advertised 1.2ton Bridgeport's are a little lighter

4. Mr Fro

Mr Fro Member

A telehandler would be nice! I don't have one though...

I don't think the vendor will give me time to break it down (unless it can be done relatively quickly) so it'll probably have to go as a whole.

5. Munkul Member

Cumbria, UK
    Is there a nearby farmer with a telehandler or someone with a forklift truck? Just would make everyone's life easier if so.

6. James1979 Member

Plant trailer is the best if you can get one. I have my BFW (1800kg) currently sat on a pallet truck which I moved it out of the old workshop on. What I did was.....

Jack the mill up about 8 inches on blocks with a toe jack
    slide 2 half sleepers underneath exactly the widht of the trailer bed.
    lower mill onto sleepers, coach screw to sleepers
    ratchet straps from sleepers to top of head; around knee etc in 4 places.
    move whole thing with pallet truck onto plant trailer. Further offcut of sleeper stops it sliding forward. Whole thing was ratcheted down but even so.

Basically make a pallet for it to sit on is the point of this waffle!

Did a lot of miles like that, and 2 ferries. Moved it again into this workshop recently. Moving anythign LOW and SLOW is the way forward

slim_boy_fat and fizzy like this.
  7. Hopefuldave Intergalactic pot-mender

Moved my lathe and mill on my own, both are 2 tons+ - plant trailer with hand winch and sturdy rear ramp hired for about £35 a day, Hilux hired for not a lot more, rolled on scaffold pole offcuts (lathe) or machine skates (mill), LOTS of 7-ton ratchet straps.

Dave H. (the other one)

8. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    We have shipped Bridgeports on pallets no problem. Depending on postcodes typical cost about £60 plus vat.
    I had my own shipped that way.
    You need a good solid 120x100 pallet. Ply lined and then through bolted.
    Lower the knee as low as it can go. The head swivels so can hang upside down - much safer that way.
    Right on the limit for a tail lift - can be done but safer with a forklift.

Here is mine

[​IMG]

slim_boy_fat, addjunkie and daleyd like this.
  9. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
  10. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    Oh and as regards height - fitted through a standard set of double doors with the head inverted.

11. Mr Fro

Mr Fro Member

Thanks everyone!

@fizzy that picture says a thousand words! When you say tail lift, what's that on? I had a bike on the back of a Luton and that felt sketchy as heck. I wouldn't fancy it much with 5 x the weight!

£60 to ship it would be a dream, I don't think I'll get much change from £600 getting a firm to move it. I've got some quotes out so we shall see...

fizzy likes this.
  12. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    I run a pallet shipping business.
    Lorries have 1000kg tail lifts. Unless you have restricted access. 7.5 ton lorries 750kg tail lifts.
    It is right on the limit though.
    Much easier with a forklift.
    Sometimes customers get us to collect and ship across the UK then just pic up from a local depot with their own trailer.
    Lots of options.

daleyd likes this.
  13. Mr Fro

Mr Fro Member

Fancy shipping mine then? ;)

ukracer likes this.
  14. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    All depends on IF it is palletised correctly and loading and offloading facilities.
    It is always a bit of a gamble - one I usually take.
    Anything bigger than a Bridgeport definitely not!
    We shipped this today - a Colchester Triumph. I have one myself. I thought no way - but it is incredible how much shorter the bed is than mine. Bloke did a very nice job of palletising as well and they have forklifts so not so worried.

upload_2020-7-1_19-50-53.png

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  15. Mr Fro

Mr Fro Member

There's no assistance or forks at their end so that puts pay to that idea!

Thanks for the offer though.

fizzy likes this.
  16. 123hotchef Member

u can borrow the trailer i had for the saw!

17. Paul in Wiltshire Member

To move my three tonne milling machine I posted a note on the farming forums backloads section:
    https://thefarmingforum.co.uk/index.php?forums/haulage-and-backloads.104/

Within a week I had a bloke who was empty from Essex to Wiltshire call me. His truck was somewhat bigger than needed, but easily did the job. At the pickup end the seller knew what he was doing and made sure that it was properly secured. Didn’t cost peanuts but was less than a third the price I got quoted by a machinery mover.
    FE703688-C064-460A-B190-940F8B1CAA18.jpeg

0EBBB8E2-8E6A-4BD6-87B8-932C0541A305.jpeg

He got it into my garden, but then I needed to get it to the shed where my workshop is, which is up a field, not ideal in November. Called a local farmer who came with his three tonne Claas telehandler and moved it in exchange for beer. As he lifted it the back wheels lifted off the ground, but jib in and she was golden. I took full responsibility for the drive up the muddy hill. Was a bit scary, but all’s well...
    A812B646-82C1-4BC0-B483-247949E0D934.jpeg

Moved my M300 myself with an engine hoist and a rented hi top transit.

For a Bridgeport I’d search locally for a guy with a Hiab.

slim_boy_fat, galooph and daleyd like this.
  18. sako243

sako243 Member

6 wheeler Land Rover? :whistle:
    DSC_0089.JPG

19. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    Wow that is a beast - nothing beats a HIAB!

20. Paul in Wiltshire Member

Yup.
    99F308B5-4A2A-4736-B543-2FAEB19FC985.jpeg

Found a local lad with a three tonne HIAB who offered to do it, but a three tonne HIAB will only lift that close up.

Hopefuldave, fizzy and slim_boy_fat like this.
Advertisements