Mig course

1. James Maloney New Member

Long time lurker, just joined.

Booked on to a 10 week evening course £180 two hours per session. Didn’t think that was too bad.

Main reason for the course is that I need to learn something new to keep brain active! I’m a Joiner by trade and have my own workshop, so have a little room. Plus I’ve a Bongo that needs work, 23 years old, I’m happy to play on this unlikely to sale on.

Will need a mig a welder but was going to wait for the course to start to gain some knowledge first.

NO NOTHING ABOUT METAL.

Excited, looking forward to learning new skills.

Course is in Bristol 17/1/2019, please say hi if you’re on it. Course fully booked.

Cheers James.

2. gordon stephenson

gordon stephenson Forum Supporter

Welcome James, Good luck with the course.

3. dcocks

dcocks Member

Hope it all goes well. just wish I could find a tig course

4. Tangledfeet

Tangledfeet Forum Supporter

Yeah, I know what you mean about wanting to learn something new!

I've booked myself onto an evening course starting February, fourteen three-hour sessions for £250. The course offers MIG/MAG or TIG - I'd like to do the latter.

Mine should give me an SCQF (Scottish Credit and Qualifications Framework) Level 6 qualification, equivalent to a Level 3 RQF/CQFW in England & Wales.

5. skotl

skotl Forum Supporter

Welcome to the forum :waving:I did something similar about eight years ago; was bored and needed a hobby, so signed up for a 12 week evening course.
    Good luck!

6. James Maloney New Member

Cheers all. Resisting the urge to go out and buy a welder! Just don’t want to pick bad habits, plenty of time, plenty of time...

7. Barlidge

Barlidge Forum Supporter

Is Richard within travelling distance of you? he does tig tuition.

8. eddie49 Member

After doing a MIG, Arc, and Gas welding evening course for a few months, I then signed up for an NVQ Level 2 in woodwork.
    My wife said "At least when you come back from that, we can use your test samples for firewood" ....

9. dcocks

dcocks Member

He would not be so far away

10. FergalFarty Member

Where in Bristol is the course being held? I was looking for a course a couple of years ago and there were none available doing TIG apart from a custom bike building one which was £1000. I ended up doing one in Chippenham, which was not what I was hoping for.

Cheers

Fergal

11. James Maloney New Member

The course is ran from the parkway campus.

12. Tangledfeet

:confused:

13. James Maloney New Member

What’s not true?

14. Lordspectre

Lordspectre If it aint broke, tinker with it anyway

Fair play signing up to the course. I did a 2 week full time course and got a mig vertical/horizontal certification and now working as a welder going on two years. Best of luck

15. James Maloney New Member

That's great, fair play.

First night out of the way! So pretty much no more theory in the classroom all hands on now. Managed to squeeze in 40 minutes in the both laying down welds, it's bloody great fun. Practicing on 6mm for a while to learn and get confident. Half way through the 10 week course he said he'll tailor it for our own individual needs, mine being automotive repair and small box section etc for joinery pieces.
    Came away from there buzzing and really enjoyed it, chuffed to be learning a new skill.

Ashley Burton and Tangledfeet like this.
  16. Ashley Burton

Ashley Burton Member

I remember going on my C&G course which I also enjoyed as an introduction to welding

17. JulieandTony Member

Scotland
    There are a few places doing this course other than at Fife, most of which are cheaper.

The same course over at new college Lanarkshire is 3+ hours/wk for 12 weeks scqf6 @£100

I think Glasgow, Edinburgh, Midlothian and some others are also £120 - £240, some are scqf6, others are certificate of attendance.

The issue with having scqf levels, is that once you have passed the course, you can't take it again (unless you move between mma/mig/tig - or ask to fail the course - in which case you can re-take!).

Bit silly really, since if you could just keep going if would be possible to move on from just mild steel in 2F & 1G to other positions and materials

Tangledfeet likes this.
  18. Tangledfeet

Cheers for the info! Yes, other places may well be cheaper but this'll be very close to work (local college) so no additional time/distance to think about.

I'm a 'techie' teacher at a Fife secondary and teach N4/5 Practical Metalwork; the school had said that they'd pay for it if I did the MIG course (bear in mind today's financial climate in education, especially for Fife Council..!) but the thermal fusion (can do very basic flux core MIG or brazing) welding demands of the course are minimal and I can easily get the kids through that anyway.

I've recently bought an AC/DC pulse TIG and that's the direction I want to go at home - and it is another skill to acquire, keeps the old grey matter ticking over. My boss (we're a small department, only three of us) said that if I wanted to do the TIG then I couldn't expect the school to pay so I said I'd pay for it myself; I think he's actually going to do the MIG course himself despite being worked to the bone my senior management..!

Also, I can still put the course as CLPL (Career-long Professional Learning) that I have to do as part of my GTCS (General Teaching Council Scotland) requirements so its a win-win for me, I'm not too fussed about the cost of the course.

19. Mr Roo Member

where at..? don’t tell me you got taught by either Terry or Craig..??

20. skotl

skotl Forum Supporter

Can’t remember. Might have been a Craig actually - it was at what was Stevenson college
    Big fella - good fun?

Advertisements