Lanoguard rust protection

1. decca

decca Forum Supporter

I’ve got a camper van and would like to give it a bit of protection on some parts underneath that have a bit of surface rust.
    Came across lanoguard (seems to be made of sheep) does anyone have any experience of this product?

https://www.lanoguard.co.uk/pages/why-lanoguard

It seems too easy.

2. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

It must be good, sheep are out in all weather and you never see a rusty one :D

lewlux, Bryan Williams, Gwil and 18 others like this.
  3. steveo3002 Member

cambridge uk
    seems to be a new product out , not seen much about it apart from the seller praising it

they all look good sprayed on , but no one ever shows a car 10 year later to show how it worked

nickk, decca and Rannsachair like this.
  4. decca

decca Forum Supporter

That made me spit my coffee out. :laughing::laughing:.

5. decca

decca Forum Supporter

Yes I’m a bit sceptical. Seen some positive comments on a few Landrover sites hoped some one here might know if lanolin has any rust inhibiting qualities.

6. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

Lanolin based protection seems to work against corrosion according to a scientific study I found on google. More industrial than DIY but it looks favourable.

7. decca

decca Forum Supporter

Looked at that and it looks encouraging. The only thing is the page was plastered with Lanogaurd ads, makes me think they are involved in the research or am I paranoid.

mike os likes this.
  8. steveo3002 Member

cambridge uk
    any coating that stops the air works somewhat

i dont think theres a miracle fix ..use something , check and reapply often , dont expect it to cure a rotten heap thats on its last legs

9. Country Joe

Country Joe Argoshield Dark

Yeah, I've used it a few times over the last few years, mostly on a boat.
    It seemed pretty good on everything I used it on - like an animal-based ACF-50, in a way.

The packaging has changed since I first came across it.
    I'll try to up-load a PDF that I have from around the time.**

All the Best,
    CJ

**I tried, but couldn't, as it's too big.
    (9.3 MB)

10. badabec

badabec Forum Supporter

On the Australian French car forum (aussiefrogs), lanolin is often quoted as a good rust preventative. But, being Australian, the lanolin smell attracts the local wildlife, rats especially. They use a product Lanox, it is used as a rust preventer and a general lubricant, a bit like WD40.

Or make your own
    https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/lanolin-and-as-rust-preventer.70896/

We used to sell pure lanolin in our pharmacy, it has the consistency of warm toffee.

11. steveo3002 Member

cambridge uk
    yeah last thing you want is rodents coming after it

12. Country Joe

Country Joe Argoshield Dark

I didn't know about the attracting rodents thing, though!
    Sort of limits it's use a bit, in a way.

You'd think it would be a problem for sheep, as there seem to be more than enough rodents out here in the sticks!
    They probably never get a decent night's sleep, getting chewed at by a crew of rodents if they dare to drop off!

Possibly, of an evening while we count sheep - they're out there, scared stiff, and at the same time, totally knackered out from counting rats!

None of the "too big to post, here" PDF - which in fairness, is 27 pages long - gives it any mention, unsurprisingly!
    Marketing Folk, eh? - "Accentuate the positive", and all that sort of stuff!

All the Best,
    CJ

Exuptoy likes this.
  13. keithski122 Member

uk
    Do they use it on oil rigs, thats the usual promotional gumph.

14. steveo3002 Member

cambridge uk
    or nato /mod

15. Matchless

Matchless I started with nothing, still have most of it left

I have been rust bothering on my son's BMW E30 touring and an old Rover Metro this week, retired, my ar5s! anyhow I managed to recycle about two litres of old engine oil into the sills and chassis rails.....

16. keithski122 Member

uk
    My dad used old engine oil to rust proof his vehicles, I refused to work on them after they got so manky underneath with all the dirt stuck to horrible old oil.

vw1 likes this.
  17. steveo3002 Member

cambridge uk
    tended to work though eh

18. keithski122 Member

uk
    I guess so, I haven't touched it for at least 15 years though.

19. bricol Member

N.Yorks, UK
    Don't you find it softens all the seam sealer, makes the underseal fall off and weakens the paint - so causing more issues than using almost anything else?

20. Aussie Bruce Member

Australia
    I have been using Lanotec products for years also Lanox WD40 is too light and doesn't last / hold up well over time here in Australia its the local product no problems with rats cause i don't have a 20 litre drum of pure lanolin grease sitting around the shed :)

Bruce

Advertisements