Lawn mower bike!

1. Oscar Ballantine-pluck New Member

I’m a young lad and I need help quick. I started a gardening to help my uncle who’s now in a wheelchair. I need help building a bike which has a bike at the back and wheels at the front. I build wooden models and know what I need I just need help welding and constructing it. I don’t have much funds any help would be appreciated. Please if you can help email me oscarbp2003@outlook.com

2. stuvy

stuvy Member

Could you not drill it and use nut and bolts?

Have you either seen one you like or can you do a sketch of one?

3. barking mat

barking mat Member

Show us your plans or pictures, it's easier for us to imagine. And help.

4. Robotstar5

Robotstar5 Casanunda Staff Member

Welcome to the forum, can you post a sketch or some googled images of what you want, it sounds like a tricycle with 2 front wheels?.

5. Gareth0123

Gareth0123 You'll need 16 pigs to do the job in one sitting!

I understand what you need. …. …. …. you are after a flat bed front loading trike...…. I have seen several of these adapted for moving about a wheelchair user and cargo.

However, they are heavy, cumbersome and pigs to steer because they do not have Ackerman steering. I do believe that this style of trike is caller "El Burro" because they are donkeys to build, donkeys to steer and donkeys to ride but there are a few different ones out there.

eLuSiVeMiTe and stuvy like this.
  6. Gareth0123

Here is a link to the video I shot at the 2016 International Cargo Bike festival in Nijmegen

You will see several "El Burro" style cargo trikes in the video but I think the one at time mark 1 minute 54 seconds is something along the lines you would be interested in.
    It is made by Envan Corven and here is a link to his web page

https://envancorven.nl/modellen

I'll be over at the 2019 International Cargo Bike Festival in Groningen on the 14-16 June:

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 29, 2019
  7. Wallace

Wallace Member

Where does the lawn mower fit in?

Parm likes this.
  8. Gareth0123

On the front, between the wheels :laughing: as he pedals between jobs.

ronan, stuvy and Wallace like this.
  9. Wallace

Wallace Member

It's an exercise bike then........:p

10. Migmac

Migmac Member

Couldnt you make a trailer to tow behind a normal bike?

Gareth0123 and stuvy like this.
  11. Rig Pig

Rig Pig Member

Having peddled a holiday camp buggy with 2 children on-board I admire your enthusiasm but doubt that you will feel much like doing any work by the time you have peddled the thing any distance!

Wallace likes this.
  12. stuvy

stuvy Member

I have a 2 wheel cycle trolley we do the weekly shop

It’s hard work and braking really needs getting used too especially emergency stops in traffic

Does the delta trike you mention have the steering underneath the axle as opposed to conventional ice cream carts

13. Gareth0123

Actually that is a rather sensible idea.

The Carla Cargo trailer is available on a free to use non commercial licence (you can use it to commercially haul stuff, but you cannot commercial build and sell the trailers).

Last autumn and winter I built two of them as per the plans as part of a project with a friend. Both have electrical assist and over-run brakes and are currently being decked out by my friend as bike/trike towable caravans one as a Vardo and the second as a teardrop.

We've also got two Atomic Zombie Warrior trikes as work-in-progress as the towing units for these caravans. www.atomiczombie.com/plans/

Because the Carla Cargo trailer is a straight forward fabrication mainly made from square ERW box and 20x20x2 box all the material will be available off-the-shelf from any half decent local steel supplier. The fabrication and welds for this project would make a really good training exercise for someone starting out.

Please note that the plans are in German so you may need Google translate, but the step-by-step drawings and dimensions are easy to follow:

www.werkstatt-lastenrad.de/index.php?title=Bauanleitung_Carla_Cargo_Crowd

CARLA CARGO HOMEBUILT.jpg

baldy and CoValent like this.
  14. stuvy

stuvy Member

@Gareth0123 how do they do the rear axle/drive unit and stop the wheels falling off!?

• 3DEE407D-7320-4D53-B48B-D29457524898.png
  15. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

Check out Christiania Bikes on the net. It's a hippy community in Copenhagen and famous for designing and building cargo style bikes.

16. Gareth0123

plummer block bearings and homemade wheel flanges; alas the plans are right protected and have a file extension which prevents them from being passed on as PDFs maybe these screenshots will work.

17. CompoSimmonite Member

A sidecar would be a far easier option

bigegg, rockweasel and winchman like this.
  18. octo0072000

octo0072000 Member

sounds like he wants to put the wheel chair in the cargo area to take his dad out but lawnmower engine makes it instantly illegal on road or pavement or any council owned area or parks

19. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

"I need help building a bike which has a bike at the back and wheels at the front."

christianiabikesUSbeach.jpg

julianthegypsy and slim_boy_fat like this.
  20. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

Advertisements